BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > MY2020 A45 AMG - true BMW M2C Rival?

07-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #45
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanEJC View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
4 banger is boosted too much for my liking. While a hatch back would be nice, we won't see on stateside. I'd tsk a proper RWD platform car over th FWD based A class even though th AMG ones are AWD. straight 6's are the only way to go for small cars. V8's in the big guys

X2..... MB is using a mouse motor again and their direction isnt focused. Their performance stats lately haven't been good unlike BMW that underrates their performance specs. In this category you go Cayman GT4 for a two seater, RS3 for a sedan and the M2C for the best of both worlds. You cant beat the rwd and chassis setup of the M2C. IMO these magazine comparisons are crap and to justify their jobs. If you dont understand what the M2C is and how pure its focus is above all the others then I would rather you not buy one as you will never get what its about. Go buy a friggen Hellcat for the same money.
That's very on point. I'd like to pick one up but I'm not entirely sure if I'll be moving this year or not yet, so for now I'm holding off. The 5cyl from Audi is another really good engine ruined by their FWD/AWD platform. I know RWD platforms like the CLAR are less common these days but if we don't support them we risk losing out to the cheaper FWD garbage for performance vehicles. I have a feeling the M2C will be a classic in due time especially if the next gen doesn't stick to it's roots.
Next Gen BMW 2 Series Coupe Will Retain RWD Says BMW Chief Engineer https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1630541
I know but it may get more techy with screens which is what I was referring to via idrive 7 no more analog dials sadly
Just look at the new 2 series grand coupe, looks like the 1 series and the interior will most likely be the same. I'd welcome Idrive7 and a digital dash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #46
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
yep, even newer RFTs suck. no BMW should use them or luxury vehicle for that matter
Debatable, but I do agree RFTs have too many compromises.

That said the reason they even exist is because of companies like BMW pushing for them. A spare weighs more than the difference between standard tires and 4 RFTs. It's all about that lowered weight and fuel economy.

Pretty surprised that all we get is a mobility kit tho. I'm kind of leaning towards carrying a spare but I may just get my car flatbedded if I do get a flat.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #47
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Quote:
yep, even newer RFTs suck. no BMW should use them or luxury vehicle for that matter

That said the reason they even exist is because of companies like BMW pushing for them. A spare weighs more than the difference between standard tires and 4 RFTs. It's all about that lowered weight and fuel economy.

Pretty surprised that all we get is a mobility kit tho. I'm kind of leaning towards carrying a spare but I may just get my car flatbedded if I do get a flat.
Spare tires can be removed for around town driving and added for road trips. RFTs still weight more than normal tires and you can't just quickly remove them for daily driving so. I keep my spare in the garage unless I'm going on a long trip (100+ miles one way) so the weight remains a non-issue
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:32 AM   #48
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Spare tires can be removed for around town driving and added for road trips. RFTs still weight more than normal tires and you can't just quickly remove them for daily driving so. I keep my spare in the garage unless I'm going on a long trip (100+ miles one way) so the weight remains a non-issue
You are an atypical consumer. My parents would just leave the spare in there for life until they need it.

BMW has to report their weight with a spare if it was provided and must perform Fuel Economy tests accordingly(don't think like an enthusiast for a sec).

Can you take it off? Sure. But 4 RFTs weigh less than 4 STD tires + a spare.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #49
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I weighted a Michelin Pilot Super Sport against a RunFlat Pirelli P Zero of equivalent specs and the difference was literally 7 ounce. I weighed various tires to confirm this, they we're all within one pound of each other.

Tire technology has caught to the point where the weight difference negligible and performance is on par with non Run-flats.

Also, as ironic as it sounds, there is actually a performance advantage with runflats simply because the sidewall is reinforced, by design, it doesn't flex as much as non runflat, under heavy rebounds, thus giving the driver a more responsive steering feel.

In addition, at high speeds, there is 100% assurance that run-flats would not blowout, possible causing the vehicle to lose control, as oppose to its counterpart. There are videos online of BMW testing their bullet-proof vehicles, fitted with run-flat tires, which after being shot at with a AK-47, it was still able to be driven off, from the location of the attack. Cool..

Obviously, non run-flats would always champion in conform, due to the pliable sidewalls but the current generation offering of runflats are not that far back in terms of livability.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2019, 02:00 AM   #50
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
You are an atypical consumer. My parents would just leave the spare in there for life until they need it.

BMW has to report their weight with a spare if it was provided and must perform Fuel Economy tests accordingly(don't think like an enthusiast for a sec).

Can you take it off? Sure. But 4 RFTs weigh less than 4 STD tires + a spare.
But 4 rft weight a lot more in term of rotating masses and unsprung masses, which have effects on driving more than a spare tire in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #51
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I weighted a Michelin Pilot Super Sport against a RunFlat Pirelli P Zero of equivalent specs and the difference was literally 7 ounce. I weighed various tires to confirm this, they we're all within one pound of each other.

Tire technology has caught to the point where the weight difference negligible and performance is on par with non Run-flats.

Also, as ironic as it sounds, there is actually a performance advantage with runflats simply because the sidewall is reinforced, by design, it doesn't flex as much as non runflat, under heavy rebounds, thus giving the driver a more responsive steering feel.

In addition, at high speeds, there is 100% assurance that run-flats would not blowout, possible causing the vehicle to lose control, as oppose to its counterpart. There are videos online of BMW testing their bullet-proof vehicles, fitted with run-flat tires, which after being shot at with a AK-47, it was still able to be driven off, from the location of the attack. Cool..

Obviously, non run-flats would always champion in conform, due to the pliable sidewalls but the current generation offering of runflats are not that far back in terms of livability.
I'll have to check bur I'm certain it's more than 7 ounces unless they dramatically improved them. I don't like how they ride regardless, bouncy hard hits aren't exactly confidence inspring plus I promise they can still blow out like a normal tire.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #52
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm certain it's more than 7 ounces
I know on this forum some of you guys don't believe in actual proof but here goes nothing:

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #53
Poochie
United_States
Rep

The Pirelli P Zero runflats are standard equipment on a 1/2 million dollar Bentley, so it must be shit

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #54
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
The Pirelli P Zero runflats are standard equipment on a 1/2 million dollar Bentley, so it must be shit

Yeah, because sponsorships and manufacturer incentives don't mean shit.

I love how people assume expensive luxury brands don't cheapen out here and there if it will increase profits. As if they aren't for-profit businesses. There are plenty of examples of this, e.g., the 914's notoriously cheap fuel lines for one, BMW's plastic water pumps in the e90, Lamborghini countach's A/C components, etc.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 07:04 PM   #55
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:

Yeah, because sponsorships and manufacturer incentives don't mean shit.
Yes because when you're designing a vehicle for the ultra-wealthy, with an almost unlimited budget, saving a buck is the first thing they consider.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #56
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
But 4 rft weight a lot more in term of rotating masses and unsprung masses, which have effects on driving more than a spare tire in the trunk
Actually it's not that simple. The runflats themselves have much lower sidewall hysteresis and as such produce fairly low RR.

Lower tire mass ultimately is a big factor in RR though, but if you're comparing a RFT performance tire to a non RFT performance tire, typically the RFT will test better for RR.

Rotating mass matters heavily on increase of vehicle velocity(not constant speed).
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-07-2019, 12:59 AM   #57
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know on this forum some of you guys don't believe in actual proof but here goes nothing:

But that's a small tire, not a 19" 245/265

Last edited by VIERsr; 07-07-2019 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 01:39 AM   #58
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually it's not that simple. The runflats themselves have much lower sidewall hysteresis and as such produce fairly low RR.

Lower tire mass ultimately is a big factor in RR though, but if you're comparing a RFT performance tire to a non RFT performance tire, typically the RFT will test better for RR.

Rotating mass matters heavily on increase of vehicle velocity(not constant speed).
RR is not the only factor to consider, in terms of handling (turn, brake) an heavier wheel has a lot of disadvantages.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #59
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

But that's a small tire, not a 19" 245/265
Really, I didn't know that..

Pound for pound, I was contrasting one comparable tire to the other.

Meaning a 245/265 non-RF vs 245/265 RF would extrapolate that they're less than one pound of each other, regardless of the size.

I personally weighed two 19" inch tires (245/30/19), the copy and paste post was a separate B&W reference.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #60
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
RR is not the only factor to consider, in terms of handling (turn, brake) an heavier wheel has a lot of disadvantages.
I'm well aware haha. I'm talking about RR because overall weight and RR are huge factors in choosing a RFT tire for a vehicle manufacturer.

Your guys' head would explode how crazy some of the targets set by OEs for RR on high performance cars. You as an end consumer only look at the MPG numbers, but they need to bump the avg across their whole production line and every bit matters.
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2621.50
      07-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #61
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

In case anyone is curious but the construction on a RFT involves a beefier Apex and a second Apex up the sidewall. The shoulder itself is usually of a harder(less hysteretic) compound. The sidewall ply cords are also higher strand/density.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #62
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
https://www.vox.com/2019/4/6/18295544/epa-california-fuel-economy-mpg
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #63
MyBimmer328
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

This is all I see when I look at the grill...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #64
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Deleted a couple of 'deer fight' posts in this thread. Discussions may be tight, but try to avoid getting personal.

07-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #65
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Deleted a couple of 'deer fight' posts in this thread. Discussions may be tight, but try to avoid getting personal.
Sorry but some keyboard warriors here hold internet grudges and animosity for no good reason. It stifles the original subject and causes unnecessary bickering.

Some folks here need to take some advice from Frozen and just "let it go."

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #66
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

The A45 AMGS It's definitely a competitor.

It's drift mode will definitely make it fun. The interior is superb. Hand built engine.

The only deficiency it has is sound. Looks are of course subjective.

The Audi 5 cylinder is still the benchmark in this segment in terms of sound and tuneability. Stage 1 map and e85 and it's 500 hp straight off. The A45 is probably at its limits and you'll really have to spank the crap out of it to extract its power. The flip side is it feels angry and fast.

The M2 competition is a great car - but this is definitely a worthy competitor.
Appreciate 1
M2Cnme33.00