BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > used M2 - carfax -

07-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
pskdude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3m40i

Garage List
used M2 - carfax -

Hello all, after having repeated issues with my x3m40i, the dealer is working on buying my vehicle back. I found this OG m2 that i really like but look what the carfax shows. Is this a car i should consider ? would the replacement of clutch / flywheer etc. create any other longer term damage. I can get the car in the 46 range w low miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Ask the dealer for the actual service records that show what has been done to the car. I passed on an MG M2 in Atlanta that had a similar clutch replacement listed on the carfax. Turned out the service records told a story of other drive line items being replaced and a reoccurring vibration. The owner brought the car in several times and parts were replaced. Eventually he traded it in. I ran away from that deal!
      07-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I agree with the other guy to ask for the service records. Usually they include an owner comment about why they are bringing it in and what they are doing to diagnose/fix the issue. For example "customer noted noise in front suspension. Inspecting components and retorquing bolts" or something like that, which will help you understand better.

Other interesting things to me is the vehicle was registered in June, then again in August. Does that mean there were two owners previously?

Also interesting the brake fluid was changed at 1,580mi. I wonder why? I assume it was there for it's break-in service, but clutch and brake fluid replacement isn't part of that, as far as I recall.

For the "duplicate title issued" it makes me wonder if the car was repossessed.

Also front brakes and battery replaced at 3,562mi. That's not normal.

Maybe the owner purchased the car, lost his job, knew it was gonna get repossessed, then drove it hard cause he knew he wasn't gonna have it much longer. Maybe did something to kill the battery to make it harder on the tow truck drive from picking it up.

Well, know that I'm thinking more. If the car was repossessed, they wouldn't need to issue a duplicate title, because the bank would have the title not the owner. I was thinking the car was repossessed and the owner had the title in his house, so it was never recovered. Which doesn't make sense.

Did the previous owner/s purchase the car outright?

Just some thoughts/questions that I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

the owner probably raced it...clutch replacement and brake replacement under 5k miles. He probably tracked it on stock pads and wasnt too easy on the clutch while tracking. There's a enough og m2s to look for a better condition one...unless your getting a smoking deal.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
pskdude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3m40i

Garage List
Thanks for all the input guys, going to the dealer today to ask for the service records. Maybe that will give more insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
thekurt
thekurt
Rep
Drives: M2

If its CPO to 100k miles the dealer will just have to fix everything. I had to pay $5k on top of the $56k price tag to get the warranty out to 100k.
Appreciate 0