BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Granted License to Export Chinese Made Vehicles

06-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #133
jadis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3nyc View Post
My South African 340 rattles like a horse carriage. Waiting for the Chinese version; disposable cars.
My Munich built 335 has not a single rattle, 40k miles. Hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #134
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
China signed on to a non binding agreement that allows them to pollute as much as they want for the next 13 years. Not exactly a shining example of environmentalism.
On the other hand they take extreme measures like road space rationing where the one day only even numberplates are allowed to drive and the other day only uneven numberplates to reduce the air pollution.
Can you imagine such a measure in the US?!? : "no sir...you're not allowed to drive today"
Something thàt extreme will never be possible in the US, yet China is doing that for nearly 10 years now when air pollution reaches unhealthy concentrations.
A pretty shining example I think?
Obviously measures like this have a very big impact on the economy, so they try to avoid it by promoting electric cars and electrich scooters (which are really popular). Far more than in the US.

A US citizen has one of the largest carbon footprints of all people in the world. The carbon footprint of a chinese citizen is nothing compared to that (almost 250% less per person...).
And in the end that's what counts, so the US still has to come a very long way before they're in the same league as most countries in the world...
So whatever you're calling 'not a shining example of environmentalism'; is still over twice as good as what the US does if you measure actual pollution per person. Those are the facts.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-05-2017 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
backagain345.00
      06-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #135
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
On the other hand they take extreme measures like road space rationing where the one day only even numberplates are allowed to drive and the other day only uneven numberplates to reduce the air pollution.
Can you imagine such a measure in the US?!? : "no sir...you're not allowed to drive today"
Something thàt extreme will never be possible in the US, yet China is doing that for nearly 10 years now when air pollution reaches unhealthy concentrations.
Obviously measures like this have a very big impact on the economy, so they try to avoid it by promoting electric cars and electrich scooters (which are really popular). Far more than in the US.

A US citizen has one of the largest carbon footprints of all people in the world. The carbon footprint of a chinese citizen is nothing compared to that (almost 250% less per person...).
And in the end that's what counts, so the US still has to come a very long way before they're in the same league as most countries in the world...
So whatever you're calling 'not a shining example of environmentalism'; is still over twice as good as what the US does if you measure actual pollution per person. Those are the facts.
Vehicle ownership per capita: 0.797 in US vs. 0.140 in China;
Total rail passenger-miles: 6.5 billion in US vs. 725 billion in China.

Freedom in US comes at a price, and I certainly enjoy that freedom, coming from China.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #136
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Vehicle ownership per capita: 0.797 in US vs. 0.140 in China;
Total rail passenger-miles: 6.5 billion in US vs. 725 billion in China.

Freedom in US comes at a price,
The rest of the world doesnt call that freedom, but calls it wealth. Or just egocentric enviromental policy.
It has nothing to do with freedom imho.

And it does come at a price. An enviromental price.
Compared where I live (Netherlands) a US citizen also has a 60% higher carbon footprint. And we all drive cars here too. We just dont have an 8L escalade and 6L mustang parked on front. And the Netherlands isnt even a particular enviromental high ranking country compared to a lot of other western european countries. (even germany with all its heavy industry scores slightly better)

The point was that people giving off on china's enviromental policy whereas they should look at the amount of emissions the US is causing.

some interesting words:

Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-05-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #137
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Preferably not, but if the business case & the actual results are equal or better than EU & US made cars, then the possibility of acceptance will be a bitter one
      06-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #138
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Obviously you have no idea what are you talking about.
- First, some countries in east Europe did that number plate strategy over 30 years ago.
- Rivers in China are DEAD, the pollution is insane. Not in US.
- An extremely large number of Chinese people suffer from pulmonary diseases and can not breath in big cities. Not in US.
- The carbon footprint of a Chinese citizen is nothing compared to a US Citizen? Wow, some simple grade 2 thinking will reveal that dividing US pollution to US citizens will give you a huge number than dividing China's pollution to 1.37 billion Chinese. Hello?

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe...h-sapping.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#c85efc236278

And,
I WILL NEVER BUY A CHINESE CAR!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
c63er876.00
      06-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #139
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:

- First, some countries in east Europe did that number plate strategy over 30 years ago.
- An extremely large number of Chinese people suffer from pulmonary diseases and can not breath in big cities. Not in US.
- The carbon footprint of a Chinese citizen is nothing compared to a US Citizen? Wow, some simple grade 2 thinking will reveal that dividing US pollution to US citizens will give you a huge number than dividing China's pollution to 1.37 billion Chinese. Hello?

And,
The grade 2 thinking comment made me
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #140
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
....sure I dont...

Quote:
What the hell has that to do with the united states?!?
You only underline now that there are multiple countries that are willing to take more measures than the US. You just made my arguments stronger!
FYI eastern europe != united states.
Quote:
Pollution is insane in both countries... Just look at the Ohio river or the years of pollution in lake Erie
Quote:
Air pollution causes 200k deaths/year in the us
http://news.mit.edu/2013/study-air-p...in-the-us-0829
Quote:
Seems that you must go back to the 2nd grade.
its the pollution per capita that counts. Or do you think it would be reasonable if a small country like monaco would pollute just as much as a country like china?
The pollution per capita is a very common accepted measurement of how much pollution is reasonable per country or area, especially if its about co2 emissions, where its the total summe of it that has the effect and localized effects are almost nil. (And this discussion started about the signed non binding agreement from china, and that is an agreement about CO2 emissions).
By your logic it would be perfectly fine if I would pollute 20 times as much as you do because my country only has 16 million inhabitants...
I'm amaized that you dont get that (or rather on this forum I'm not amaized at anything anymore..)

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-05-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #141
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

They take extreme measures like you referenced above because their environment is toxic and they have no choice. That doesn't by any measure make them 'green'. It simply makes them reactionary. The fact is China is currently responsible for 30% of global emissions versus the U.S.'s 14% yet this hollow agreement gives China among others a 13 year pass. Good riddance
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #142
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
The fact is China is currently responsible for 30% of global emissions versus the U.S.'s 14% yet this hollow agreement gives China among others a 13 year pass. Good riddance
Those numbers are from the EDGAR database and dont include all co2 emissions (land use emissions)

Anyway, its the co2 emission per capita that counts. And in that scope the US scores really really bad. All major western european countries score better, and so does china.
You dont seem to be bothered that you (you're canadian?) use almost twice more fossil energy as an average chinese dude, and still you judge him on that. How typical....
I imagine you as a fat bloke telling a skinny bloke to eat less, so you can eat more.

Last edited by GuidoK; 06-05-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #143
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
It took US cities like LA over 50 years to control the air pollution problem. The 1948 LA photo looks just like the how Beijing is today.

Given time, there is hope for China down the road to have as clean air as US.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #144
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Those numbers are from the EDGAR database and dont include all co2 emissions (land use emissions)

Anyway, its the co2 emission per capita that counts. And in that scope the US scores really really bad. All major western european countries score better, and so does china.
You dont seem to be bothered that you (you're canadian?) use almost twice more fossil energy as an average chinese dude, and still you judge him on that. How typical....
I imagine you as a fat bloke telling a skinny bloke to eat less, so you can eat more.
Your main focus seems to be the fairness of the situation (per capita emissions etc). The fact that the Paris Accord is really a wealth redistribution scheme targeting the U.S. first and foremost in favor of developing nations is probably ok with you? Nice in theory but a pretty naive way of thinking in the real world. If the roles were reversed do you really think the communist Chinese government would handicap its own economy in favor of other nations? If you do you're living in a Euro fantasy land.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2709.00
      06-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #145
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
The fact that the Paris Accord is really a wealth redistribution scheme targeting the U.S. first and foremost in favor of developing nations is probably ok with you?
Those are your words.
Again, you're the fat bloke telling the skinny bloke not to eat so much so you can eat more.
And it shows in all your words. Afraid that you cant supersize another meal.

And yes, I think its more fair to restrict people who emit more co2 than people who emit less co2.
In europe we also are willing to take measurements that can potentially harm our economy, or at least cost money to try and secure a better climate for our children and the US is -how surprising- only thinking about themselves.
Luckily the california governor is willing to do something about Trumps selfish attitude.
China is even investing more budget (almost 50% more) into reasearch and development of clean energy than the US (the largest economy in the world).
Thats also a sign that the US is willing to do hardly anything. Even compared to the chinese that already consume 250% less fossil energy per person.
Basically you're telling a chinese guy he cant have a car while you have 3 V8's on your driveway. Way to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #146
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Those are your words.
Again, you're the fat bloke telling the skinny bloke not to eat so much so you can eat more.
And it shows in all your words. Afraid that you cant supersize another meal.

And yes, I think its more fair to restrict people who emit more co2 than people who emit less co2.
In europe we also are willing to take measurements that can potentially harm our economy, or at least cost money to try and secure a better climate for our children and the US is -how surprising- only thinking about themselves.
Luckily the california governor is willing to do something about Trumps selfish attitude.
China is even investing more budget (almost 50% more) into reasearch and development of clean energy than the US (the largest economy in the world).
Thats also a sign that the US is willing to do hardly anything. Even compared to the chinese that already consume 250% less fossil energy per person.
Basically you're telling a chinese guy he cant have a car while you have 3 V8's on your driveway. Way to go.
Luckily the President of the United States does not share your naive worldview. Buckle up it going to be a long 7.5 years hahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #147
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Luckily the President of the United States does not share your naive worldview. Buckle up it going to be a long 7.5 years hahaha
No indeed, I share my worldview with the rest of the world.
And your largest state is already not agreeing with your president.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #148
c63er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Something thÃ*t extreme will never be possible in the US, yet China is doing that for nearly 10 years now when air pollution reaches unhealthy concentrations.

And,
Thank you for this. I'm shocked to see someone in here with an education. I congratulate you for speaking truth too all these idiots.

Thank you for posting up about particulate matter which is probably the single most damaging thing to our long term health right now in regards to air pollution.

Particulate matter is a major problem in many major cities around the world but whatever you think of the us, we pale in comparison to many large cities in the world. We aren't in the top 10 at all.

If you care about saving actual human lives and not just pretending to care about "the environment" then we need to tackle this problem, which in multi factorial and surely way above most of your heads.
      06-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #149
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Your main focus seems to be the fairness of the situation (per capita emissions etc). The fact that the Paris Accord is really a wealth redistribution scheme targeting the U.S. first and foremost in favor of developing nations is probably ok with you? Nice in theory but a pretty naive way of thinking in the real world. If the roles were reversed do you really think the communist Chinese government would handicap its own economy in favor of other nations? If you do you're living in a Euro fantasy land.
I think the guy does not see or does not want to see the nuances that we are pointing out. In plus, he seems to be fixated on a main issue only without knowing that even his own point is weak; several approaches used to calculate GHG (extraction, production, consumption) are very inaccurate due to global import-export imbalances for fossil fuels, products/goods. I also see a socialist (communist) point of view in his comments and that was enough fro me; I do believe in fairness but I strongly support individual prosperity based on individual efforts. Save your breath
Appreciate 1
Eriphill2563.50
      06-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #150
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
I think the guy does not see or does not want to see the nuances that we are pointing out. In plus, he seems to be fixated on a main issue only without knowing that even his own point is weak; several approaches used to calculate GHG (extraction, production, consumption) are very inaccurate due to global import-export imbalances for fossil fuels, products/goods. I also see a socialist (communist) point of view in his comments and that was enough fro me; I do believe in fairness but I strongly support individual prosperity based on individual efforts. Save your breath

Too bad you dont see that criticizing another country that didnt agree to the paris climate convention is rather odd if you yourself also didnt agree but at the same time produce 250% more co2 per person...
Of course there are different way's to calculate that number but do you really think it'll tip the balance in that 250% difference?!?
Like I said, you're also that fat kid telling the skinny kid not to eat so much so you can have more...very much afraid that you cant supersize your next meal.

If that makes me a communist. fine. At least it doesnt make me a hypocrite.
Apparently you then also have a communist governor in california..
And Arnold Schwarzenegger is apparently also a communist.
Your words, not mine.
Appreciate 0