Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
More than a quarter of all M2 CS worldwide: that's more than what was initially scheduled for the US.

That begs the question: dividing the 2200 M2 CS cake differently (more allocations for the US) or making the 2200 M2 CS cake bigger ?

If it's re-allocation of the 2200 M2 CS cars, then that could be an indication that:
  • either demand in Europe did not meet initial projections (+ likely also part of the equation: the weeks-on-end production stop because of the COVID-19 lockdown, impacting the March to September 2020 time window scheduled for production of EURO-spec M2 CS cars);
  • or demand in the US is that strong that the worldwide M2 CS allocations schedule was revised, favoring the US (where car taxes are lower and a "limited edition" ploy is usually more esteemed than in Europe).
Anyways, this thread (and this thread) shows that quite a number of US-spec M2 CS cars have not been spoken for and that some dealers want markups.
Yes, it will be interesting to see. It's too early to tell what the US market thinks of the car and it's price. While relatively cheaper here in the US versus Europe it remains to be seen if it's also perceived as too expensive? The only gauge at this point is the number of cars in the customer sold status which is 381 out of 547 (remember some are sold and no longer in the 564 list). Yet it is also important to point out that every car that has been produced so far is P1 customer sold status which can't be accurate as we know. I would suspect that all dealers, since only getting a couple allocations, were putting them all in P1 to avoid dealer trade calls.

P1 customer sold: 381
P2 center own use: 36
P3 priority stock: 120
P4 stock: 10
P5 non priority stock: 0
      11-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #420
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Quote:
More than a quarter of all M2 CS worldwide: that's more than what was initially scheduled for the US.

That begs the question: dividing the 2200 M2 CS cake differently (more allocations for the US) or making the 2200 M2 CS cake bigger ?

If it's re-allocation of the 2200 M2 CS cars, then that could be an indication that:
  • either demand in Europe did not meet initial projections (+ likely also part of the equation: the weeks-on-end production stop because of the COVID-19 lockdown, impacting the March to September 2020 time window scheduled for production of EURO-spec M2 CS cars);
  • or demand in the US is that strong that the worldwide M2 CS allocations schedule was revised, favoring the US (where car taxes are lower and a "limited edition" ploy is usually more esteemed than in Europe).
Anyways, this thread (and this thread) shows that quite a number of US-spec M2 CS cars have not been spoken for and that some dealers want markups.
Yes, it will be interesting to see. It's too early to tell what the US market thinks of the car and it's price. While relatively cheaper here in the US versus Europe it remains to be seen if it's also perceived as too expensive? The only gauge at this point is the number of cars in the customer sold status which is 381 out of 547 (remember some are sold and no longer in the 564 list). Yet it is also important to point out that every car that has been produced so far is P1 customer sold status which can't be accurate as we know. I would suspect that all dealers, since only getting a couple allocations, were putting them all in P1 to avoid dealer trade calls.

I didn't even know p4 and p5 existed.

But that p3 number makes me think discounts will be available soon.

The catch is finding your build
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #421
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post

I'm doubtful discounts will exceed 5%, so about 4-5k. Nothing to sneeze at, but also nothing to keep an MSRP buyer up at night. At the same time, as soon as these cars hit magazines and the attention of the general public I'd wager they do just fine. Those of us in this little enthusiast bubble are still the only ones really aware of their existence in the US.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #422
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Quote:

For me local tax comes out to roughly 9.5 percent . So let's say roughly 8k in taxes on base sticker price with destination if this was a straight sale.

My trade in credit in Illinois is also capped at 10k.

So even if I trade in 100k car and buy at 83k sticker , I still have to pay taxes on 73k.

So if I could save the 5k off msrp ... I would take it

... I also drive like 20 miles a month now due to remote work / COVID. So it is really hard to tell myself that I should buy the car.

But if the Numbers make sense one day.... Ill be grinning all the way home
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #423
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:

Maybe, maybe not?

Comparing the M2CS number against, say, the X3 xDr30i:

X3:
P1: 1693 19%
P2: 882 10%
P3: 5814 67%
P4: 346 4%
P5: 1 0%

M2CS:
P1: 381 70%
P2: 36 7%
P3: 120 22%
P4: 10 2%
P5: 0 0%

Yes, finding your build is the risky part. Draw your own conclusions, but if I were on the fence and wanted a configurable allocation I'd look at those 10 cars that are in P4. 8 of them are still modifiable.
      11-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #424
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
I agree with you both. I insist to spec and order my own cars, so when my local dealership came off of their ADM for me, I was pleased. It wasn't worth it to me to wait for a discount, only to end up with a dealer-specced car that was not my preferred build and then pay for enclosed transport to boot.
I agree too but let’s be realistic. There were only a handful of colors and less than a few options. They can’t screw it up that bad! I think the wheel to body color will be the hardest mismatch. Most of us can go for manual but settle on dct if need be.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #425
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
I agree too but let’s be realistic. There were only a handful of colors and less than a few options. They can’t screw it up that bad! I think the wheel to body color will be the hardest mismatch. Most of us can go for manual but settle on dct if need be.
I understand but I'm not speaking for others, just for me. If it wasn't my spec/order, I would have passed. It's too much money and too important to me to settle. I've done that on other cars in the past and regretted it. Of all things, DCT would have been the easiest deal-breaker. This isn't a knock on DCT, which is very capable; I'm just a diehard manual guy.
Appreciate 2
2taCoS279.00
      11-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #426
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

porsches are so much worse. every car has some customized seatbelt or stitching or panel. ugh and most can't even pair the interior color with the exterior. it's what happens when you have too many options
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #427
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
porsches are so much worse. every car has some customized seatbelt or stitching or panel. ugh and most can't even pair the interior color with the exterior. it's what happens when you have too many options
I agree wholeheartedly. This is my first order of a new ///M. It's a night and day difference from ordering a new 911. I could have used a few more options from which to choose on this CS, which is something I've thought before when speccing out F80 M3 and OG M2 builds. In contrast, with a 911 it's almost a case of "paradox of choice", as there are so many options for every little thing that it can become a challenging and even nerve-wracking process. Somewhere in the middle is surely best.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #428
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
... I also drive like 20 miles a month now due to remote work / COVID. So it is really hard to tell myself that I should buy the car.
Both the wife and I work from home. She has 1,500 miles on her new $117k X7 after just 3 months. I don't drive ever. TBH, I don't "need" a car at all, but I really "want" this one... It's special... G80/G82 are great but they're not "special"... this is the one I won't mind paying for sitting in the garage looking pretty

Quote:
Most of us can go for manual but settle on dct if need be.
No way, total deal breaker for me! Manual or bust! Save the manuals! Glad to see the high take-rate on 6MT!
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #429
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Quote:
Both the wife and I work from home. She has 1,500 miles on her new $117k X7 after just 3 months. I don't drive ever. TBH, I don't "need" a car at all, but I really "want" this one... It's special... G80/G82 are great but they're not "special"... this is the one I won't mind paying for sitting in the garage looking pretty

Quote:
No way, total deal breaker for me! Manual or bust! Save the manuals! Glad to see the high take-rate on 6MT!
I agree with you. I told myself screw the m2 cs since they announced the price last year and I keep circling back. It's a sign.
Appreciate 3
MomoM3984.00
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #430
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I agree with you. I told myself screw the m2 cs since they announces the price last year and I keep circling back. It's a sign.
I lost out on my dealers' 1st M2 CS allocation despite being 1st on their list bc I had cold feet. When their 2nd allocation came in I took it as a sign to jump on it.

The M4 base 6MT I spec'ed came to $95,345... ugh.... no way. Not for a car I like and not love.
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #431
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
I understand but I'm not speaking for others, just for me. If it wasn't my spec/order, I would have passed. It's too much money and too important to me to settle. I've done that on other cars in the past and regretted it.
True that having piece of mind that you're in full control of the order, limiting the chance of future "what if ?" thoughts, has its value too. It's a special car, so better get your spec.
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #432
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I'm doubtful discounts will exceed 5%, so about 4-5k. Nothing to sneeze at, but also nothing to keep an MSRP buyer up at night. At the same time, as soon as these cars hit magazines and the attention of the general public I'd wager they do just fine. Those of us in this little enthusiast bubble are still the only ones really aware of their existence in the US.
$4-5k off MSRP as an MSRP buyer would totally keep me up at night! That's not an insignificant amount of money! Totally at least a mini vacation with the wife as a thank you for letting me spend frivolously (it does work that way).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #433
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
$4-5k off MSRP as an MSRP buyer would totally keep me up at night! That's not an insignificant amount of money! Totally at least a mini vacation with the wife as a thank you for letting me spend frivolously (it does work that way).
Me too. I'd be thinking damn, that's my ppf and ceramic bundled into the msrp price. $5k is about where I'd consider shopping outside my local area. By the time I subtract out shipping fees it still leaves some reasonable money in the pocket.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3984.00
      11-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #434
il Nemico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Me too. I'd be thinking damn, that's my ppf and ceramic bundled into the msrp price. $5k is about where I'd consider shopping outside my local area. By the time I subtract out shipping fees it still leaves some reasonable money in the pocket.
Agree with those sentiments, but after experiencing the runaround at September allocation release, getting a 3k or so discount on a 93k car wasn't a gamble I was willing to take.
To end up on the sideline hoping for my spec and likely playing tug of war / waiting game with dealers to see who taps first, doesn't put the nerves at ease.

At MSRP, my CS in my spec takes the stress and unnecessary risk out of the process...
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #435
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

That's assuming a 5% discount even materializes. I was just pulling a number from thin air too.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      11-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #436
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
I agree that's it's not insignificant. It'd cover a full set of wheels and tires for tracking, or PPF/ceramic, or a vacation, etc. And I'm totally in the same boat as you with the wife. So I get it. My view is in the grand scheme of cost of ownership, lack of surety that discounts that large will be available (widely if at all), cost of shipping from a dealer from outside of the area, hours/time/stress of tracking down a spec and dealer, wire transfer fraud risks, and everything in between. 4K isn't worth the stress to my viewpoint. Others will weight it differently, and there is plenty of weight in 4K to flip the tables, and I get that!!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #437
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I agree that 5k isn't worth the stress of waiting if it's the car you really want. The military folks paid the right price for this car. I recall it being $77k US
Appreciate 1
arciga181728.50
      11-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #438
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I agree that 5k isn't worth the stress of waiting if it's the car you really want. The military folks paid the right price for this car. I recall it being $77k US
Solid price right there for sure .
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #439
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Well there are still cars out there!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #440
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

I responded to that BMW of Alexandria Black Friday sale ad, and was contacted back today by a CA. After two back-and-forths he confirmed there is no Black Friday special, that they do not sell below the MSRP sale price listed in the ad (didn't say whether they're honoring MSRP or whether there's an ADM). He said they have "several" in their possession ATM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0