BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > M Sport Brakes - to get or not to get?

07-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
rickyjones1209
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

M Sport Brakes - to get or not to get?

Evening all, my long wait to pick up an M2 Comp is almost over. I decided nearly a year ago that I'll be moving to an M2 Comp for my next car but thought I'd wait to pick one up after winter, then the world stopped!

Anyway, as I weigh up whether I buy new or used one thing I'm sure on is the spec, Hockenheim silver, comfort pack, plus pack and M Sport Brakes. At least so I thought.

I've always assumed I'd spec the brakes but I've seen suggestions that they add cost but not a whole lot more in terms of performance, unless of course I'm doing heavy track work, which I won't be.

Of course they look great, but wanted to try and get a balanced view from owners that have chosen to spec the brakes or not, and why that decision was made.

Are there any practical reasons outside of cost and aesthetics why you would or wouldn't choose to spec the brakes?

Thoughts and opinions please!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 01:42 AM   #2
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjones1209 View Post
Evening all, my long wait to pick up an M2 Comp is almost over. I decided nearly a year ago that I'll be moving to an M2 Comp for my next car but thought I'd wait to pick one up after winter, then the world stopped!

Anyway, as I weigh up whether I buy new or used one thing I'm sure on is the spec, Hockenheim silver, comfort pack, plus pack and M Sport Brakes. At least so I thought.

I've always assumed I'd spec the brakes but I've seen suggestions that they add cost but not a whole lot more in terms of performance, unless of course I'm doing heavy track work, which I won't be.

Of course they look great, but wanted to try and get a balanced view from owners that have chosen to spec the brakes or not, and why that decision was made.

Are there any practical reasons outside of cost and aesthetics why you would or wouldn't choose to spec the brakes?

Thoughts and opinions please!
I have an OG M2 and the standard brakes with uprated pads (Endless Mx72 in my case) are very good anyway. I guess it would depend on how much extra the performance brake option was as to whether it was worth it. I suspect much of the benefit comes from different pads in that kit.
A new pad set for the standard brakes will cost you 350-500 depending on your pad choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:03 AM   #3
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I specified them on mine but it was more from an aesthetic point of view than a performance one.

My car is HS and I think the brakes go very well with that colour.

From a performance point of view they are excellent brakes and very large, particularly the front discs of 400mm I believe which is larger than many high performance cars.

They are likely very heavy and if you are serious about tracking the car frequently I'm sure there are many better aftermarket high performance braking systems out there which are superior.

If like me you like the look and the added potential performance then I think they are absolutely worth the money.

If you want to track the car a lot, I'd save the money and put it towards an aftermarket system.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
I specified them on mine but it was more from an aesthetic point of view than a performance one.

From a performance point of view they are excellent brakes and very large, particularly the front discs of 400mm I believe which is larger than many high performance cars.

They are likely very heavy and if you are serious about tracking the car frequently I'm sure there are many better aftermarket high performance braking systems out there which are superior.

If like me you like the look and the added potential performance then I think they are absolutely worth the money.

If you want to track the car a lot, I'd save the money and put it towards an aftermarket system.
There is about 0 reasons to spec the big silver brakes asside from looks.

Blue brakes work just as well on the road as the silver ones. Remember stopping power/distance is determined mainly by your tires not brakes. Big brakes only let you stop hard more often as they have more thermal mass.

If you are overheating the blue brakes then you will only delay overheating the silvers by a tiny margin (usually a couple laps difference on track).

Upgrading pads and fluid on the blues is cheaper than jumping to the silver brakes.

Other things to consider.

Silver brake parts cost more than blue brake parts.

Silver brakes limit you to 19 inch + wheels. Silver brakes are very close to the barel of 19" wheels and any stone will chew up the inside of the barel and caliper (plenty of complaints about this on the forum).

Silver brakes require the removal of the caliper to replace brake pads.
      07-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post

There is about 0 reasons to spec the big silver brakes asside from looks.

Blue brakes work just as well on the road as the silver ones. Remember stopping power/distance is determined mainly by your tires not brakes. Big brakes only let you stop hard more often as they have more thermal mass.

If you are overheating the blue brakes then you will only delay overheating the silvers by a tiny margin (usually a couple laps difference on track).

Upgrading pads and fluid on the blues is cheaper than jumping to the silver brakes.

Other things to consider.

Silver brake parts cost more than blue brake parts.

Silver brakes limit you to 19 inch + wheels. Silver brakes are very close to the barel of 19" wheels and any stone will chew up the inside of the barel and caliper (plenty of complaints about this on the forum).

Pretty much my point as my main reason for choosing them was aesthetics.

All valid things to consider in your post for sure.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
too hot
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: None

Mine has the blue brakes and is for sale if you are interested?

Don’t know if you found an M2 Comp yet?
If not I am selling mine,quick details:
December 19 ,one keeper (me),Hockenheim silver, 730 miles !
Cherished car always garaged hardly used !
M2 comfort pack and M2 plus pack.
This car is as new totally unmarked showroom condition.
If you require more details give me a shout thanks
On Pistonheads as from today.

RS4

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #7
KudosM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 V8

What’s the cheapest the bigger brake kit is available?

Think they look great and if a suitable cost worth it for aesthetics alone

YMB M4 Journal : http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1144574

IG: fc_r3lxd
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post

This! Blue brakes give you many more wheel options. USA here so blues are not an option. Thinking I would have gone with the blues given the choice. Adds nice contrast to HS as the silvers blend in and almost disappear.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:44 AM   #9
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KudosM3 View Post
What’s the cheapest the bigger brake kit is available?

Think they look great and if a suitable cost worth it for aesthetics alone
About 4K all in vs like 2K at the dealer as an option on the car.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...76747-223-1826

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...86382-223-1826
      07-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #10
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Maybe a little too late to the party, but I have a '17 M2 LCI and recently took it to Bedford Autodrome GT circuit. Car is completely stock with the Blue standard brakes, except goodridge braided lines, RBF600 fluid and had Ferodo DSUno pads on the day.
The car braked very well the whole day without any loss in confidence. I could feel the slightly longer braking distance from the start till end of day, but that is expected.
The pedal had a firm and solid feel the whole day.
If function is important, then the standard brakes will work perfectly fine.
PS: My skillset is no where near the pros, but I suspect they would have been kinder on the brakes.
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00