BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Data logging, Bootmod3 question

09-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
DB88
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Data logging, Bootmod3 question

New to the Bootmod3 club. Any tips on Data logging. E.g. Boost level,Knocking, values to keep an eye on.Total newb when it comes to looking at data logs... Running stage 1 91octane with a sports cat. Intercooler and charge pipes install next week. I tried search and youtube with no luck. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB88 View Post
New to the Bootmod3 club. Any tips on Data logging. E.g. Boost level,Knocking, values to keep an eye on.Total newb when it comes to looking at data logs... Running stage 1 91octane with a sports cat. Intercooler and charge pipes install next week. I tried search and youtube with no luck. Thanks in advance.
I'm not expert by any means, just sharing what I do and look for.

- Make sure you're in DSC Off mode. Car might limit power and do some other foolery that will make the logs wonky in other modes
- Do a 4th gear pull on the highway from ~3000rpm to redline
- Check for misfires
- Check for knocks. 1-2 random knocks per pull is okay. Some more knocks may be okay too, if they were event based and not random. For example, sometimes lifting the throttle from 100% to 0% can cause a knock. I haven't seen anything like this in my car, but stuff like that can be normal. Like there could be something you're doing that is tripping the knock sensor.
- Make sure your HPFP is hitting target levels and not dropping off.
- Make sure timing is fairly consistent between all cylinders. Some deviation is okay.
- Look at other peoples logs and see how they compare to your own.

I've been learning a little about how to read boost, AFR, WGDC, MAF, and MAP, but don't understand enough to explain any of that yet.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      09-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
DB88
Rep

Anthony,

Thanks for all the info. Def a great place to start. My only question is. Do I need the BM3 wifi agent for this. For can I just hook up my laptop after my runs and check the logs. Cheers bud
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Anthony,

Thanks for all the info. Def a great place to start. My only question is. Do I need the BM3 wifi agent for this. For can I just hook up my laptop after my runs and check the logs. Cheers bud
No need for the wifi agent, your laptop will work fine with an e-net cable. Thing is though, you hook your laptop up in order to take the logs. They aren't stored in your car and you're pulling them off to read with your laptop.

This video is for the Supra, but it's the same exact thing for the M2. Should help you understand some things.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
DB88
Rep

that's exactly the info I needed. Thanks for taking the time to help me out ! Much appreciated Anthony
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
that's exactly the info I needed. Thanks for taking the time to help me out ! Much appreciated Anthony
No problem. If you wanna repay me, I can always use new rear tires
Appreciate 1
DB887.50
      09-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
DB88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
No problem. If you wanna repay me, I can always use new rear tires
haha done. After my day playing around with BM3. I think I will need new tires very soon..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
You might want to try the ACN tune if the gas quality sucks where you are.
Appreciate 0