BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Anyone else at port?

06-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2020 m2c

Garage List
Anyone else at port?

I know it sometimes takes a bit longer for newly built BMWs destined for US west coast to get out of the port in Bremerhaven, so I'm not too concerned that my car is on its 6th day "at the port".

I think my SA may have been furloughed because he has recently stopped responding to my emails, so I am trying to see what I can find out on my own.

I've had some fun watching ships come and go at the Bremerhaven port and trying to figure out where they're headed. Thus far 6 have come and gone and 3 more are there right now. But non appear to be headed to Port Hueneme (although not 100% sure).

Specifically, I've been watching ships come and go, using https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...53.575/zoom:15, and trying to figure out which, if any, are destined for Port Hueneme, using https://www.importinfo.com/search/ma...ee=&commodity= (which I know is historical manifest data, but I assume would help identify if any specific ship has a habit of coming to Port Hueneme, and hence may do so again with my baby aboard).

Just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation, i.e. new order sitting in port, waiting for a ride to Port Hueneme?

Also, looking for anyone with recent experience who may have additional web sources to monitor? The awesome sticky post on order tracking has some now-outdated links, and it seems some things (like VIN search) are no longer available, due to policy changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just a quick update. Today is day 10 at the port in Bremerhaven for my M2C. I've checked marinetraffic site 2X per day and noted 15 different vehicles carriers in port at Bremerhaven over the past 10 days, and have been tracking locations after they leave port. Only one motoring toward the Americas, and it's heading to Chile, i.e. west coast of South America.

I've also looked up manifest histories and have found only one of those 15 has been to Port Hueneme in the past six months, that's the "Morning Catherine". She left Bremerhaven on June 17 and will be arriving in Southampton tomorrow. So I'm anxiously awaiting where she goes after that.

The bmwusa site still lists order stats as "at port".

I guess based on the lack of response on this thread most folks who want M2C's are still finding a good supply in US dealer inventories, so not many people with M2Cs at Bremerhaven
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
Helles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Here's a link on tracking.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1181156

In the past, mine have come via Wallenius Wilhemlsen and I've been able to put in my vin to locate the ship via marine traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helles View Post
Here's a link on tracking.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1181156

In the past, mine have come via Wallenius Wilhemlsen and I've been able to put in my vin to locate the ship via marine traffic.
Thanks, yes, I devoured that link and that's what I've been using as a basis for my monitoring. I also really loved the video of the assembly line, the robots they use are pretty impressive.

When was the last time you did an order? Do you remember how long your car waited at Bremerhaven port? I"m trying to determine if the wait will be longer due to reduced demand or other factors.

Unfortunately, WW's site no longer allows VIN-based lookup, there is a note about that being part of a security enhancement to their site, not sure when they did that, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Helles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

It's been 4 years since my last ED. Got a last one scheduled for mid-sept (as long as tourism travel opens).
It seems like it left port pretty quickly and got across the Atlantic. The wait was always at customs state side. Have you tried to call the BMW genius? They may be able to give you closer tracking info
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Raven just said my M2 is on the Toreador, currently in Zeebrugge and expected to arrive in the US (NJ) July 9th!
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00
      06-23-2020, 02:29 AM   #7
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
Raven just said my M2 is on the Toreador, currently in Zeebrugge and expected to arrive in the US (NJ) July 9th!
Quote:
That's great, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #8
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Woohoo! Thats wonderful news!

However, doesn't Raven only deal with ED? Or can you contact her regarding updates even if you're doing US delivery?
      06-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #9
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Woohoo! Thats wonderful news!

However, doesn't Raven only deal with ED? Or can you contact her regarding updates even if you're doing US delivery?
I was originally doing ED but could not get to Germany in May so she switched it to my dealer for same price. Despite losing a just over a grand courtesy of Expedia on the hotel I'm ok with not risking the family going to Europe this year. Would have been nice to do it but Europe is going to be weird for travel this year.
When things get better we will do the factory tour and Welt and rent a BMW for the trip.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      06-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #10
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I went through similar. Started with ED back in January, planning a June pickup and have since switched over to US delivery. I'm on west coast and my SA just heard back from the BMW distro mgr. With respect to US west coast deliveries post-pandemic onset -

* Auriga Leader - this was the first ship in over two months to leave Bremerhaven for Port Hueneme. It left Bremerhaven on 6/5, 4 days before my car hit the port. I see its position is now just southwest of the Panama Canal, starting to chug up the coast to a port in Mexico before making its way to SoCal.
* Sagittarius Leader - this is the second ship for west coast, and even as I write it is being towed into Bremerhaven port. It is scheduled to leave Bremerhaven on 6/26 and arrive at Port Hueneme on 7/21.

Had the ED gone as planned, we would have already visited Munich, Bled, and Prague and would in fact would have already flown through 1200 miles and had it serviced in Stuttgart before heading to the west coast of France to meet up with friends.

We were able to get a cash refund from Norwegian Air and a couple hotels we pre-booked, but just got vouchers from stuff we booked through Expedia (Easy Jet and a hotel in Munich).

I'm also thinking we'll do a similar trip in a year or two. The last (and now will be the only) time we did ED was in 2006, and the Welt was under construction. I was really hoping to be able to drive out of there, but on the grand scale of things, that's a nice problem to have...!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Are you sure you're on Toreador? This site says Toreador left Southampton and is now on its way to Sweden, ETA is 6/27 02:00 UTC. That seems like an odd path to NJ.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...essel:TOREADOR
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #12
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobped View Post
Quote:

Are you sure you're on Toreador? This site says Toreador left Southampton and is now on its way to Sweden, ETA is 6/27 02:00 UTC. That seems like an odd path to NJ.

Yes- after Gothenburg on June 27th it goes to Halifax NS arriving July 6, New Jersey July 9.
They must do the schedule based on best use of fuel vs load and they might be picking up Volvo's? Eventually end up in Charleston where I expect they drop off for Performance Center Delivery vehicles. Then pick up the US built cars bound for Europe. Data on times is on the website.

https://www.walleniuswilhelmsen.com/schedules
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes- after Gothenburg on June 27th it goes to Halifax NS arriving July 6, New Jersey July 9.
They must do the schedule based on best use of fuel vs load and they might be picking up Volvo's? Eventually end up in Charleston where I expect they drop off for Performance Center Delivery vehicles. Then pick up the US built cars bound for Europe. Data on times is on the website.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, makes sense now. Sagittarius Leader left Bremerhaven and then popped right back into port 22 hours later! It's an NYK ship, https://www.nykroro.com/documents/RTW-AFCON/RTWwk25.pdf.

We live in San Diego and I just noticed it is scheduled to actually stop here July 22, before heading up to Port Hueneme. Wish I could just hop on and drive it off when it's at port here
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #14
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Quick question, I may have missed it in a post earlier. But once your car finishes production, how do you know which transport it was assigned to?
      06-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #15
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quick question, I may have missed it in a post earlier. But once your car finishes production, how do you know which transport it was assigned to?
You can ask your BMW Sales Advisor or if like me and was scheduled for European Delivery you can get that info from Raven.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      06-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #16
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh sure, that's the easy way, just ask your SA or genius . The more OCD way is to monitor the port for ships coming into and out of Bremerhaven once your car reaches "at port" status (on the bmwusa.com sight), and then infer once your car goes to "in transit" status (a few days after it leaves port) which ship it is on. There are only 3-4 ships in port at a time, so we're not talking a ton of ships...

I assume you've read this post?

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1225876

Just check once per day on the live map here and you can see what ships are there.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...53.551/zoom:14

Are you on the west coast?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #17
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, not so fast for me. My SA emailed to let me know my car didn't make it onto Sagittarius Leader, next ship for west coast is Monoceros Leader, which is at Zeebruge right now, so just a short delay, hopefully.

Our ED trip would have been winding down now, our plan was to return the car to Antwerp on July 1. Time flies and then you die. Hence buy a nice car...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #18
JCZ5
Major
Rep

Thanks bobped, I saw that thread you referenced previously. But forgot exactly the procedure haha. Thanks for including again.

And I am on the East Coast. I will probably contact my CA and then monitor the ships location via your second link. I still have a few weeks before my car finishes production. However, I also heard production usually starts a week before your given prod week. Therefore, I should see some movement next week if all goes well.

Also, Im doing PCD, do you happen to know if the port of entry will be Baltimore then? Or is there another port closer to Spartanburg?
      06-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #19
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Depending on the schedule I would doubt that a Performance Center delivery would be picked up in Baltimore. Most likely it would be Charleston SC which unfortunately is the last stop for most of these boats as they then pick up the US built cars.

Here's my schedule ( mine will be offloaded in NJ).
Not a huge difference as these boats don't waste any time offloading and then the prep time might be longer depending on truck transport schedules.
Attached Images

'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      07-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Probably the closest I'll get to the car before I see it at the dealership.
Attached Images

'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:49 AM   #21
bobped
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A brutal 31 days at port for me. Monoceros Leader departed Bremerhaven yesterday with my M2C, on a scheduled 27 day trip to Port Hueneme.

Had we done our ED we might have made the same ship, guess that was just meant to be.

It's only the third US West Coast bound ship with new BMW's since the lockdown.

The first just left Port Hueneme for Yokohama and the second just left Santo Domingo heading to Panama.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #22
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

I'm at the port and hoping to be assigned to a vessel soon.
Appreciate 0