BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple iOS topics

08-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #89
Stilakazam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I only wish they allowed more than just the idrive wheel scrolling to navigate the carplay UI. (This is on a 2017 M2, so no touchscreen)

Only thing I use it for is music since the Wireless Carplay audio quality is much better than the Bluetooth music. It's on par with digital cable connect. And that it also allows navigation of deeper apple music/google play music UI. Idrive still can't access my music and the radio stations in apple music and no sub menus in google play music.

Other thing is with Carplay accessing Siri is much faster. It doesn't have to connect a Bluetooth phone call to talk to Siri, just directly over Wifi no lag.

But as you can see, That's only one part of Carplay. I don't use anything else in the carplay menus and nav with idrive nav. The only way to make me switch to Carplay maps is if they ever enable Waze, since it's more accurate with traffic times and routes around traffic better than idrive maps.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #90
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I prefer the Carplay maps over iDrive, something about the freeways being outlined in red makes it seem like that's congested traffic and not a highway.

I do wish Carplay would be able to display a text rather than just read it out loud (I know, dangerous, but its better than looking at your phone)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #91
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

CarPlay keeps launching Pandora, BMW Connected, TuneIn and all of the CarPlay-enabled apps when it first connects to the car, THEN the car is unable to choose a different audio source. Always keeps playing Apple Music files, and if I switch to another source (Satellite, FM, etc) it immediately switches back to CarPlay.

iDrive update from the dealer did nothing to fix this issue.

CarPlay sucks balls.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #92
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I'm pretty happy with CarPlay so far. Admittedly, all I've used it for is to play podcasts, and occasionally playlists from Music. It has started up pretty consistently when I start the car, which is something all my prior Bluetooth connections I've used often failed at.

I hardly listen to the radio, so that may help. The sound quality has been really good also, both for music and telephone calls. Much better than prior Bluetooth experiences.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #93
Emhyr var Emreis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post

I do wish Carplay would be able to display a text rather than just read it out loud (I know, dangerous, but its better than looking at your phone)
Well, the idea is that you don't look at the phone either :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried
CarPlay keeps launching Pandora, BMW Connected, TuneIn and all of the CarPlay-enabled apps when it first connects to the car, THEN the car is unable to choose a different audio source. Always keeps playing Apple Music files, and if I switch to another source (Satellite, FM, etc) it immediately switches back to CarPlay.
That's odd. It almost sounds like some app on the phone is attempting to play audio which triggers an audio source change. Maybe try terminating the app the OS launched (from the app switcher), and then changing the source.

My experience has actually been pretty good so far. In fact today I was pleasantly surprised because I had Waze running on my phone but I was listening to music from the Music Collection source, and it ducked the music while the Waze guidance was being spoken. So it seems like the system is capable of mixing multiple audio sources, at least in some situations.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #94
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emhyr var Emreis View Post
That's odd. It almost sounds like some app on the phone is attempting to play audio which triggers an audio source change. Maybe try terminating the app the OS launched (from the app switcher), and then changing the source.
I think you're exactly right - the problem is on the iOS side, but I've not found a solution. If I kill all of the apps including Apple Music, then try switching to i.e. Satellite Radio, iDrive will revert to Apple Music again (and launch the app) about 0.5 seconds after playing audio from Satellite Radio.

It's intermittent. The next time I come back to the car, CarPlay might connect and function perfectly normally. I don't know why this happens, but it's been consistent throughout numerous iOS updates over the last 10 months, and I've tried everything to make it stop - including a dealer update to iDrive itself. Nothing resolves that annoying, intermittent issue.

Last edited by ried; 08-25-2017 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #95
Tumbleweeds78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emhyr var Emreis View Post
I think you're exactly right - the problem is on the iOS side, but I've not found a solution. If I kill all of the apps including Apple Music, then try switching to i.e. Satellite Radio, iDrive will revert to Apple Music again (and launch the app) about 0.5 seconds after playing audio from Satellite Radio.

It's intermittent. The next time I come back to the car, CarPlay might connect and function perfectly normally. I don't know why this happens, but it's been consistent throughout many iOS update over the last 10 months, and I've tried everything to make it stop - including a dealer update to iDrive itself. Nothing resolves that annoying, intermittent issue.
I'm not sure it's CarPlay that's the issue. I don't have CarPlay and I occasionally experience the same issue with idrive. Earlier today pandora kept opening and kicking me out of Sirius.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      08-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #96
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweeds78 View Post
I'm not sure it's CarPlay that's the issue. I don't have CarPlay and I occasionally experience the same issue with idrive. Earlier today pandora kept opening and kicking me out of Sirius.
Very interesting. Anyone else without CarPlay experience the app launching phenomenon?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #97
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweeds78 View Post
Very interesting. Anyone else without CarPlay experience the app launching phenomenon?
Might be a bad cable tricking car play that it has a new connected device.
      08-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #98
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Might be a bad cable tricking car play that it has a new connected device.
Good thought, but there is no cable involved. Wireless only.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #99
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
do you have bluetooth on at the same time? maybe it is trying to establish a connection to both protocols or something. (I have them both on, but no problems)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #100
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
"Wireless" Apple CarPlay handshakes using BTLE and then communicated everything over wireless including Phone.

If you plug the phone into the USB, I don't know if CarPlay will switch back to a wired connection. Apple CarPlay supports both wired and wireless not sure how BMW implemented it.

I have funky behavior especially when setting up for autocross and switching wireless to the GoPro to preview the camera alignment when the phone is also plugged into the USB. This is related to how BMW programmed the connection and switching logic not Apple. When the wireless drops the car will see that it is plugged in and switch me to BMW Connect and the BMW Connect app will start. A real PITA. This might be what you are seeing and perhaps Pandora is opening "through" BMW Connect.

One interesting item. I am able to connect my iPhone wireless to the ODBII connector and via BTLE and BMW Connect to the car and run both the M Drive Analyzer and M Laptimer at the same time. Unfortunately, I cannot connect the M Laptimer to the GoPro b/c that requires wireless which is already being used by the ODBII/ M Drive Analyzer. Now if the M Drive Analyzer developers were to update the app to use BTLE I could connect to the car directly or to a newer BTLE ODBII adapter. Before you say it, yes iPhones can connect to the ODBII via BTLE just not BT connectors using ELM327 (serial).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #101
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Even if you have CarPlay turned off in the car, does it still show up on your available networks list (say when pressing wifi on your iPhone)? Any way to turn off it's wifi broadcast?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #102
coralcaves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2 MG DCT on order.

Quote:

CarPlay sucks balls.
I'm seeing this too and it is soooo frustrating....I have to just turn carplay off altogether to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #103
coralcaves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2 MG DCT on order.

That being said I've noticed it only happens if I left the car playing something from the iphone. When I return it's like it insists on launching that....if I let it launch then stop it...I can then change to sirius or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #104
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcaves View Post
That being said I've noticed it only happens if I left the car playing something from the iphone. When I return it's like it insists on launching that....if I let it launch then stop it...I can then change to sirius or whatever.
Mine will do it regardless of the previous session's audio source. It just "decides" to take over, seemingly randomly.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #105
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenklaw View Post
My carplay works perfectly well enough, I just don't really understand the point of it as it doesn't do anything as far as I can make out that the iDrive 4/5/6 system doesn't do better? Please point out anything I am missing in terms of better features though as I actually want to use it!!!
You will loose map updates and real-time traffic in 4 years/50K unless you pay to renew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Just rented a Dodge Charger with Carplay and I was impressed! Seemed to work much better than my M2 - MUCH. The touch screen helped, but there was more to it - connected nicely, and did what it was supposed to do - also, Apple maps was not too bad either!
So just maybe all the Apple CarPlay bashing should be directed toward BMW's integration of Apple CarPlay and not Apple CarPlay?

Quote:

CarPlay sucks balls.
BMW Connected is NOT an Apple CarPlay app. Are you sure the car is not selecting Pandora through BMW Connected?

I have absolutely zero issues switching from Apple CarPlay Music to the FM Radio in the car. I also like that Apple CarPlay picks up the song where I left off when I got out of the car.

Last edited by omasou; 09-08-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
geogerf115.50
      10-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #106
JeffM2PRDallas
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

iOS 11.0.2 and BMW iDrive connectivity issues

Since I update to an IPhone 8 the I Drive is rebooting during phone calls.
Anyone have experience this issue?

Last edited by JeffM2PRDallas; 10-09-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
njw58.00
      10-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #107
LGWGN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Roadster

Same phone and not experiencing any issues. Actually just switched over from a Samsung S8 and am surprised how much better the Apple works with the car.
      10-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #108
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_M2_PRinDallas View Post
Please change your thread title. 11.2 is not out yet. 11.1 is beta as of today.
I think you may be thinking 11.0.2
      10-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #109
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_M2_PRinDallas View Post
No issues here with iPhone 8 and idrive 5 (MY17);, Nav and Apple Music are all working as expected. Apple Music has been working better than my iPhone 6, same IOS version.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #110
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
iOS 11.0.3 is out. Try that and see what happens
Appreciate 1