BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Delivery Timeline

08-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
mike in o.c.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M / 2018 X3 M40i

Delivery Timeline

My production end date is Sept 8. You guys on the west coast (California), based on your experience, how long should I expect it to be before the car arrives at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in o.c. View Post
My production end date is Sept 8. You guys on the west coast (California), based on your experience, how long should I expect it to be before the car arrives at the dealer?
I shared my view/experience on this over in the wk33 thread:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post22094206

Simple answer from my experience having done this a half-dozen times: 6-7 weeks from the date your car is confirmed on a boat out of Bremerhaven.

My M2 went production complete on Aug 18, and it's still at port waiting to get on a boat.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

My car finished production September 13, 2016 and I took delivery in AZ on October 21st. You can track the car while its on the ship and get a really good sense of when your car will arrive. My car arrived at port early morning on October 19th and my car was delivered in AZ about 2 the 21st. The time from factory to the boat varies, you can look at the shipping schedule at www.2wglobal.com to get a sense of what boat your car will make, there is no guarantee of course but in my case I was able to predict the boat a few weeks in advance of it actually going on the boat. There are also sites that allow you to track the ship via GPS for a small fee, given my level of OCD I did that also but really that is overkill.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
I shared my view/experience on this over in the wk33 thread:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post22094206

Simple answer from my experience having done this a half-dozen times: 6-7 weeks from the date your car is confirmed on a boat out of Bremerhaven.

My M2 went production complete on Aug 18, and it's still at port waiting to get on a boat.
Jclyde, I noticed you have the Z4 M Coupe, once you get your M2 and experience it for a while it would be cool to see how they compare. I have driven both but it was a few years apart and I didn't get much time in the M Coupe but I do get the feeling their is a little M coupe spirit in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Jclyde, I noticed you have the Z4 M Coupe, once you get your M2 and experience it for a while it would be cool to see how they compare. I have driven both but it was a few years apart and I didn't get much time in the M Coupe but I do get the feeling their is a little M coupe spirit in the M2.
Yes - I am likewise curious - but I gotta do the wait for the M2 before I'll know.

I expect the M2 to be less "raw" than the Z4M Coupe. And it also has a back seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
My car finished production September 13, 2016 and I took delivery in AZ on October 21st. You can track the car while its on the ship and get a really good sense of when your car will arrive. My car arrived at port early morning on October 19th and my car was delivered in AZ about 2 the 21st. The time from factory to the boat varies, you can look at the shipping schedule at www.2wglobal.com to get a sense of what boat your car will make, there is no guarantee of course but in my case I was able to predict the boat a few weeks in advance of it actually going on the boat. There are also sites that allow you to track the ship via GPS for a small fee, given my level of OCD I did that also but really that is overkill.
Wow - that's must be some kind of record! Oh - maybe you didn't go through the Panama canal to Port Hueneme .... at which port did your car arrive? Regardless of port, 2 days is blazingly fast from port-arrival to dealer. Last time I did it, it took over 2 weeks. And the dealer was only about 40 miles from the port.

My car is STILL not on a boat - production complete 10 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

That is very fast delivery, especially to the California VCD - but when everything goes right and there are no delays, it happens. My LCI was completed 7/7 and hit the dealer in the Midwest 8/7.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #8
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Wow - that's must be some kind of record! Oh - maybe you didn't go through the Panama canal to Port Hueneme .... at which port did your car arrive? Regardless of port, 2 days is blazingly fast from port-arrival to dealer. Last time I did it, it took over 2 weeks. And the dealer was only about 40 miles from the port.

My car is STILL not on a boat - production complete 10 days ago.
It went through the canal and was delivered to Port Hueneme, the GM at my dealer said that the port has concentrated on prioritizing customer cars and getting them through the port within 72. There were a few other guys here that were on my boat, the Socal guys got their cars about the same day as I got mine, one guy I went to 2 day M school with who was from Oregon got his about 7 days after the boat unloaded and my buddy up on Phoenix who's car was built the same day as mine and was on the same boat had his car at the dealership the day after mine got delivered but he had to wait a few extra days to get it through PDI. I am sure the delivery time is impacted by the day of the week, availability of trucks etc but things definitely worked well the week my car came in, hope it works as well for all of you guys also. I have read nightmare stories of east coast cars sitting for 2 weeks in port waiting on a truck but Huemene seems to click along nicely.
Appreciate 1