BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MILVS retrofit F87 n55

11-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I think it was supposed to give a 5 whp gain with no additional tuning, and 15 whp if pushed hard with tuning and mods. Don't quote these numbers as I haven't been reading about milvs for a really long time.
Bee Pee1766.50
      12-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Guys, trying to figure out a way to get a comparison with these. I'm going to baseline the car - FBO+Stock tune, but then:

Stage FP tune
Stage FP tune + MILVS? I'm not sure what else can be done. I'm ultimately interested in having a tune like the BM3 Stage 2+ but pump only, so we'll see how close I can get.
      12-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #25
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Guys, trying to figure out a way to get a comparison with these. I'm going to baseline the car - FBO+Stock tune, but then:

Stage FP tune
Stage FP tune + MILVS? I'm not sure what else can be done. I'm ultimately interested in having a tune like the BM3 Stage 2+ but pump only, so we'll see how close I can get.
I presume this upgrade will need specific tuning to take advantage of the extra lift? Not just a case of fit them then gain some extra top end on the same map? If the later is the case then something like the e30 stage 2+ Map pre and post milvs would be really interesting to see.

I think ultimately on the n55 a hpfp will be required to get towards the turbo limits and show any gains that the milvs might add up top. I’m not sure we’d see any while there’s a fuelling limit in place?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #26
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
I presume this upgrade will need specific tuning to take advantage of the extra lift? Not just a case of fit them then gain some extra top end on the same map? If the later is the case then something like the e30 stage 2+ Map pre and post milvs would be really interesting to see.

I think ultimately on the n55 a hpfp will be required to get towards the turbo limits and show any gains that the milvs might add up top. I’m not sure we’d see any while there’s a fuelling limit in place?
A HPFP is a must at this point, and I'm on MHD - so No Stage 2 plus E30 for me.
      05-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #27
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

My car is in the shop getting some maintenance done and a few upgrades (MST V2 inlet, Turbosmart DV, new pads, and fresh fluids, OEM spark plugs) and the mechanic asked about the MILVS. (he basically offered to install them)

I wanted to do a before dyno (completely stock, FBO no tune) and then install them, so maybe in the next few weeks?
      05-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My car is in the shop getting some maintenance done and a few upgrades (MST V2 inlet, Turbosmart DV, new pads, and fresh fluids, OEM spark plugs) and the mechanic asked about the MILVS. (he basically offered to install them)

I wanted to do a before dyno (completely stock, FBO no tune) and then install them, so maybe in the next few weeks?
Dang can't wait to see the results. But it won't show the real results of the MILVS if you do all the bolt ons as well.
      05-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #29
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Dang can't wait to see the results. But it won't show the real results of the MILVS if you do all the bolt ons as well.
If they do a pre-MILVs dyno and post-MILVs dyno with the only variable changing being the MILVs upgrade then the deltas should be directionally similar, no?
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 2
F87source7233.50
AmuroRay2263.00
      05-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
If they do a pre-MILVs dyno and post-MILVs dyno with the only variable changing being the MILVs upgrade then the deltas should be directionally similar, no?
Oh yes then the delta would be due to the MILVS.

My bad I thought you were doing stock dyno, then FBO + MILVS dyno.
      05-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #31
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

Interested in the results as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #32
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Any update?!

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 04:48 PM   #33
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

2 years later, I’m scheduled for the install of these with my Race Intercooler and HPFP.

I’ll be running pump gas - already have the new file for them, just don’t have them in the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 10:35 AM   #34
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Quote:
2 years later, I’m scheduled for the install of these with my Race Intercooler and HPFP.

I’ll be running pump gas - already have the new file for them, just don’t have them in the car.

I’ve been sitting on a set of MILVs since Covid as well, is stage Fp still doing your tuning?
Debating the same approach, Stock turbo with MILVs on 93 with possibly a B58Tu pump, but there’s almost no information about N55 plus MILVs results.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #35
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
I’ve been sitting on a set of MILVs since Covid as well, is stage Fp still doing your tuning?
Debating the same approach, Stock turbo with MILVs on 93 with possibly a B58Tu pump, but there’s almost no information about N55 plus MILVs results.
I personally would go with David shoup or steven @ wedge performance, these guys are all top notch tuners. Ive contacted Bob before and no repl at all, his customer service isn't the greatest imo.
      05-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #36
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I personally would go with David shoup or steven @ wedge performance, these guys are all top notch tuners. Ive contacted Bob before and no repl at all, his customer service isn't the greatest imo.
I was thinking Bob seeing how he was kinda the OG in regards to regards to tuning for MILVs.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 11:59 AM   #37
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking Bob seeing how he was kinda the OG in regards to regards to tuning for MILVs.
That is true, but his customer service isn't the best which is what turned me away from him. Plus the 2 tuners I mentioned before are some of the most experienced tuners I have ever seen for the bmw platform. They can do things most tuners have never done before, such as tune an n55 to run without a diverter valve by using the S55's boost venting strategy.

Plus from the few tuners I talked to, the milvs don't need to be tuned. The car apparently can adapt, to make more power you might need to tune to optimize it.
      05-26-2023, 12:53 PM   #38
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Same,

I got a set from Marty in 2018/19 - before COVID at least. I know that I spoke to StageFP about it at the time, because I was suggested MHD vs some of the others for this reason. I got their off the shelf tune then, which I recently dynoed at about 380whp. Recently I reached out to StageFP through email and, then I called and reached Bob directly, where I explained what I was looking for and how we could do it.

StageFP is a not just a tuner, but also a service and fabrication shop (they did a 450whp? water-intercooled Supercharger for an N52 for a member) for multiple brands, so I think sometimes a call works better than email. I know everyone likes to do do everything completely online, but sometimes it's better to catch up through the phone. I think even some tuners are online only and don't even accept calls, which can be frustrating if that's the only mode of communication.

Anyhow, Bob has already sent me a tune for the car. We talked about the platforms even allowing the right tables to be modified to use them, and he said that even after a few emails he hasn't seen them add the correct tables to do the mod. Maybe it has changed, maybe not, but he knows where they are on MHD (or it's already included) so that works for me.

I know Bob is the one who made the original tune for these when I sent him a set for the N52, and as far as I know the only other N/S55 tune that has them was made by him, so who else would know how to tune for it?
Anyhow we have to see if these actually work, so I have a basemap to install that has changed a few parameters. I am shooting to push the power curve more to the right, and I bought the wireless adapter from BM3 (V3) to run with MHD to make my logging easier. I'm also (trying) to beef up the intake with a larger reflective taped chargepipe, larger intercooler and boost pipe (should I wrap a boost pipe?) I did the inlet, did the intake - both lead to a decrease in WGDC, I'm doing a larger diameter exhaust system (pending on being installed - Super Sprint and AWE say it's worth approximate 10whp on a stock boost car)

So ideally, low WGDC with higher flow and more fueling...more power?

Last edited by AmuroRay; 05-26-2023 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 12:59 PM   #39
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That is true, but his customer service isn't the best which is what turned me away from him. Plus the 2 tuners I mentioned before are some of the most experienced tuners I have ever seen for the bmw platform. They can do things most tuners have never done before, such as tune an n55 to run without a diverter valve by using the S55's boost venting strategy.

Plus from the few tuners I talked to, the milvs don't need to be tuned. The car apparently can adapt, to make more power you might need to tune to optimize it.
I 100% doubt that. Especially on something like MHD which is load based vs boost based. They might just assume the car will make more power through boost, but if the car is only fueling running timing for specific torque and it's not modeled correctly, I doubt it will make much more.

Basically, they don't know for sure and they may not even know how to tune for it.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 05-28-2023 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 09:40 PM   #40
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I 100% doubt that. Especially on something like MHD which is load based vs boost based. The night just assume the car will make more power through boost, but if the car is only fueling running timing for specific torque and it's not modeled correctly I doubt it will make much more.

Basically, they don't know and they may not even know how.
It's not going to make more power, I'm just saying the car will work without tuning. Because valvetronic lift will just be a mm higher, so there will be a bit more air which will be compensated for (closed loop fuelling). IIRC I talked to Marty about this, and he confirmed it'll run without a tune, it just won't be able to make any more power.

This is a good thing because you'll be able to drive from the shop to a dyno for tuning, or do a street tune without needing a base map first.
      05-26-2023, 11:26 PM   #41
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I already have a tune for it on my M235i, but it's obviously not installed yet.

And Marty keeps on saying that, but I had the MILVs for my N52, and it made zero extra power before the tune.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 05-28-2023 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2023, 07:47 PM   #42
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I already have a tune for it.

Marty keeps on saying that, but I had that tune for my N52, and it made zero extra power before the tune.
I’m also debating 22rdp for a MILVs tune, I guess they’re doing all the N52 tunes now.

So your planning on doing the bigger exhaust mid-pipe, HPFP, and MILVs for a maxed out stock turbo setup? Has Bob been responsive on expected gains with all the combined? I know they worked on my N52, but I’m a little skeptical about the time installing them with no supporting evidence of there gains exclusively on the n55 engine.

I can’t see them not helping though, especially with the high drive pressue of the factory turbo. If the S55 showed gains, why wouldn’t the N55, both engines share most of the valvetrain. If I had the time and resources, I’d like to run the shuenk N55+, weld the Wastegate flap shut, add a 45mm divided external Wastegate flange on the factory manifold, and run a gigantic open dump tube.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2263.00
      05-28-2023, 10:39 AM   #43
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I’m also debating 22rdp for a MILVs tune, I guess they’re doing all the N52 tunes now.

So your planning on doing the bigger exhaust mid-pipe, HPFP, and MILVs for a maxed out stock turbo setup? Has Bob been responsive on expected gains with all the combined? I know they worked on my N52, but I’m a little skeptical about the time installing them with no supporting evidence of there gains exclusively on the n55 engine.

I can’t see them not helping though, especially with the high drive pressue of the factory turbo. If the S55 showed gains, why wouldn’t the N55, both engines share most of the valvetrain. If I had the time and resources, I’d like to run the shuenk N55+, weld the Wastegate flap shut, add a 45mm divided external Wastegate flange on the factory manifold, and run a gigantic open dump tube.
I don't think they tune for the N55. But I had the same thoughts on the S55 vs N55 with them. For me, I was always planning on doing them - then life happened lol. Bob hasn't really said much about gains, because unlike the N52, this is more uncharted territory. I think there is only a handful of people who have them (you and I included) and I doubt the other people post much on social media, because I haven't seen it.

Better late than never, we'll see what the logs say and go from there.
      06-06-2023, 02:04 PM   #44
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Mechanic was digging in, and saw that the spark plug well was damaged and recommended I replace it, and do the OFHG at the same time, since everything will be out (valve cover and intake manifold)
So we are waiting on those parts. Should have it together by next week, so I’ll keep it updated.

What’s the highest the MAF can read? On BM3 it’s 46lb/in but MHD I’ve seen it go higher. 351g/s for me (usually around 34xg/s) and 400g/s on a Pure stage 2 car.
This will give us some idea of additional airflow. I’m hoping for “just” a 10% increase lol. We’ll see.
Attached Images

Last edited by AmuroRay; 06-06-2023 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0