BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Why I will never buy another BMW... (Am I wrong to feel pissed at BMW ?)

04-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #89
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Problems I have with cars and why I've accepted it's a losing battle:

Won't buy a first year year.

Typically won't buy a second year car because an LCI is likely soon.

Won't buy an LCI because it's the last year model that becomes the most valuable.

Won't buy a last year model because a newer (better) version is coming out.

Then repeat indefinitely.
Lol, I used to think that way too until I realized I'd never be happy unless I just dove in head first without giving a shit about what's to come. I can understand not wanting to buy first year in order to let them work out the kinks/recalls but after that I think it's really dumb to put off a purchase in anticipation of what's next.

Also, I don't think I'd enjoy owning a car that didn't have at least a small to do list. For some reason ordering parts, waiting for them to arrive, then unboxing and installing them is just as important and fun to me as the driving itself. Now that the M2C is coming out, instead of sulking or getting mad I'm super excited at the prospect of getting a ton of new OEM parts to choose from and all the new projects I'll get to start. 6 piston brakes are first on the to do list

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 04-19-2018 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #90
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I could be wrong since I’ve never been a sales man but as a service advisor I see what the dealers do to make a profit on new car sales. If you came in and put a deposit down that guarantees you the allocation. That doesn’t mean you pay Msrp though. The demand will be high and adm will be normal for the car so a $2500 deposit isn’t really gonna change the dealers mindset of getting every dollar they can for the car. If the car arrives and you don’t wanna pay the adm, here’s your deposit back the next guy behind you will pay the adm. my $.02
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #91
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Not true at all! People said the same thing when the base M2 came out in 2016. Most people got their cars at MSRP and the hype for the M2 back then was crazier than the hype for M2C. There are so many dealers that do not sell over MSRP per their policy. In fact, I already signed my purchase agreement (official dealer document with terms and conditions, signed by both parties) that explicitly states the car will be sold at MSRP.
There are some auto groups that don’t charge adm, I work for one of them. But with the sports car market hot right now and money to be made the cars get marked up and they get swooped up quickly. The F90 M5 sold for $10k over.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #92
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Not true at all! People said the same thing when the base M2 came out in 2016. Most people got their cars at MSRP and the hype for the M2 back then was crazier than the hype for M2C. There are so many dealers that do not sell over MSRP per their policy. In fact, I already signed my purchase agreement (official dealer document with terms and conditions, signed by both parties) that explicitly states the car will be sold at MSRP.
There are some auto groups that don't charge adm, I work for one of them. But with the sports car market hot right now and money to be made the cars get marked up and they get swooped up quickly. The F90 M5 sold for $10k over.
Agree to disagree. You earlier said if you want an M2 Comp you have to wait till mid 2019. Just wait couple months till the first deliveries start. You'll be surprised how many people will get these at MSRP.

Also, Bay Area dealers are always too greedy. I know BMW of Fremont was asking $10k over for their first F90 M5. That's why I always try to avoid Bay Area dealers when buying/leasing a new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:50 PM   #93
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I won't buy another BMW because Porsche is better. I've had my m2 for two years and I really like it but, I've felt this way from the beginning. They could've done the mirrors and seats etc from the beginning, but they don't care about the "enthusiast customer" make more money and buy a Porsche. BMW feels very AMG these days...
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #94
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarsoum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Lol, I used to think that way too until I realized I'd never be happy unless I just dove in head first without giving a shit about what's to come. I can understand not wanting to buy first year in order to let them work out the kinks/recalls but after that I think it's really dumb to put off a purchase in anticipation of what's next.
Exactly that! I just ordered a 2018 M2 knowing fully well that the Competition edition is coming out and maybe a GTS version in the future. One can't wait for the next best thing, because you end up losing sight of what's beautiful now (and the M2 is a beautiful car!)
Same for me, never buy first production, I ordered my 18 LCI in Dec having spent hours on forums talking about future great coming M2C, and I am so happy I did. I dreamed about M cars since I was 30 years old (48now), could never find the one despite wasting part of my life on second hand adds till I decided to jump on brand new M2 as I got totally possessed by this car.

To me, customer service is Key! and BMW has failed many times in that area. So I decided to go to Audi. Then guess what they failed too! Honestly those brands they have great engineers who create amazing cars, but sometimes their Management decisions towards premium clients is stupidely arrogant and frustrating. So now I am just in the mood that I will not buy any Audi and their crappy after sales anymore!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #95
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

It certainly was to their advantage to flag the car as the CS in their system and let the CS as a limited run car rumor run wild so people kept buying N55 M2s thinking they would not be able to get or not able to afford a limited CS anyway. Then BMW swaps the name from CS to Competition and replaces N55 M2.

How do you think the N55 M2 will be remembered?

How do you think the N54 1M would be remembered had they done another model year with the S65 engine? I don't think history would treat the N54 1M so kindly then.
Appreciate 3
stefan2349.50
Nkc1600.50
      04-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #96
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Lol.. you'll never buy your favourite brand anymore because they upgraded your model, as announced, a year later. You must hate apple.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992541.50
      04-20-2018, 02:05 AM   #97
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Allegro Vanden Plas

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
I simply wanted to see how long he was here to see if he was a troll or not. When I read that post I quoted, it proved he already knew and he could have waited so I called him out on that. He still could be waiting. He made his choice was my only point. He cannot blame BMW for that alone. Something better is always on the horizon.
In hindsight I probably shouldn't have titled it "Why I will never buy..."
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00
      04-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #98
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Amazing how quickly we can go from, "thrilled to have this car" to, "no longer want to buy a BMW because a new one came out."

The current M2 is an awesome car! New cars don't change that! Just wait a year or so until one hits a lot near you for a test-drive to determine if it's worth the price of admission.
I still think my car is awesome but I'm, or should I say I was, pissed with BMW. Reading the comments, I clearly have no reason to be pissed.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:17 AM   #99
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm4w View Post
So IMO it would be wise to sell it before the resale value nosedives when the new one releases
I'm going to keep it as I love it and I'm also going to wait until the 2nd generation M2 has been out a year and if I still love it I will buy one 2nd hand from a private seller. I shouldn't have titled my post as I did. I was angry
Appreciate 1
bm4w145.50
      04-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #100
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Just harassing and give you a hard time for fun. I think you are probably starting to see that it's not really a big deal and you will live through it.
It's been great. I've read all the comments. Yesterday I was angry and today I'm not and if I hadn't posted on here I would still be feeling angry at BMW. Now I see that's just business.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #101
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Found this in your post history... so do tell us how upset you are with your OWN CHOICE in not waiting....
I'm not sure why this is confusing to so many of you. Most people at the time thought the CS was a much more expensive and limited car that most wouldn't even have the opportunity to purchase without paying an extreme mark up. Why wait for a car you wouldn't even have the chance to purchase? Turns out the car many thought was the CS was instead the future base model.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2018, 03:49 AM   #102
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

OP, all of your complaints are ridiculous and most are your fault. It has been clear that the N55 engine was going to be phased out, I knew this in 2016 and anyone who did even a modest amount of information would know the same. Your complaint about the colors is silly, BMW doesn't tell their sales guys there product plans so expecting them to know information like future product details before they are announced is silly. Due to Euro environmental restrictions that are being implemented this year the N55 has to go, BMW didn't have much choice, in fact they have decided to stop production of the M3 this summer because they needed to do further mods to get it to pass. If you want to blame someone find the politicians who passed the rules.

You have not been damaged in any way, that car you loved is still in your possession to enjoy.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 03:52 AM   #103
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Also don't bet on the similar money assumption you make. Read the interview with the head of BMW M Division and you will hear him talk about much of the content such as 6 piston brakes, new wheels, M4 seats etc are optional. I suspect the base version of the Comp will be a couple of grand more but to load it up will approach M4 base price levels.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #104
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

This is the second biggest performance screw up right after e90 330 -> 335. But considering it's messing up with M car, I'd say it's the hardest one to swallow.
stefan2349.50
      04-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #105
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMs335D View Post
Lol.. you'll never buy your favourite brand anymore because they upgraded your model, as announced, a year later. You must hate apple.
Ha! I do have an iPhone and Macbook, iPad etc but I don't dislike Apple. I don't feel this way about anything else. Stuff gets updated. I don't mind.

I think my issue was I invested too much emotion in the purchase. This was something that I had waited years to do, only for it to be made a little less special shortly after.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2018, 04:20 AM   #106
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Biscuits View Post
I had to look up butthurt as I've never heard it and you're definitely right. It's one of the reasons I had to post this was because I felt so annoyed with BMW band I needed to see if I was being "unjustifiably offended" and reading the replies, it's clear that I am.

I find it amazing that everyone is so ok with their items becoming obsolete so quickly, but I guess that's progress.
Yeah man, I mean who'd be surprised if the 4 series next year gets the S55 or the M4 is getting the S58 come August. I mean it's further progress, and we can't blame BMW for that. Hell maybe the M240 gets the S55 next year too!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:29 AM   #107
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
OP, all of your complaints are ridiculous and most are your fault.
I wasn't suggesting I wasn't my fault. I went to a BMW dealership and said get me the LCI as soon as you can after production starts. I guess the issue I have is that I was under the belief the 2018 model was the CS. Even the dealership where I bought mine were saying the same thing. Sadly, they probably knew as much as I did.

But from reading the comments I see I should not be annoyed at BMW. It's just business. My wife said to me last night I should sell it and buy the CS but honestly, I don't want to do that. I love my car. I just wish it wasn't replaced so soon after I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #108
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
For all those telling this guy to get lost, DO consider that BMW pulled a pretty strange move by doing an LCI and then ANOTHER refresh. By all logic, the LCI would have been the mid cycle refresh of the M2 and that would have been that.

But no, they decide to completely overhaul the car without increasing the price much. Now that's what really gets me because essentially I was ripped off. Substantially so.

Now the noise the S55 makes will never make me want for the M2 Comp but damn if I didn't overpay for my LCI M2 by comparison. New front end is hideous btw, not sure what the fanboys are on about.

BMW, I'll accept M mirrors as compensation
I just don't understand why people don't get this. I feel like I am living in an alternate universe. The way the M2 was refreshed was bizarre. I mean I just don't see a similar thing happening to another BMW in the near future but most people here act like it's common.
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2018, 04:47 AM   #109
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
It did go on a bit didn't it. Next time I have a whine I'll keep it shorter
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:50 AM   #110
Lieutenant Biscuits
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I just don't understand why people don't get this. I feel like I am living in an alternate universe. The way the M2 was refreshed was bizarre. I mean I just don't see a similar thing happening to another BMW in the near future but most people here act like it's common.
It's good to know I'm not alone on this.
Appreciate 1
stefan2349.50