BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > CEL on FS Downpipe!!

11-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #45
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Well, because Fabspeed guarantees it to be 100% perfect and no CEL, so most people choose them over the other options because of that guarantee. No one wants the janky solution of running software that automatically clears engine codes, because if something else goes wrong you won't have a CEL to let you know what's up.

If Fabspeed is going to say, "The code P0420 is an issue that can occur with our product, but does so in less than 1% off these installations." Well then they shouldn't be advertising as "No CEL Guaranteed"

Also Fabspeed saying, "If you plug it in and clear the codes, we have never heard of it returning due to our product." When, if you read the OP, he had the code cleared and it returned. So unless they didn't read the OP, it has re-occurred after clearing the code.

Plus, Fabspeed saying "You do not get a CEL with our sport cat dp and you do not have to tune it either." And then saying, "The Sport Cat increases air flow to the engine and when the engine performs its initial routine diagnosis that it does every 50 to 100 miles, it may trigger the code P0420" Is really contradicting... Again, do not market something as "No CEL Guaranteed" if this is the case.

Finally, "we have never heard of one reoccurring after the initial clear or occurring after that 50 to 100 miles threshold is surpassed." So this makes me think a CEL may occur in the first 50-100 miles after installing their sportcat, but, again, they do not advertise that, and if you look at the OP... his CEL didn't occur until after 10,000 miles and came back after clearing it. So, Fabspeed having a two year warranty would be useless to me if I get a CEL after 10,000 miles, because I won't put 10,000 miles on my M2 in two years.

So, with this information, I think they should stop advertising as "No CEL Guaranteed" because that's false advertising. And maybe extend their warranty.
I can understand the confusion over the CEL code and the 100% guarantee. I will let our team know your feedback and see if we can adjust the wording to make it crystal clear what we mean.

We guarantee that our product will not cause a lasting CEL. In less than 1% of installations there is one troubleshooting step required in order for that to stand true. We sell thousands of these, only a handful of people have ever had a CEL appear due to this issue, and it has always been cleared right away never to return. Again, I can see your confusion and will communicate your feedback to our team.

Quote:
I did answer your question. You asked "why is everyone so concerned about an OBD2 O2 sensor related CEL?" That's the question I answered. To answer more specifically, no one is concerned about that. No one is arguing the code or downpipe is harmful or dangerous. They are concerned about having a CEL from something that guarantees no CEL and the additional steps they need to take to correct the issue. ie, buying a scan tool to manually clear the codes, buying tune to automatically clear the codes, or finding someone to read the codes to make sure it's downpipe related and not something else and then clear the code, finding someone to do o2 reports before a warranty can be fulfilled, etc. The potential for all this hassle from something that advertises it's guaranteed to be perfect. You can argue that it's no big deal to do all of this. Which it may not be a big deal to you. But it is a big deal to me and others have expressed the same concerns.

"I do agree with you no DP is going to be perfect except the stock one." ...No, we don't agree, because I never said no downpipe is going to be perfect. I said Fabspeed guarantees their downpipe to be perfect. So it's assumed that both the stock downpipe AND Fabspeed downpipe will both be perfect. That is why people buy them.
OP did not have the issue we are discussing. His CEL went away on it’s own and he has theorized that it was due to using poor quality gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 06:41 PM   #46
Bombermon3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Just put a O2 spacer on
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #47
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombermon3 View Post
Just put a O2 spacer on
That might not be the best solution in every situation. That could lead you to run a lean code. If you have a downpipe and are throwing the best thing you can do is reach out to me I would be happy to help with any issues that you are having.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      11-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #48
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
That might not be the best solution in every situation. That could lead you to run a lean code. If you have a downpipe and are throwing the best thing you can do is reach out to me I would be happy to help with any issues that you are having.
In my experience with all things man made, even very high quality items, problems happen. The thing I look for next is how a company stands behind its product(s).

From what I can tell Fabspeed does a pretty good job with both the quality and support.

No connection.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #49
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombermon3 View Post
Just put a O2 spacer on
This rarely works properly. Please don't.
      11-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #50
untzklee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have fabspeed sport cat downpipe from fabspeed. Quality product. Great sound. No cel. =)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #51
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I think what you fail to emphasize to people when they're installing your downpipe is that the OEM donut gasket and V-band needs to be replaced also. BMW official repair manual explicitly require this to be replaced, upon replacement of the cat.

I've been observing the few people who had issues with your product and almost every time it's a leaking gasket being the main cause of CEL and not the actual downpipe.

Maybe you guys should offer the new OEM donut gasket & V-band with the downpipes sale. I honestly believe that will eliminate most, if not all the CEL issues and any negative reputation that's unwarranted.
I agree these should be replaced during install. Here are the part numbers for anyone interested.

DP to Exhaust Clamp: 18307620349 - $32.00
Gasket for Turbo: 18307581970 - $22.00

These ones I'm not sure "need" to be replaced, but are cheap enough to do anyway.

Mounting Bolt: 07119904992 - $0.61
Mounting Nut: 18307525607 - $1.40
DP to Turbo Clamp: 18307606136 - $34.00

Last edited by Anthony1s; 03-22-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
Dabozo624.50
      11-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #52
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

Quote:
I agree these should be replaced during install. Here are the part numbers for anyone interested.

Wich parts is needed for a M240i , i tried to google it, but can not find it
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #53
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszty View Post
Wich parts is needed for a M240i , i tried to google it, but can not find it
I don't know, this is a M2 thread. The M240i has a completely different motor. Better off asking in their forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #54
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

An update on the CEL. This is my 3rd time getting it as I didn't make a post the 2nd time since I figured I just reset and it didn't come back till now. Now I'm just gonna reset it again and hope it doesn't come back. Anyone having similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #55
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XProject View Post
I had CEL (P0240) on and off for ~9k. I noticed that CEL came back on every time I took my car to the freeway and drove for >25 miles. Luckily, I haven't seen CEL for 3 months now. It went away by itself. I didn't code it out. Maybe because I filled up the bad gas? I don't know for sure what happened.

btw, I have an O2 spacer installed by the installer. Should I remove it?
Why would you add another spacer? They DP already has spacers welded on as part of the design.
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 03-22-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #56
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Exhaust leaks will most certainly throw an O2 code. You can check for them with flexible tubing if you don't have a stethoscope. Hold one end to your ear and run the other end around the circumference of the joint. You'll definitely be able to tell if and where your leak is. Obviously the motor must be running.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #57
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Just want to give an update the CEL has came back on a few times but I haven't posted any updates in here. Last night the CEL has came back on again. I have about 25k miles on the car now. Downpipe was installed when I had about 7k miles back in Aug 2017. First CEL came on after 10k miles post install at 17,500.

I reached out to fabspeed and was asked if my 02 spacers were installed. My guy said no as in theory it's not necessary. I doubt it was an installation problem as it's a reputable shop and they installed in my friends M2 prior and never had problems. Also having a spacer doesn't feel proper as it's more of a bandaid and doesn't really fix the problem. I'm not sure if it could be a faulty 02 sensor but are there ways to check if it's bad? Fabspeed suggested to clean the 02 sensor.

Any suggestions on how I should move forward with this issue?
Attached Images

Last edited by D CHOI; 05-14-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #58
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Just want to give an update the CEL has came back on a few times but I haven't posted any updates in here. Last night the CEL has came back on again. I have about 25k miles on the car now. Downpipe was installed when I had about 7k miles back in Aug 2017. First CEL came on after 10k miles post install at 17,500.

I reached out to fabspeed and was asked if my 02 spacers were installed. My guy said no as in theory it's not necessary. I doubt it was an installation problem as it's a reputable shop and they installed in my friends M2 prior and never had problems. Also having a spacer doesn't feel proper as it's more of a bandaid and doesn't really fix the problem. I'm not sure if it could be a faulty 02 sensor but are there ways to check if it's bad? Fabspeed suggested to clean the 02 sensor.

Any suggestions on how I should move forward with this issue?
As far as I'm aware, Fabspeed says to not use O2 spacers and doesn't include them.

Did you ever find a place that could get a graph printout to check the O2 sensors are functioning properly? I remember this was the hold-up on you getting a warranty replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #59
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Fabspeed is willing to send me a spacer to fix the issue as this seems to be the easiest solution to the problem.

I haven't went to get the graph printout but I prolly should ask for one but not sure if that will help since it's fine majority of the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #60
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

It sounds like the cat is on the way out..

The better solution is to replace it not to try some Band-aid fix.

Spacers, CatSims, or anyone other defeat devices to avoid a CEL doesn't work on EWG N55s, that was an N54 trick that some assume still works; trust me, it doesn't. Hence the reason companies like Fabspeed "No CEL" are so popular; if there was a easier, cheaper solution (such as spacers), enthusiast would be all over it by now..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #61
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It sounds like the cat is on the way out..

The better solution is to replace it not to try some Band-aid fix.

Spacers, CatSims, or anyone other defeat devices to avoid a CEL doesn't work on EWG N55s, that was an N54 trick that some assume still works; trust me, it doesn't. Hence the reason companies like Fabspeed "No CEL" are so popular; if there was a easier, cheaper solution (such as spacers), enthusiast would be all over it by now..
The issue is Fabspeed wants him to do some ridiculous testing of the O2 sensors before they will approve a warranty replacement, which no one even knows where to get that testing done at. And I doubt Fabspeed will reimburse for the testing either.

I remember someone saying the Fi Downpipe has extra cat material around the O2 sensors that prevents a CEL. Have you heard of that before? Is that what you meant by CatSims?

EDIT: Actually, it seems like bootmod3 can read o2 sensors. But OP doesn't have bootmod3.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 05-14-2019 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #62
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
The issue is Fabspeed wants him to do some ridiculous testing of the O2 sensors before they will approve a warranty replacement, which no one even knows where to get that testing done at. And I doubt Fabspeed will reimburse for the testing either.

I remember someone saying the Fi Downpipe has extra cat material around the O2 sensors that prevents a CEL. Have you heard of that before? Is that what you meant by CatSims?

EDIT: Actually, it seems like bootmod3 can read o2 sensors. But OP doesn't have bootmod3.
We're in agreement, it's total BS they make you jump through so many hoops to address such an obvious, reoccurring issue. I believe its to discourage any claims.. But I'll digress..

I meant a Cat Simulator; it's a piggyback device that taps into downstream O2 sensor to trick the ECU into believing it is operating in a plausible emissions parameter.

It use to be popular with the E series BMWs and worked very well when BMW used MSD80 ECUs, these new Bosch ECUs with EWGs its doesn't work and has been know to leave "shadow codes" in the N series's memory, which the dealer could possible detect.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1354108

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1387542
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      05-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #63
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

It's disappointing to think the cat would be going out that soon. I'm also showing fabspeed this thread to bring awareness of the issue I'm having and what people have to say.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #64
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1488578

I am in the market for a catted DP as we speak and upon doing some basic research came across this thread. This was for a M235i but the Fabspeed Sport Cat DP is the exact same part they sell to the 2 series guys.

Long story short, customer had a faulty part, FS tried to defer the fault to everything BUT their own. Told customer to never bend or forcefully alter any part of the DP to complete install. Later they applauded the customer for bending the DP AND the OEM BMW bracket to make the part fit. Few more cases of exact same caliber come up and FS ends up doing a recall of some sort.

The actual read is much more interesting but that's the idea of it. Looking at this thread I think I've made up my mind to go with a different brand. Everyone makes mistakes, even BMW. But the way they handle the situation is what's important. Seems like the first line of action taken by FS with customer issues is to defer them back to the customer.

I'll probably go with a different brand and it seems like the likelihood of the DP throwing a CEL at some point down the road is definitely present. But at least i didn't buy a product where i was guaranteed to not throw a CEL and then got the runaround when an issue arises

Good luck to all with CELs, hope it gets resolved.
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Poochie9099.00
      05-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #65
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Update from Fabspeed

After further discussion with my installer we have come to the conclusion that the spacer may not fit your application. I would like to start the warranty claim now and see what information we can gather. Can you please provide the following information.

-​All aftermarket modifications to the vehicle
-Fuel type
-Tune information if applicable
-Detailed ECU printout or screenshot showing catalyst fault code, Please include all faults if there are multiple
-Graph of O2 sensors both pre, and post catalyst

Any and all other diagnostic information gathered
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #66
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

So yet another typical fabspeed response
a) It's your fault but here we'll send you a spacer as a bandaid
b) lol nvm no spacer for you but here some more hoops to go through before warranty claim

for once i just want to see fabspeed go at least something like this: "we are very sorry you're having issues. Please send us your sport cat and we will diagnose"

To OP, good luck I hope you get this sorted out for yourself
Appreciate 0