BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Blown Engine/Piston (M2 modded with catted DP & BM3 tune) - Suggestions ?

08-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #155
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I guess the part about your fuel being crap and never verified with logs didn't sink in. Keep blaming those sticky tires though. People are jerks when it's pretty clear not an ounce of due diligence was done. I genuinely felt sorry for the OP until he was blaming the car for not being stout enough. The whole timeline of events was just ridiculous to me. Spend a few hours reading, do your homework and bad stuff usually won't happen.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #156
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
I guess the part about your fuel being crap and never verified with logs didn't sink in. Keep blaming those sticky tires though. People are jerks when it's pretty clear not an ounce of due diligence was done. I genuinely felt sorry for the OP until he was blaming the car for not being stout enough. The whole timeline of events was just ridiculous to me. Spend a few hours reading, do your homework and bad stuff usually won't happen.
You mean using extra octane and running extra supporting mods on stage 1 OTS tune for barely 10% more power needs careful monitoring to ensure it doesn't explode? Idk, that kind of sounds like "delicate" to me.

I don't think there were any cases like this before to reference on. If there were, I am sure people would be more careful, including me, if there were any info on exploding n55s.

In hindsight, obviously many things could have been done to make the situation better. But the reality is that this combination of mods is common and people have been confident with it. So, why would anyone at the moment believe our "robust" engine would have issues. As well according to your bad gas comment then I guess all people from west coast will need some pretty robust prep work to track their M2s.

Even if that is the situation of bad gas, that is regular knocking.

In this case, it is assume that is was super knocking that cause this which runs similar principles of pre-ignition but the conditions for causing it are different. Haven't seen much articles saying how super knocking could be prevented altogether. Unless you have.

Super knocking is LSPI and oil related. that's all I am going to say, whether you can comprehend if that relates to super knocking is well...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:16 PM   #157
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

There hasn't been a lot of evidence these cars are susceptible to LSPI like the Ford and GM engines. I wouldn't floor these cars below 3k because the potential is there and I've seen mild knock on my logs, but most tuners say it isn't a problem. There's oil formulations for the Fords and GMs with lower calcium to help combat it.

Guys on the F30 forum have definitely had superknock from bad gas, a few have gone with custom tunes because they can't source any reliable fuel. There's also plenty of blown up N55s on the E boards. I agree the addition of the lucas booster should have helped, but I ran a few different brands and only a couple get reliable results.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #158
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I apologize for not reading every single post in this thread but from what I have gathered the OP is in western Canada and was using an OTS map? That's a recipe for cracked pistons and ringlands I am afraid. While I can't comment on Mexico, we have the worst gasoline in North America as our 91+ grades are equivalent to California 91 at best. I can attest from personal experience as I got my STI pro-tuned (I was getting too much knock even running Cobb ACN91 maps) for Husky 94 and a co-worker as well as another person I know ran Cobb OTS maps on their STI's. Only my STI stood the test of time as the OTS maps tuned for 91 available in most of the USA will simply not work well when you are fuelling your car with lesser fuel such as the swamp piss they sell us in western Canada.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #159
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I apologize for not reading every single post in this thread but from what I have gathered the OP is in western Canada and was using an OTS map? That's a recipe for cracked pistons and ringlands I am afraid. While I can't comment on Mexico, we have the worst gasoline in North America as our 91+ grades are equivalent to California 91 at best. I can attest from personal experience as I got my STI pro-tuned (I was getting too much knock even running Cobb ACN91 maps) for Husky 94 and a co-worker as well as another person I know ran Cobb OTS maps on their STI's. Only my STI stood the test of time as the OTS maps tuned for 91 available in most of the USA will simply not work well when you are fuelling your car with lesser fuel such as the swamp piss they sell us in western Canada.
Car was running on 91 WA state gas at a 76 station. Not Canadian fuel.

Car was running on dealership motor oil, so that is also something to think about in terms or possible relations to super knocking.

I have seen articles of older gen BMWs (even Mini's) getting a super knocking code but none showed it with hard driving.

Anyways, all I am saying is that this is a rare case of super knocking under hard driving conditions and ended up blowing a piston(with IMO, pretty common mods). We don't really know much about this phenomenon of super knocking, especially in this engine, so there could be other factors and that could range beyond just the gas and octane. Just saying.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      08-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #160
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl26 View Post
likely by association on previous posts and location or they pay to get access to personal information from the forum servers. I am assuming they would it would be more than just speculations from posts if they are willing to use it directly to deny claims.
Bingo! This is exactly what tends to happen with cars like this.... no one will admit it but open forums like this exist through advertising dollars and selling information.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #161
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Car was running on 91 WA state gas at a 76 station. Not Canadian fuel.

Car was running on dealership motor oil, so that is also something to think about in terms or possible relations to super knocking.

I have seen articles of older gen BMWs (even Mini's) getting a super knocking code but none showed it with hard driving.

Anyways, all I am saying is that this is a rare case of super knocking under hard driving conditions and ended up blowing a piston(with IMO, pretty common mods). We don't really know much about this phenomenon of super knocking, especially in this engine, so there could be other factors and that could range beyond just the gas and octane. Just saying.
How long was this super knocking going on for? Sometimes when a tuned engine goes it's as simple as a bad tank of gas.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #162
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

this is why I dont tune any of my cars, there is no way I am smarter than OEM engineers
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #163
switchman8
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Husky 94 is the worst gas ever made. I had a tune that adjusted with the octane level. Was running Shell V-power and it ran good, decided to try some Husky 94, thinking it was better, truck ran worse that it did stock.
      12-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #164
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Super knocking is LSPI and oil related. that's all I am going to say, whether you can comprehend if that relates to super knocking is well...
What? super knock code simply means that there is knock occurring that the DME cannot fix by pulling timing. There is logic in the DME to prevent knock and timing will actually trend downward over time to some degree if you get knock in a specific area of the rpm range consistently.

Blown piston and knock codes on a tuned car means the owner didn't know how to read a log and/or have the experience to hear/feel the glaringly obvious issue that must have been going on... Can't immediately blame octane (could be in part due to hardware), but, it's likely the car was tuned too aggressively for the octane available.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #165
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Read through all the pages of this post and many others like this over the years. I've noticed that any high-performance engines, even totally stock, can grenade themselves, even in pedestrian (non-track) applications and even for the manufacturers themselves!

I'm a bit disappointed that manufacturers don't offer 1 replacement engine for documented cases at 50% off or something of that nature, given this happens rarely and it would demonstrate serious goodwill to the enthusiast community. They know their drivetrains arent perfect and ALL have a small, calculated chance of breaking. Why not stand behind your products rather than leaving a fan of your product in a horribly expensive predicament?

And Im talking about for high performance special variants only (like M cars) and not their entire lineup as high performance cars are almost always operating at engineering extremes, driven harder, sold in far fewer numbers and far more likely owned by your biggest fans.

Anyhow, my undoubtedly controversial "2 cents".
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115175.50
      01-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #166
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Read through all the pages of this post and many others like this over the years. I've noticed that any high-performance engines, even totally stock, can grenade themselves, even in pedestrian (non-track) applications and even for the manufacturers themselves!

I'm a bit disappointed that manufacturers don't offer 1 replacement engine for documented cases at 50% off or something of that nature, given this happens rarely and it would demonstrate serious goodwill to the enthusiast community. They know their drivetrains arent perfect and ALL have a small, calculated chance of breaking. Why not stand behind your products rather than leaving a fan of your product in a horribly expensive predicament?

And Im talking about for high performance special variants only (like M cars) and not their entire lineup as high performance cars are almost always operating at engineering extremes, driven harder, sold in far fewer numbers and far more likely owned by your biggest fans.

Anyhow, my undoubtedly controversial "2 cents".
If the car hasn’t been tuned or modified, and maintained per OEM schedule, the OEM will replace it. It’s tuned, modifies cars running higher boost they won’t.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #167
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
Bingo! This is exactly what tends to happen with cars like this.... no one will admit it but open forums like this exist through advertising dollars and selling information.
To be fair, if you google "blown engine m2", this is the first post that comes up (for me, anyways). As to how they could tie it to him, they probably got the "hint" that there was a tune and then checked the computer and found out-of-normal events. I'm pretty sure they would have done that anyways, regardless of forum post...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #168
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjah View Post
To be fair, if you google "blown engine m2", this is the first post that comes up (for me, anyways). As to how they could tie it to him, they probably got the "hint" that there was a tune and then checked the computer and found out-of-normal events. I'm pretty sure they would have done that anyways, regardless of forum post...
Every time the ECU's original software is flashed outside of the factory, even by a franchise dealer, it leaves a permanent trace, a number increment to be exact, showing the how many times it was changed.

There is not way around that and is a telltale sign the software was altered.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #169
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Every time the ECU's original software is flashed outside of the factory, even by a franchise dealer, it leaves a permanent trace, a number increment to be exact, showing the how many times it was changed.

There is not way around that and is a telltale sign the software was altered.
BMW has even evolved beyond a simple tune counter and logs boost and TQ request numbers (modern engines are TQ demand based not load based as before).

If you are outside of these values (which every tune will do) then boom warranty is gone.
      08-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #170
NBE23M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2

So what else needed to be replaced besides the pistons? Did a machine shop have to go through the entire engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #171
KhaledAlnasser
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 2017

Quote:
Hi all,

Went on a track day car and went into limp mode twice with no engine light or warnings and at last session car suddenly starting blowing white smoke from exhaust.

Went back in to check and engine oil had splattered all over the engine bay.

Initially thought it was an issue with the turbo as it couldn't spook properly.

Painfully towed it back to my mechanic.

After checking on the car with my mechanic it seems one piston is broken (missing a chunk) and one is scratched. Boost leaked through and pushed oil through the valve cover likely destroying the PCV module along with it.

Engine mods:
VRSF catted DP and charge pipe
K&N filter
AA intercooler
BM3

Any suggests on next steps?

New engine? revert back to stock and try to fight for warranty?

Rebuild?
Reading this was freaky.
The exact thing happened to me 3 days ago. I went to the track and during the first session my car went into limp mode and white smoke was coming out of my exhaust. I took my car to mechanic and the oil was all over the engine bay and when he examined the pressure of the cylinders it showed that cylinder 1 had no pressure employing that there is a leakage.

I have similar mods as you
Intercooler & charge pipe
Oil cooler
Decattee dp
BMC air filter
BM3 stage 2 agg 91
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #172
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Ah - I was wondering if this meant that the OP had resurrected their engine, but is seems that instead the Second Coming has occurred.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #173
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

Does this mean people who track their cars should stay on a stock tune? This gets me really worried.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #174
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktom2 View Post
Does this mean people who track their cars should stay on a stock tune? This gets me really worried.
I wouldn't be comfortable running any tune on acn 91 gas but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:54 AM   #175
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktom2 View Post
Since this is octane related, you probably either need water/meth, E-mix or race gas. Not to mention a beefy intercooler to keep IATs down.

I am considering WMI since several people around here have successfully installed it, and it seems like the most fire and forget solution (just fill up the water/meth mixture, no need to measure ethanol %, etc.). Just not sure how big of a tank I would need for a 20 min session.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:52 AM   #176
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaledAlnasser View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Went on a track day car and went into limp mode twice with no engine light or warnings and at last session car suddenly starting blowing white smoke from exhaust.

Went back in to check and engine oil had splattered all over the engine bay.

Initially thought it was an issue with the turbo as it couldn't spook properly.

Painfully towed it back to my mechanic.

After checking on the car with my mechanic it seems one piston is broken (missing a chunk) and one is scratched. Boost leaked through and pushed oil through the valve cover likely destroying the PCV module along with it.

Engine mods:
VRSF catted DP and charge pipe
K&N filter
AA intercooler
BM3

Any suggests on next steps?

New engine? revert back to stock and try to fight for warranty?

Rebuild?
Reading this was freaky.
The exact thing happened to me 3 days ago. I went to the track and during the first session my car went into limp mode and white smoke was coming out of my exhaust. I took my car to mechanic and the oil was all over the engine bay and when he examined the pressure of the cylinders it showed that cylinder 1 had no pressure employing that there is a leakage.

I have similar mods as you
Intercooler & charge pipe
Oil cooler
Decattee dp
BMC air filter
BM3 stage 2 agg 91
What fuel were running when this happened?
Appreciate 0