BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exxon Synergy Supreme+ Fuel

07-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Exxon Synergy Supreme+ Fuel

Looking to harness the bimmerpost hivemind for this...

Yesterday I drove past one of the gas stations I use and saw they are advertising their new gasoline. Synergy Supreme+ is the name of it. What I'm trying to figure out is how it compares to ACN gas (which is regarded as bad) or Shell V Power (which I hear is good) or Chevron w/ Techron. I have absolutely zero research in fuels, because all the fuel near me has always been the same, for the most part. Ultimately trying to decide if I should/shouldn't use the Synergy Supreme+ fuel.

My M2 is BM3 Stg2 tuned, so performance-wise the answer is for me to take logs and see if I'm okay to run it. Longevity-wise I have no idea if it will help or harm my M2 and have no way to test that, so I'm looking for thoughts there.

Here is a link to the exxon website that talks about the fuel, but I'm not sure how much is marketing nonsense or what: https://www.exxon.com/en/unleaded-gasoline

They claim it keeps your engine 2x cleaner, improves gas mileage, lowers emissions, better performance, the whole 9 yards. I doubt better performance means more power, as it's still the same octane. I think they more-so mean the detergents they add will keep the engine cleaner which will make it perform as well over time as a newer engine and will clean an old engine.

I'm not gonna go into detail about everything they list on the site, but I'll just list them quickly.

Fuel detergents 1, 2, and 3 - For keeping the engine parts clean
Friction modifier - I guess a lubricate additive to help prevent wear
Anti-adhesion compound - Stops fuel from getting sticky in cold weather
Corrosion inhibitor - Prevents rust in fuel systems
Demulsifier - Something about stops water from getting in the gas tank
Solvent fluid - keeps the additives mixed instead of seperating
Marker molecules - helps determine the correct amount of additives were added
Active dry yeast - helps bread rise while baking
Sodium Nitrite - prevents bacteria growth while adding a salty flavor and reddish-pink color to meats

Sorry, the last two were a joke I had to make lol.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this gasoline?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

the general rule of thumb is to stay away from any gas that contains Ethanol

in Canada we have ESSO which is the same as EXXON and that gas station is the shitiest of the big name stations IMO i never fill up there

i know in Canada the Synergy gas from ESSO contains Ethanol...not sure about the US
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
the general rule of thumb is to stay away from any gas that contains Ethanol

in Canada we have ESSO which is the same as EXXON and that gas station is the shitiest of the big name stations IMO i never fill up there

i know in Canada the Synergy gas from ESSO contains Ethanol...not sure about the US
I believe it has the same ethanol content as other gas here... 10%. I can't imagine the difference is they added more ethanol. Especially since increased ethanol percentage wears engine seals quicker and decreases fuel economy. Any Exxon claims this Synergy Supreme+ is better for engine and increased MPG.

However, there is an argument that they did add ethanol. Being that ethanol attracts water which will cause rust in the fuel system. So maybe that's why they have "corrosion inhibitor" and "anti-adhesion compound" additives listed.

I can test the ethanol content of it easily though. Which I will do soon.

I feel like I should ask my dealership if I can use that gas, but the ppl at my dealership generally know jack shit. So a statement from BMW directly would be most helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I wouldn't put too much stock into this sub-branded fuel.

With fuel you need to see if your local "x brand" stations are even getting their fuel from "x brand" refineries. For example, in my area, there are no Exxon refineries nearby, so Exxon stations (whose fuel is still branded Synergy) doesn't even come from Exxon refineries. Instead the base fuel is bought from a local refiner, and their additive package is mixed in.

I've seen forum reports of other BMW diesel users using Exxon's "new" synergy branded diesel fuel and seeing mpg and miles between regen increases, however I didn't notice that at all when trying synergy brand fuel from my local Exxon stations (where the base fuel isn't refined by Exxon).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0