BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Dealer Issues w/ ordering M2

09-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Dealer Issues w/ ordering M2

Hi all,

I wanted to discuss some issues I have been having with ordering a 2018 LCI M2, and wanted to solicit some advice on best courses of action.

Like many here, I originally preordered and placed a deposit the M2 shortly after it was officially announced. Unfortunately, I was 20-something on the wait list, and had only reached my allocation a few months ago. Having waited over a year already, I decided to defer my allocation to a LCI model as I figured the standard back-up camera would save me from having to purchase the executive package.

Now for the issues. Throughout this entire process, my salesman and dealership have been unhelpful to say the least. Besides taking my deposit, the salesman had been pretty much ignoring all my emails and phone calls asking about the wait and other questions. I had already raised this issue to the manager of the dealer, which got my initial round of questions answered. The salesman since than has essentially been ignoring all the e-mails I have sent, and only responding to further along the sale process. For example, when it came time to place my order the salesman just asked me what I wanted in the car without sending me any materials to pick from. I emailed him back asking for the option list, as well as a couple other questions. The only one he answered was the option list. He has literally ignored the other questions in the same e-mail simply because they don't further the order process along, despite numerous emails afterwards asking the same things.

Now for the major issue, when I decided to defer my order to the LCI M2, I had raised the possibility of doing a PCD. This being my first M car, I wanted a special experience and due to flight benefits, I would also save money from the PCD. After numerous emails to the salesman asking about the PCD, he finally answered "the manager says it can be done, will look into it." It has now been a couple months after, and recently the salesman emailed me to say "car is in transit." I ask about when the PCD is and he replies "PCD is now not available because the car is already in transit to port."

Essentially all my salesman has done for me is take my money, ignore my questions/concerns, only respond to further along the build process, and failed to deliver on my PCD request without communication. Am I wrong to think that a salesman should be assisting me with the purchase instead of making the whole process a headache?

I'm annoyed enough that despite the long wait, I may just turn down the car and get my deposit back. I want to give the manager a chance to make it right, but what concessions do you think are reasonable to ask for?

TLDR: Salesman has been ignoring me throughout the whole M2 process. I lost out on my PCD opportunity due to this. I am now annoyed enough that I have two options. Option 1: Turn down car. Option 2: Give manager a chance to make it right. What concessions would be reasonable?
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      09-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Clearly they do not really care about your sale. Given that you really want to do PDC, then it doesn't really matter what dealer you purchase from does it?. If you're willing to wait another 2 or 3 months, I'd be willing to wager you could find a dealer who could get you a car at PDC for MSRP fairly quickly.

Given their lack of interest in your sale, I wouldn't be surprised that they would also have little interest in providing you any concessions - they've already demonstrated that they don't care if you walk.

Pretty unfortunate situation - I can imagine your frustration. At the risk of increasing your frustration - I never went on any wait-list, called my CA on the day the MY18 book opened (mid June) asked him to order me a car if he'd sell it at MSRP. He said sure. Car is built and now at port waiting to get on a boat to California. No deposit - I've given them zero dollars and signed nothing. That said - I've bought about a dozen cars from them over the years, so I'm sure they view me as a "safe" and valued customer. My point though is that I'm sure you could find a dealer that would do the same - and if you're willing to wait another 3 months or so, you have that option. Heck - I've seen 5 or 6 "allocation available right now" cars mentioned on this forum in the past couple of weeks.

If you are willing to flex the option of walking, you have as much leverage as you're ever going to have with your current dealer (barring criminal activity on their part). So the choice is kinda yours - you could tell them that you're going to walk without a meaningful make-it-better concession. I don't imagine they will ever choose to lose money on the deal - but they could sell it to you at invoice and still make money - perhaps that's what you should suggest.

Just my 2 cents ... good luck and sorry to hear about your headaches.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

It's really hit and miss with dealers. There's no customer loyalty with particular salespeople I find, as every time I'm in the market for a new car, the sales person I dealt with last has moved on. High turnover. Your best bet (bit late now, but valuable lesson) is to get all the details sorted out when the sales person is most engaged with you. i.e at point of initial sales agreement.

A little off topic, but this is my very recent story w.r.t dealers.

My buddy and I were busting our butts looking for a dealer in San Diego area that would do 2 x M2 with Euro Delivery @ MSRP, we tried for months but dealers were either unwilling to do ED or marking up 5K over MSRP.
Eventually my buddy hit on 2 allocations available at same dealer @ MSRP but no ED, with some weird requirement that we use their financing, so we settled for that. He was promised there were 2 available for us, however when he went in to secure them, one of them had mysteriously disappeared. At this point we had decided just try and get 2 any way we could, so he took the available allocation. The sales guy called me and said, no worries, we'll have another allocation in 6 weeks, "maybe".
I was sitting at home at the time and decided to check via web chat with Beverly Hills BMW (volume M dealer) if they had any allocations, and to my good fortune they had one in production that I could still change the specs on. The deal was completed over chat/email within 20 minutes, production number provided and I'm scheduled production complete Sept 4. Not only that but my sales guy asked me if I wanted to do ED!!
When I mentioned this to my buddy, he emailed his dealer asking for his production number and after days of waiting for the sales guy to get back in the office was just told, "yours is in the build bank" wtf? He has tried unsuccessfully to get a straight answer from these guys and is visiting the dealer in person tomorrow for a face to face :-). My experience has been simple, fun and efficient, his experience has been stressful and not a bit fun at all.
      09-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Branof86
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post
Hi all,

I wanted to discuss some issues I have been having with ordering a 2018 LCI M2, and wanted to solicit some advice on best courses of action.

Like many here, I originally preordered and placed a deposit the M2 shortly after it was officially announced. Unfortunately, I was 20-something on the wait list, and had only reached my allocation a few months ago. Having waited over a year already, I decided to defer my allocation to a LCI model as I figured the standard back-up camera would save me from having to purchase the executive package.

Now for the issues. Throughout this entire process, my salesman and dealership have been unhelpful to say the least. Besides taking my deposit, the salesman had been pretty much ignoring all my emails and phone calls asking about the wait and other questions. I had already raised this issue to the manager of the dealer, which got my initial round of questions answered. The salesman since than has essentially been ignoring all the e-mails I have sent, and only responding to further along the sale process. For example, when it came time to place my order the salesman just asked me what I wanted in the car without sending me any materials to pick from. I emailed him back asking for the option list, as well as a couple other questions. The only one he answered was the option list. He has literally ignored the other questions in the same e-mail simply because they don't further the order process along, despite numerous emails afterwards asking the same things.

Now for the major issue, when I decided to defer my order to the LCI M2, I had raised the possibility of doing a PCD. This being my first M car, I wanted a special experience and due to flight benefits, I would also save money from the PCD. After numerous emails to the salesman asking about the PCD, he finally answered "the manager says it can be done, will look into it." It has now been a couple months after, and recently the salesman emailed me to say "car is in transit." I ask about when the PCD is and he replies "PCD is now not available because the car is already in transit to port."

Essentially all my salesman has done for me is take my money, ignore my questions/concerns, only respond to further along the build process, and failed to deliver on my PCD request without communication. Am I wrong to think that a salesman should be assisting me with the purchase instead of making the whole process a headache?

I'm annoyed enough that despite the long wait, I may just turn down the car and get my deposit back. I want to give the manager a chance to make it right, but what concessions do you think are reasonable to ask for?

TLDR: Salesman has been ignoring me throughout the whole M2 process. I lost out on my PCD opportunity due to this. I am now annoyed enough that I have two options. Option 1: Turn down car. Option 2: Give manager a chance to make it right. What concessions would be reasonable?

I had a similar situation.. ended up calling around other dealers.. got one and doing a pcd in October. I had two deposits at one time.. and then cancelled the original one. There are some amendable orders out there from this forum.. doesn't hurt to call.. you may be surprised.. if you like it.. put the deposit and cancel the the ordinal order.

Second option.. you can still do a PCD after taking delivery.. not sure how that is done.. but I know many have done that.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Maybe you're too high maintenance? Just saying.

Last edited by omasou; 09-01-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
COLOM210.50
      09-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Sounds like my CA also. I think basically, most of them are no more useful than the guy at Home Depot who you can sometimes grab if you cant find something. Seems we're expected to track our own cars, and find out our own options. Times have definitely changed, and not for the better in this regard.
      09-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Have you tried talking directly to the real sales manager or general manager of the dealership, to explain your issues with that sales rep? I'd print out the emails sent, dates of calls with no replies, etc. Start there, you might be surprised that some of these managers will actually take action and try to please the customer. Even sub par managers will try to avoid getting reported to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #8
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

Even though the CA hasn't been the most communicative I don't see this as a reason for them to give you concessions. I mean what do you expect them to do? Give you thousands off because they didn't answer your emails? Cmon that seems a bit over the top of you ask me. It must not have been too bad since you could have easily called other dealers to get an allocation rather than wait from #20 on a list.

It's been my experience that members of forums such as these have the best info anyway and most of the time the CAs don't know shit. So if you have questions I would search for the answers here and then start a thread if you can't find the answer you're looking for. A lot of knowledge on these forums.

And finally some perspective. This is still a somewhat difficult car to get. I'm sure many people are disappointed that they can't easily obtain one. At this point you at least have a car coming despite how the sales people treat you. Be grateful and then move on from that dealership in your next purchase.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

I live in Orange County California where you’ll see more Porsche 911s than Honda Civics on any given day. Multiple Ferrari’s and McLaren’s on my daily commute. This is my first BMW after owning each of the other of the big 3 plus a Lexus. The BMW dealerships around me are moving 760s and M5s by the dozens. So as you can imagine it was tough to find one interested in selling me an M2. I’m sure others here might disagree but I can’t imagine any of these guys could ever relate to my situation and or put aside the time requiredto form a business connection with me.

I went an hour outside of LA for my CA and my M2. To finally find someone who respected me. He’ll get my F90 M5 business as well.

My point is take the time to find someone who’s going to treat you well during the sale. Because you’ll probably need them after.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
linjaron
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soco352 View Post
Even though the CA hasn't been the most communicative I don't see this as a reason for them to give you concessions. I mean what do you expect them to do? Give you thousands off because they didn't answer your emails? Cmon that seems a bit over the top of you ask me. It must not have been too bad since you could have easily called other dealers to get an allocation rather than wait from #20 on a list.
Well, if the issue was just being unresponsive, I probably would have sucked it up and just dealt with it. The main issue is that because of the unresponsive SA, PCD is no longer an option (the thousands I would be saving is mainly the difference in price between PCD and MSRP). Two months ago, his email word for word said "We can do the performance delivery."

Edit: I already plan on going to the dealership in person to speak with the manager. I just want to have my research done on what would be fair for both parties. I don't expect some crazy discounts (possibly a PCD price match if anything), but rather something to makeup for the PCD that was agreed upon. I don't think this is unreasonable since the salesman already said they could do it. I just wanted to see the opinions of other enthusiasts on this forum to keep myself from being too biased. Thank you all for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #11
WarrENDeatH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Type R

Bad thread to ask...but what difference does the LCI make in the 2018? I keep hearing/seeing this being brought up.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #12
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrENDeatH View Post
Bad thread to ask...but what difference does the LCI make in the 2018? I keep hearing/seeing this being brought up.
This is covered all over the place here, but Cliff's Notes:
  • Backup camera is standard for all 2018 in the US (previously was part of exec package)
  • new dashboard shape & revised gauges (old ones were hard to read in certain conditions for some people)
  • headlights and tail lights are 100% LED now, standard headlights no longer swivel into turns (all 2016-17 had swiveling xenon/HIDs)
  • Exec package includes "adaptive" LEDs with swivel/etc, and the adaptive lights have the new hexagon-ish "angel eyes". So in the US, it is generally possible to tell if someone got exec package just by looking at the headlights. (there are a few exceptions, some people managed to get the adaptive headlights without exec package, but this seems to be "an accident" and has been covered at length in other threads)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Well, if the issue was just being unresponsive, I probably would have sucked it up and just dealt with it. The main issue is that because of the unresponsive SA, PCD is no longer an option (the thousands I would be saving is mainly the difference in price between PCD and MSRP). Two months ago, his email word for word said "We can do the performance delivery."

Edit: I already plan on going to the dealership in person to speak with the manager. I just want to have my research done on what would be fair for both parties. I don't expect some crazy discounts (possibly a PCD price match if anything), but rather something to makeup for the PCD that was agreed upon. I don't think this is unreasonable since the salesman already said they could do it. I just wanted to see the opinions of other enthusiasts on this forum to keep myself from being too biased. Thank you all for your thoughts!

What was the difference between PCD pricing and MSRP? My dealer did not mention anything different in pricing.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #14
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
This is covered all over the place here, but Cliff's Notes:
  • Backup camera is standard for all 2018 in the US (previously was part of exec package)
  • new dashboard shape & revised gauges (old ones were hard to read in certain conditions for some people)
  • headlights and tail lights are 100% LED now, standard headlights no longer swivel into turns (all 2016-17 had swiveling xenon/HIDs)
  • Exec package includes "adaptive" LEDs with swivel/etc, and the adaptive lights have the new hexagon-ish "angel eyes". So in the US, it is generally possible to tell if someone got exec package just by looking at the headlights. (there are a few exceptions, some people managed to get the adaptive headlights without exec package, but this seems to be "an accident" and has been covered at length in other threads)
The new dashboard shape looses some carbon around the side vents unfortunately, but (in my opinion) more than makes up for that in the single piece design.

No-one has mentioned it on here, but the gauge cluster looks like it's made out of 3 or 4 pieces pre-LCI. Post LCI the gauge cluster looks integral to the whole dash. Maybe it's just me but that looked way better in my opinion.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      09-02-2017, 01:29 AM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

OP god vibes only - Deal with Sales Manager only or from no a new dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Maybe you're too high maintenance? Just saying.
Maybe you have nothing useful to post.

Clearly you do not.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #16
linjaron
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKepan View Post
What was the difference between PCD pricing and MSRP? My dealer did not mention anything different in pricing.
For the LCI MSRP is $53,500 while PCD pricing is $50,825.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 12:53 PM   #17
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
For the LCI MSRP is $53,500 while PCD pricing is $50,825.
Huh? $50,825 is Euro Delivery MSRP.

I've never heard that PCD pricing was the same as ED - is this true?

If true, I might have chosen PCD just for the cost savings - even though I live in California!
I drove to Spartanburg from California in my Z4M coupe once - to do a 2 day M Performance Driving School thing. And for the adventure. It was a fun trip in the Z4MC. I'd certainly consider doing it in an M2 if it saved me 5% - easily pays for the gas - and I get the break-in behind me on the way home.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #18
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Huh? $50,825 is Euro Delivery MSRP.

I've never heard that PCD pricing was the same as ED - is this true?

If true, I might have chosen PCD just for the cost savings - even though I live in California!
I drove to Spartanburg from California in my Z4M coupe once - to do a 2 day M Performance Driving School thing. And for the adventure. It was a fun trip in the Z4MC. I'd certainly consider doing it in an M2 if it saved me 5% - easily pays for the gas - and I get the break-in behind me on the way home.
Not true, PCD does not come with lower price. Frankly, maybe OP is high maintenance from his "numerous" inquiries to dealer. I'll bet a Starbucks coffee that many members here are much more knowledgeable than many (most even) CA's working at the dealer. OP, post any question here and it'll answered more quickly and accurately here than your non-responsive CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #19
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Sounds like my experience with a CA at BMW San Diego, I ended up dumping them and going with BMW of Tucson but before I did I sent an email to the GM of the dealership and told him that his sales guy was not returning phone calls nor responding to emails. I got a call from the GM within seconds of sending the email apologizing and offering to do all he could to help yada yada. I told him I ended up getting a car secured through Tucson but had I had a responsive CA with his dealership I wouldn't have shopped around. Everyone has a boss and as a boss I believe it is my responsibility to let the boss know what is going on from the customers perspective. The GM was very apologetic and gave me my deposit right away, he also thanked me for the information on his guy. I am sure that CA got a earful or at least hope so.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #20
linjaron
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
Not true, PCD does not come with lower price. Frankly, maybe OP is high maintenance from his "numerous" inquiries to dealer. I'll bet a Starbucks coffee that many members here are much more knowledgeable than many (most even) CA's working at the dealer. OP, post any question here and it'll answered more quickly and accurately here than your non-responsive CA.
I don't think that my expectations were too high. The questions I asked were simply, the number I was on the wait list, if a receipt for my deposit was available or any paperwork for a record of the deposit, if it was possible to delay for a LCI, the option sheet with the options when he wanted me to spec my car, and lastly PCD availability. Keep in mind this is over the course of 1.5 years. I don't feel like this is 'high maintenance,' but rather the bare minimum for a transaction.

Thank you for the correction, I misunderstood the pricing sheet (CA assistance would have been helpful!).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #21
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

PCD was not an extra dime if I had chosen to take it. I still may do it after the fact (they say I have the option for a year).

Maybe they mean the M Driver's package? That's an extra cost option. It includes a special 1 day perf driving deal (different than PCD) and a computer tweak to move the top speed limiter up to 168 rather than 155.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #22
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like a bad CA. I know you can't schedule a PCS until the car is at VPC once it hits the US. Send a couple forms and complete your electronic service agreement and that's it. A little hard if scheduling can be conflicting but I've done it so many times with no stress
Appreciate 0