BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > kw ddc

11-23-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
asherul
Rep
Drives: 14' f30 328i m sport

kw ddc

Anyone with kw ddc and can comment about it?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherul View Post
Anyone with kw ddc and can comment about it?
Thanks.

I'm very happy with it, makes the car much easier to live with IMO.

In standard configuration, I'd say sport is equal to stock as far as ride stiffness and comfort. Sport+ is rock hard and Comfort is a little softer which is what I was looking for.

Roads in the south of Belgium are the worst in Europe so the hardness of the stock suspension was stopping me driving the car. With the KW DDC in comfort mode, the suspension is now soaking up a lot of more of the crazy mix of concrete, cobblestone, and asphalt potholed, cracked and torn up surfaces I have to drive on...plus the auxiliary "gas is below a 1/4 tank" warning system I often have installed in the passenger seat say she doesn't need to wear a sport bra anymore when we go on a road trips. I have the height set at KW's recemented setting and if anything, I need to make the front just a touch firmer as occasionally, I'll scrape the underside of the front bumper coming off a speed bump. There are a couple on my way to/from work and I just switch to Sport as I approach them to prevent it from happening.

I'm not a track junkie but I had planned on tracking the car a few times this past summer but COVID put a stop to that. Hopefully I'll get a couple in next spring/summer before my time in Europe comes to an end and I ship the car to the US. I push it pretty hard in all modes and the car sticks and goes where I point it (I recently retrofitted the CFSB and that makes a big difference as well).

My only bitch is the lack of information on the WLAN module where you can customize the settings. There is very little information that I can find on-line about how to make adjustments (I can plug numbers into the App on my phone but I want to understand what I'm doing to the car). I spoke to the KW Reps at the Essen Motor Show last year and they couldn't provide any information either which was pretty disappointing.
Attached Images

Last edited by dtmurf; 11-23-2020 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Added pointless photos!
Appreciate 3
Poochie9099.00
scoale682.00
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-24-2020, 01:57 AM   #3
asherul
Rep
Drives: 14' f30 328i m sport

dtmurf - thank you very much for the detailed reply.
This was exactly what I was looking for.
I'm really happy to hear that the "comfort" mode makes the ride more compliant for daily driving.
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00
      11-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
raywhey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
I'm very happy with it, makes the car much easier to live with IMO.

In standard configuration, I'd say sport is equal to stock as far as ride stiffness and comfort. Sport+ is rock hard and Comfort is a little softer which is what I was looking for.

Roads in the south of Belgium are the worst in Europe so the hardness of the stock suspension was stopping me driving the car. With the KW DDC in comfort mode, the suspension is now soaking up a lot of more of the crazy mix of concrete, cobblestone, and asphalt potholed, cracked and torn up surfaces I have to drive on...plus the auxiliary "gas is below a 1/4 tank" warning system I often have installed in the passenger seat say she doesn't need to wear a sport bra anymore when we go on a road trips. I have the height set at KW's recemented setting and if anything, I need to make the front just a touch firmer as occasionally, I'll scrape the underside of the front bumper coming off a speed bump. There are a couple on my way to/from work and I just switch to Sport as I approach them to prevent it from happening.

I'm not a track junkie but I had planned on tracking the car a few times this past summer but COVID put a stop to that. Hopefully I'll get a couple in next spring/summer before my time in Europe comes to an end and I ship the car to the US. I push it pretty hard in all modes and the car sticks and goes where I point it (I recently retrofitted the CFSB and that makes a big difference as well).

My only bitch is the lack of information on the WLAN module where you can customize the settings. There is very little information that I can find on-line about how to make adjustments (I can plug numbers into the App on my phone but I want to understand what I'm doing to the car). I spoke to the KW Reps at the Essen Motor Show last year and they couldn't provide any information either which was pretty disappointing.
Have you noticed a lot more scraping vs stock?
I’m interested in this as well. Driving the car in the NYC area with bad roads and potholes hurts my back but haven’t lowered or installed a co in fear of scraping.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
kvndvs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 HS 6sp

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2019 BMW x3M40  [0.00]
What is CFSB?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywhey View Post
Have you noticed a lot more scraping vs stock?
I’m interested in this as well. Driving the car in the NYC area with bad roads and potholes hurts my back but haven’t lowered or installed a co in fear of scraping.
I don't take many pics of my car but I'd guess I'm about 25mm lower than stock so not slammed but the tire to fender arch gap is minimized. No scraping what-so-ever with the exception of a couple of speedbumps and then, only if I go over them too fast. It's just a matter of the car "dropping" off the speedbump; if I slow down (as I should) or put it in sport for a second, not scraping, no problem. Plus I can customize the rebound and compression if I want with the WLAN module (not sure if the WLAN module comes with the suspension as standard but I got it as a package, I can't remember if it was "extra").

This is what I have to deal with:
Attached Images

Last edited by dtmurf; 11-24-2020 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      11-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #7
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndvs View Post
What is CFSB?
Carbon Fiber Strut Brace from the M3/M4/M2C
Attached Images

12-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #8
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't take many pics of my car but I'd guess I'm about 25mm lower than stock so not slammed but the tire to fender arch gap is minimized. No scraping what-so-ever with the exception of a couple of speedbumps and then, only if I go over them too fast. It's just a matter of the car "dropping" off the speedbump; if I slow down (as I should) or put it in sport for a second, not scraping, no problem. Plus I can customize the rebound and compression if I want with the WLAN module (not sure if the WLAN module comes with the suspension as standard but I got it as a package, I can't remember if it was "extra").

This is what I have to deal with:
Road conditions like that are gonna send us all scrambling for SUVs
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 03:51 AM   #9
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
dtmurf Does it tie into the cars system when changing from comfort / sport / sport + or is it only controlled through wifi? I couldnt find a manual on KWs website

I love my ASTs but the uneven + pothole roads out here can get annoying.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
dtmurf Does it tie into the cars system when changing from comfort / sport / sport + or is it only controlled through wifi? I couldnt find a manual on KWs website

Neither. I'm thinking that maybe it could be made to work with the driving mode switch but it comes as standard with a button that has an LED ring that changes colors depending on the setting (blue, purple, and red). Personally, I would not want it tied to the mode switch.

If you add the WLAN module, can you change the setting with your phone and also store 5 custom settings.

Pic below (just noticed that my button is twisted off level...there goes my weekend lol).
Attached Images

06-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post

Neither. I'm thinking that maybe it could be made to work with the driving mode switch but it comes as standard with a button that has an LED ring that changes colors depending on the setting (blue, purple, and red). Personally, I would not want it tied to the mode switch.

If you add the WLAN module, can you change the setting with your phone and also store 5 custom settings.

Pic below (just noticed that my button is twisted off level...there goes my weekend lol).
Thats even better! Thanks for the detailed response
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 1
dtmurf477.00