BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Soon-to-be M2 Owner MPE Questions

03-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Soon-to-be M2 Owner MPE Questions

Just placed my order on a 2018 Long Beach Blue 6MT M2 last week and I still have the option to add the MPE before it hits the port in Baltimore (undecided, but very tempted). I have tried to find the answers to my questions on the tips for the MPE, but have not been successful, hence hoping that somebody on here knows.
a) Do I need exhaust tips on the MPE at all, or is it just improved optics?
b) Can I recycle the chrome tips from the stock exhaust, will they fit?
My sales guy at the dealership told me that he can add the MPE and it is not prompting him to add the Titanium or CF exhaust tips, hence he thinks they are not required, or they recycle the chrome stock tips. Does the VPC at the port recycle the chrome ones standard, or do they just leave the MPE without any tips? I have not found any thread, which would refer to not using tips at all, or re-using the chrome tips from the stock exhaust.
Another question I have is on the M Performance Sound Player App from BMW, which lets you listen to BMW Stock vs MPE soundtracks on different cars). Would anybody know in which Drive and Exhaust Modes those were recorded?
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Downunder99; 03-08-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder99 View Post
Just placed my order on a 2018 Laguna Blue M2 last week and I still have the option to add the MPE before it hits the port in Baltimore (undecided, but very tempted). I have tried to find the answers to my questions on the tips for the MPE, but have not been successful, hence hoping that somebody on here knows.
a) Do I need exhaust tips on the MPE at all, or is it just improved optics?
b) Can I recycle the chrome tips from the stock exhaust, will they fit?
My sales guy at the dealership told me that he can add the MPE and it is not prompting him to add the Titanium or CF exhaust tips, hence he thinks they are not required, or they recycle the chrome stock tips. Does the VPC at the port recycle the chrome ones standard, or do they just leave the MPE without any tips? I have not found any thread, which would refer to not using tips at all, or re-using the chrome tips from the stock exhaust.
Another question I have is on the M Performance Sound Player App from BMW, which lets you listen to BMW Stock vs MPE soundtracks on different cars). Would anybody know in which Drive and Exhaust Modes those were recorded?
Thanks for any help!
Congrats on the new car!

You will want tips. Will look bad without them. Pretty sure stock tips are smaller diameter
      03-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Long Beach Blue, not Laguna. Gotta know your shit when you get inundated with questions from strangers/admirers.

Tips aren't required for purchase but are needed to look decent. MPE is a very expensive exhaust. I won't troll on it but will advise you to research many other aftermarket options.
Appreciate 2
SM2731.50
      03-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Here are images of the MPE without tips. Took me a while to find them, so I hope they're helpful to you.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=221

The stock tips aren't clamped on, so maybe you can beat them off with a hammer but it doesn't look like there is enough of a lip on them to make it easy without damaging them. I'm also unsure if the diameter is the same as the MPE tips.

I never used that app. I would look on Youtube for exhaust sounds and try to get in touch with the uploaders if you have questions.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thanks everyone for your quick replies! Based on the pictures referenced above, no tips is not an option indeed! I do have a few weeks to think about it and your input will definetely help to make up my mind!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Long Beach Blue, not Laguna. Gotta know your shit when you get inundated with questions from strangers/admirers.

Tips aren't required for purchase but are needed to look decent. MPE is a very expensive exhaust. I won't troll on it but will advise you to research many other aftermarket options.
I sort of agree. As nice as MPE sounds, there are rattle issues that need fixed (can be DIY) plus Bluetooth issues with the valves just closing on their own. I have it and experience both problems. Bit disappointed TBH.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      03-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #7
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

I suggest you find a way to drive an M2 with MPE on

If you are DD it, the drone is really going to get on your nerves
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I was set on the MPE, but I'm back on the fence. I think I may just go with Dinan and resonator delete. I did buy the CF diffuser. I will drive with the stock exhaust for now.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2018, 05:15 AM   #9
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Buy the MPE, after you take delivery... save your stock exhaust, then sell your MPE when moving on to another car. You'll easily get 50% of your money back.

If you have it port installed, you'll no longer have that option.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #10
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopm2 View Post
I suggest you find a way to drive an M2 with MPE on

If you are DD it, the drone is really going to get on your nerves
I wish I could! Unfortunately none of the two dealers close to me have one with the MPE in stock. Listening to it live would for sure be the best input for a decision in regards to the sound. I think that as much as pictures of the M2 don't show how good the car actually looks, any Youtube videos so far have not really shown me the actual difference between stock and MPE. For sure you can hear they sound different, but nothing replaces listening to it live. I may well extend my search circle and see whether I can find a dealer with an MPE equipped M2 on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Buy the MPE, after you take delivery... save your stock exhaust, then sell your MPE when moving on to another car. You'll easily get 50% of your money back.

Good point, haven't even thought about it! I do trust my dealership's mechanics to do a job as good as the VPC guys, so that is indeed an option!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #12
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good point, haven't even thought about it! I do trust my dealership's mechanics to do a job as good as the VPC guys, so that is indeed an option!
Hanging the exhaust is a joke.

No more then 1 hour. Do it yourself. Save the loot.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Then just hang stock exhaust on the wall, for safe keeping. (Zoom in, back left corner)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #14
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I was set on the MPE, but I'm back on the fence. I think I may just go with Dinan and resonator delete. I did buy the CF diffuser. I will drive with the stock exhaust for now.
Get the MPE I wait for my 9 moths
Yes cost $$$ but is the best for the money
I got my setup by the dealer last week
No rattle isssues like people said maybe the first models of this system, the only true is the drone at 3k rpm but not like the people said here!!
And if you get a DP is the best sound and power
Here is my
Ask for you stock resonator, and if you keep the valves closed with the sport + No DRONE + sound beautifully
to get the MAX sound and power you need a DPipe......

Fabspeed DP & M Exhaust flaps Open
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
qnet681.50
dmboone254972.00
      03-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #15
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Couldn't sleep after my embarrasing color mishap! Just checked out the Dinan with resonator delete on their webpage and that actually sounds to me like a serious alternative to the MPE, especially knowing now, that the MPE without tips is optically a total no-go!
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      03-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #16
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Correct but install labor is free at the port....something to weigh your options upon
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #17
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Correct but install labor is free at the port....something to weigh your options upon
Is the free install saving you ~$1,500?

Nope. That's what you'll easily get selling a complete M2 MPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #18
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I agree about hanging your own exhaust. That was something I was going to do anyway, and never have it port installed. I'm a Aircraft mechanic, and know cars as well; so it's not a big deal for me. I like doing it also.

My main reason for holding off on the MPE is the price. Even at a discount from other sources I've looked at, it's still expensive. I can buy it, I just want to spend my money on other things right now. I also like the look of the stock exhaust with the chrome tips, I just wish BMW made them bigger.

AGM2, thanks for your input but I don't want to put a DP on my car. Maybe after I've had it awhile and the warranty is up.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #19
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I agree about hanging your own exhaust. That was something I was going to do anyway, and never have it port installed. I'm a Aircraft mechanic, and know cars as well; so it's not a big deal for me. I like doing it also.

My main reason for holding off on the MPE is the price. Even at a discount from other sources I've looked at, it's still expensive. I can buy it, I just want to spend my money on other things right now. I also like the look of the stock exhaust with the chrome tips, I just wish BMW made them bigger.

AGM2, thanks for your input but I don't want to put a DP on my car. Maybe after I've had it awhile and the warranty is up.
No problem I got my DP installed with 9 miles
Always I take the car to my local BMW cero problems with them I only get complements about the sound
They know is not the OEM DPipe
And the love it more went the setup the M Exhauston!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
I wish I could! Unfortunately none of the two dealers close to me have one with the MPE in stock. Listening to it live would for sure be the best input for a decision in regards to the sound. I think that as much as pictures of the M2 don't show how good the car actually looks, any Youtube videos so far have not really shown me the actual difference between stock and MPE. For sure you can hear they sound different, but nothing replaces listening to it live. I may well extend my search circle and see whether I can find a dealer with an MPE equipped M2 on the lot.
I really don't want to be that guy but you won't hear much of the MPE in the cabin unless with windows down or moonroof open

Optionally, you could bypass the ASD but then the car becomes really quiet and while you hear the exhaust more the drone would also be much more prominent

As I said previously, it really depends on your use. Weekend car it won't get to you and it's actually quiet enjoyable. DD it will drive you nuts, especially on highways.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #21
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Love mine, even more so with Fabspeed cat!
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      03-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #22
No Boost
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Love mine, even more so with Fabspeed cat!
This DP enhances any exhaust's performance.
Appreciate 0