BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > MY2020 A45 AMG - true BMW M2C Rival?

07-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #23
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Can't tell if you are trolling....

This is probably, and I am pretty sure I say this with a 100% confidence, the most factually false thing I have read on the entire internet. Ever.
I said "pretty sure". Lol your bar for the internet is high AF
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #24
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i agree this isn't a m2 competitor which is a rwd with a 6spd manual...maybe only in price.

This A45 with the fwd-awd is more of a audi rs3, audi ttrs, golf r , civic type R competitor.
From what I've heard the new A45s is actually RWD bias.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #25
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

If it's in the same price range and it's a performance oriented car of similar dimensions I feel it's always something that's going to get cross shopped to an extent. I cross shopped the M2 with the RS-3 and AMG CLA-45. If in the market again I would consider this car when looking at an M2C. While it won't handle as well it's going to be as fast or faster in a straight line and the interior is stunning at this price point. It's regrettable that MB is having similar issues to BMW in thinking everyone loves these large in your face grilles.
Appreciate 4
EthanEJC199.50
BlkSVT388.50
qnet681.50
      07-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #26
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vale007 View Post
carwow mat watson thinks it may is an A45AMG-S rival.....
A lot of car pages think the A45s is a M2 Competition rival..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #27
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanEJC View Post
unless they changed the way they mount the engine...it'll be transversely mounted same as the last gen...so it'll be fwd first and have a transfer case that moves power to the rear. (golf r, audi rs3). This is one of the reasons the audi rs3 has a reverse stagger.

longtudial mounted engines are the opposite..their rwd first and have a transfer case that moves power to the front. (gtr, audi rs5, m5)

I heard it'll have a drift mode similar to the focus rs but that'll be a occasion thing, i doubt you can lock it in that mode unless their willing to spend the extra money on beefing up the rear diff and transaxel.
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
VIERsr2621.50
      07-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #28
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
in terms of price yes...same with people that say the mustang gt350r, camaro zl1 are competitors to the m2.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #29
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Not properly, it's a on demand awd with a "drift" mode, very very similar to the Focus RS. But it's still a front wheel drive based awd.
Quote:
unless they changed the way they mount the engine...it'll be transversely mounted same as the last gen...so it'll be fwd first and have a transfer case that moves power to the rear. (golf r, audi rs3). This is one of the reasons the audi rs3 has a reverse stagger.

longtudial mounted engines are the opposite..their rwd first and have a transfer case that moves power to the front. (gtr, audi rs5, m5)

I heard it'll have a drift mode similar to the focus rs but that'll be a occasion thing, i doubt you can lock it in that mode unless their willing to spend the extra money on beefing up the rear diff and transaxel.
This
Appreciate 2
TemjinX2520.50
EthanEJC199.50
      07-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #30
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
in terms of price yes...same with people that say the mustang gt350r, camaro zl1 are competitors to the m2.
Not just price

There also comparable by power and use ability as well.

But obviously see driving dynamics are will be different.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #31
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Quote:
Not properly, it's a on demand awd with a "drift" mode, very very similar to the Focus RS. But it's still a front wheel drive based awd.
Quote:

This
So in normal driving is awd with a front wheel drive biased? And when it's in drift mode it's rear wheel drive bias?? Which is similar to the RS and not the E63s?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #32
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Mercedes isn't usually what I'd look for, I've always enjoyed BMW's more. However, I have to commend them for some of their engineering choices: 8 speed dual clutch, 6 piston brakes etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #33
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
4 banger is boosted too much for my liking. While a hatch back would be nice, we won't see on stateside. I'd tsk a proper RWD platform car over th FWD based A class even though th AMG ones are AWD. straight 6's are the only way to go for small cars. V8's in the big guys
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #34
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
So in normal driving is awd with a front wheel drive biased? And when it's in drift mode it's rear wheel drive bias?? Which is similar to the RS and not the E63s?
Exactly, the front axle can never be disconnected, unlike the E63S/M5 which are real RWD in drift/2WD mode with no power on the front axle.
You can clearly see the smoke from the front wheels.

Nice toy anyway
Appreciate 2
TemjinX2520.50
EthanEJC199.50
      07-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #35
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Not for me.
Still seems to have the farty upshifts, like Grandpa after a Vindaloo when he can’t control what comes out of his hoop.
Bloody awful.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9104.50
      07-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #36
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

To me it's always a good thing when the competition releases something interesting. Reminds BMW not to take things for granted.

And regardless of the car's capabilities, the competition shows that a dark silver/grey body color still rocks.
BlkSVT388.50
      07-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #37
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

its one of the reasons i got the m2 in 6spd. i have a feeling BMW is going to make the next gen M2 based on the new fwd 135i platform and make it fwd-awd drive to be a true rs3 / a45 competitor and save money. Maybe not offer a manual to save costs. From a business stand point i can see that happening..since most people who buy these cars new dont care if its fwd or rwd bias awd.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #38
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
4 banger is boosted too much for my liking. While a hatch back would be nice, we won't see on stateside. I'd tsk a proper RWD platform car over th FWD based A class even though th AMG ones are AWD. straight 6's are the only way to go for small cars. V8's in the big guys

X2..... MB is using a mouse motor again and their direction isnt focused. Their performance stats lately haven't been good unlike BMW that underrates their performance specs. In this category you go Cayman GT4 for a two seater, RS3 for a sedan and the M2C for the best of both worlds. You cant beat the rwd and chassis setup of the M2C. IMO these magazine comparisons are crap and to justify their jobs. If you dont understand what the M2C is and how pure its focus is above all the others then I would rather you not buy one as you will never get what its about. Go buy a friggen Hellcat for the same money.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-05-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
BlkSVT388.50
      07-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #39
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:

X2..... MB is using a mouse motor again and their direction isnt focused. Their performance stats lately haven't been good unlike BMW that underrates their performance specs. In this category you go Cayman GT4 for a two seater, RS3 for a sedan and the M2C for the best of both worlds. You cant beat the rwd and chassis setup of the M2C. IMO these magazine comparisons are crap and to justify their jobs. If you dont understand what the M2C is and how pure its focus is above all the others then I would rather you not buy one as you will never get what its about. Go buy a friggen Hellcat for the same money.
That's very on point. I'd like to pick one up but I'm not entirely sure if I'll be moving this year or not yet, so for now I'm holding off. The 5cyl from Audi is another really good engine ruined by their FWD/AWD platform. I know RWD platforms like the CLAR are less common these days but if we don't support them we risk losing out to the cheaper FWD garbage for performance vehicles. I have a feeling the M2C will be a classic in due time especially if the next gen doesn't stick to it's roots.
Appreciate 2
MystroX56289.50
TemjinX2520.50
      07-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #40
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's very on point. I'd like to pick one up but I'm not entirely sure if I'll be moving this year or not yet, so for now I'm holding off. The 5cyl from Audi is another really good engine ruined by their FWD/AWD platform. I know RWD platforms like the CLAR are less common these days but if we don't support them we risk losing out to the cheaper FWD garbage for performance vehicles. I have a feeling the M2C will be a classic in due time especially if the next gen doesn't stick to it's roots.
Next Gen BMW 2 Series Coupe Will Retain RWD Says BMW Chief Engineer https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1630541
Appreciate 2
akkando5864.50
TemjinX2520.50
      07-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #41
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Next Gen BMW 2 Series Coupe Will Retain RWD Says BMW Chief Engineer https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1630541
I know but it may get more techy with screens which is what I was referring to via idrive 7 no more analog dials sadly
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #42
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
No M2c comes with RFT.

No BMW M car comes with RFT at all. They only use the RFT on the non-M cars.
Thank God.

RFTS are the biggest chunk of heavy, solid, over stiff, bouncy junk I've ever had the misfortune of driving on.

Thankfully M saw the light and never used them
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2621.50
      07-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #43
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
No M2c comes with RFT.

No BMW M car comes with RFT at all. They only use the RFT on the non-M cars.
Thank God.

RFTS are the biggest chunk of heavy, solid, over stiff, bouncy junk I've ever had the misfortune of driving on.

Thankfully M saw the light and never used them
yep, even newer RFTs suck. no BMW should use them or luxury vehicle for that matter
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      07-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #44
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
yep, even newer RFTs suck. no BMW should use them or luxury vehicle for that matter
Agreed they’re not great but they’re not unbearable either. In my E90 I got rid of the RFT right away...in my G30 they’re decent enough to leave on till they wear out but they’re definitely negatively affecting the ride quality, handling, and noise levels.
Appreciate 0