BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Paint protection film is it worth it?

11-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #23
HMDriven.F87
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

What I have never understood is how someone can purchase a 60-70k car and complain about spending a little extra to protect it from looking like trash due to environmental damage. I think it absolutely is worth it even though there is some things that do irk my OCD with edges that get dirtier than usual
2021 M2 Competition (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #24
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMDriven.F87 View Post
What I have never understood is how someone can purchase a 60-70k car and complain about spending a little extra to protect it from looking like trash due to environmental damage. I think it absolutely is worth it even though there is some things that do irk my OCD with edges that get dirtier than usual
I'm generally a thrifty individual. I look at it based upon % of vehicle value. I don't really have a threshold. As an example I didn't think the ccb was worth 10% of the vehicle value. There were some other factors, but that was one. Back to ppf.... I also value my time, and don't like spending it detailing my card. I also don't trust others to do it because they tend to be overly rough on the paint. I'm not overly concerned about stone chips, but the front end of the M2 looks like a hot mess for collecting debris of all types. I can periodically have the chips touched up professionally, but there is still hassle and cost associated with it. I do like to keep my cars looking nice.

I thought I would give ppf a try in effort to reduce my labor for cleaning. Hopefully not get paint chips that I must look at between touchups.

Paint correction is already a must for me as it completely transforms the perceived appeal of any car. Ceramic coating increases the depth and ease of cleaning. Adding ppf costs me an additional $2k. Over the course of a few years I'd probably spend $1k on touchups. That leaves me eating another $1k over the same duration to hopefully not have to look at stone chips. If all goes as planned that seems like a reasonable expense.

I do struggle with the fact that a ceramic coat over the top of ppf would seem to negate the self healing properties as the coating will scratch and not heal? I can see an argument for just ppf, but the gloss and depth with the ceramic is incredible. My 2 cents

Edit:. I should add that I'm getting full front ppf and ppf on rockers as well as full ceramic coating.

Last edited by medphysdave; 11-18-2020 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
LukasM2CS
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS, BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMDriven.F87 View Post
Exactly!!! From couple of years ago I just put it on every car and my life so easy :-) No scratch, stone damage paintwork and it is much easier for maintanance normaly and after track day even more!
Last thing after couple of years when selling car the car is looking just as new! So the money you spend when buying PPF you get after selling your car after years of owning it. Thats my experience. It will definitely pay off.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #26
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Nice examples of protection offered by ppf. It's being removed in this video. Also shows rear area with no ppf.

Appreciate 0