BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anyone install the MPE recently?

11-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Anyone install the MPE recently?

Just curious if anyone had the MPE installed recently without the rattle/vibration noise that I keep reading about? I'm leaning toward Dinan exhaust if this is still an issue. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:42 AM   #2
Masterofgoingfaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecitizen View Post
Just curious if anyone had the MPE installed recently without the rattle/vibration noise that I keep reading about? I'm leaning toward Dinan exhaust if this is still an issue. Thanks.
I had the MPE installed at my dealership in august and after a few weeks the rattle started to get very noticeable at cold start. It goes away after 10 seconds, so it's not a major problem. Luckily the fix is easy, you can find a lot of info on how to fix it, on the forum.
I have not heard the sound of the Dinan exhaust, but let me tell you something!
The MPE is worth it, even with this minor annoyance! It's one of the best sounding line 6's with this exhaust, and after you hear it, you will never want to switch to a M2C!
I've heard of people, who switched from Akrapovic titanium exhaust to the MPE after hearing it in person!

Last edited by Masterofgoingfaster; 11-07-2018 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterofgoingfaster View Post
I had the MPE installed at my dealership in august and after a few weeks the rattle started to get very noticeable at cold start. It goes away after 10 seconds, so it's not a major problem. Luckily the fix is easy, you can find a lot of info on how to fix it, on the forum.
I have not heard the sound of the Dinan exhaust, but let me tell you something!
The MPE is worth it, even with this minor annoyance! It's one of the best sounding line 6's with this exhaust, and after you hear it, you will never want to switch to a M2C!
I've heard of people, who switched from Akrapovic titanium exhaust to the MPE after hearing it in person!
What is this easy fix you speak of? I’ve seen the thread but multiple methods were advocated
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

It rattles like crazy. If it's really cold, it'll rattle longer than 10 seconds. But, once it's over I could care less because it sounds so good with the valves open.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Been with MPE for 2 years.

Never understood the obsession over the startup rattle issue. It is not sensible at all to you when you're IN the car.

However, you will definitely want to worry about the drone at 3k rpm. How much it drones seems to vary a lot individual by individual. In my case it's not bad, for the record - I have a high acceptance criteria for "refinement", meaning low tolerance of drone. However, that level of drone (again in my case) only adds to the car's character and I would rather have it than not. I also don't understand how people drive staying around 3k rpm anywhere other than the highway highest gear cruise that just happens to be in that rpm range.

I hear many enough exhaust to be not biased talking about M2 exhaust. MPE is one of the mods I'd do again over the other options. Check my review threads. Most if not all of them still are true.
      11-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I have 0 issues with my V1 MPE - no start up rattle, drone, or anything.

6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:53 AM   #7
greb
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp

I also don’t get the issues with the MPE. First of all it looks great with the big M performance logo on the muffler. And with the controller you can always open and close it. The rattle is only with cold start... After moving on it’s gone. For sure it will be one of the next first mods on a new car
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
Honda_bar
Private
Rep
Drives: Hrv accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
It rattles like crazy. If it's really cold, it'll rattle longer than 10 seconds. But, once it's over I could care less because it sounds so good with the valves open.
+1 that sound is very intoxicating, I didn't want an MPE, I needed one! After hearing it for the first time, it gave me chills....SO GOOD!
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Been with MPE for 2 years.

Never understood the obsession over the startup rattle issue. It is not sensible at all to you when you're IN the car.

However, you will definitely want to worry about the drone at 3k rpm. How much it drones seems to vary a lot individual by individual. In my case it's not bad, for the record - I have a high acceptance criteria for "refinement", meaning low tolerance of drone. However, that level of drone (again in my case) only adds to the car's character and I would rather have it than not. I also don't understand how people drive staying around 3k rpm anywhere other than the highway highest gear cruise that just happens to be in that rpm range.

I hear many enough exhaust to be not biased talking about M2 exhaust. MPE is one of the mods I'd do again over the other options. Check my review threads. Most if not all of them still are true.
In the US, 3k RPM 6th gear is a very common cruising speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #10
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
I found a permanent solution for the rattle and posted it here:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=59

I don’t know about you, but I found it quite embarrassing to start my $60k car in a public setting and have the exhaust rattling like mad (if even only for a few seconds).
      11-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I had my MPE port installed. I have zero rattle or drone. Picked my M2 up in January.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm going to order one from getbmwparts but how do I know if it's V2 or not? Is there a different part number?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #13
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I've had the MPE for 9 months now.. about 3 months in there was huge rattle upon startup and sometimes when idling.

I took it back to dealer and they fixed it up no charge to me.. since they fixed it up I get zero rattle, which has been for six months now. Also FYI I have tracked the car hard 4 times since, still no issues.
Appreciate 1
ferdee918.00
      11-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to order one from getbmwparts but how do I know if it's V2 or not? Is there a different part number?
Anyone know the best way to tell if the MPE is the latest version--V2 I guess?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #15
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone know the best way to tell if the MPE is the latest version--V2 I guess?
Believe the v2 has a drainage hole just beneath the m performance logo
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #16
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

No matter how we try to justify it the exhaust on a brand new $50k+ car should not rattle. I'm on my second and it still rattles. It's unacceptable. I would suggest not having the system port installed or installed at the dealer as the factory recommended method to fit it past the small lower cross brace is to smash in the pipe on one side. Seriously. Someone on here sells a modified brace that allows the pipe to pass over it at full diameter. That and a proper v-band clamp are helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #17
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
No matter how we try to justify it the exhaust on a brand new $50k+ car should not rattle. I'm on my second and it still rattles. It's unacceptable. I would suggest not having the system port installed or installed at the dealer as the factory recommended method to fit it past the small lower cross brace is to smash in the pipe on one side. Seriously. Someone on here sells a modified brace that allows the pipe to pass over it at full diameter. That and a proper v-band clamp are helpful.
I installed my own but followed the recommended instructions and had no clearance issues on the underbody crossbrace and zero vibrations. You really have to ram the MPE onto the stock exhaust deep though which took some creativity. In retrospect, I would probably cut in front of the dimple instead of right on it to give a tad more clearance. It's pretty tight on the rear diffuser as well and some members have melted them because of this. Another inch would have been perfect.

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #18
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

You could care less? Go on then...

Never got this Americanism
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #19
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Just a note about the Dinan: I ordered mine on July 31, 2020 and I still don't have it delivered. They apparently had COVID related supply chain issues and then changed manufacturing process which meant they needed to build new sub assemblies and get a new machine installed, and I should theoretically be getting mine soon and they should be processing the backlog. But just be aware that you could be looking at maybe 6 weeks from order.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #20
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
I installed my own but followed the recommended instructions and had no clearance issues on the underbody crossbrace and zero vibrations. You really have to ram the MPE onto the stock exhaust deep though which took some creativity. In retrospect, I would probably cut in front of the dimple instead of right on it to give a tad more clearance. It's pretty tight on the rear diffuser as well and some members have melted them because of this. Another inch would have been perfect.
Thanks a this is really helpful as I'm about to get an MPE installed next week with my workshop. Definitely do want them to ensure there's no rattle so hopefully they're somewhat across this with their experience of installing MPEs.

It sucks for those that were port installed that they weren't able to be part of the process to fine tune the installation.
Appreciate 0