BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Granted License to Export Chinese Made Vehicles

06-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #89
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

I won't buy one, I'll vote with my wallet. I specifically requested an allocation from Germany for my 340.
      06-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #90
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Let's map out the reality of what's happening here and the likely path for the next 20 years

These cars initially exported to Africa. Mistakes keep getting ironed out.

Then export to Mid East. More mistakes ironed out.

Then Eastern Europe. Then the subtle campaign begins to tell us how these cars are just as reliable or even more so.

Meanwhile the managers and vps for these markets keep getting promoted because well they are simply more profitable then everyone else.

To extend profits these cars get into Western Europe and the us.

At that point the assembly plants in Europe are simply not competitive so they have to be scaled back and shuttered.

10 years later the German average Joe are hurting from the economic downturn of loss of manufacturing and jobs.

They blame the Turks for taking their jobs sweeping floors. Governments change hands, etc.

The disrupter here is going to be robotics. That is what's really going to the interesting twist for better or for worse.
      06-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #91
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I won't buy one, I'll vote with my wallet. I specifically requested an allocation from Germany for my 340.
+1 totally agree with you, If its not made in Germany I don't want any part of it.
I'm paying well north of $80k for a chinese car no way thats ever happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #92
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
I am so sick people bringing up Trump.

Is there something else you can rent space in your head about?

Maybe not.

Save your breath. It is not worth it.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      06-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #93
AFA
Rep
Drives: 2018 530xe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFA View Post
Too bad. The fact is when your leader makes racists, misogynist, prejudiced comments, that affects how people behave. Americans are overtly proud and vocal of their racism now and do not feel the shame that they would have a year ago. Most of racist comments about Chinese on this thread are from Americans. You don't want people commenting on Trump and the effect it has had on every aspect of the American people's behavior and conduct? Then you shouldn't have voted for a racist and made him your President.

Incidentally, it is of note to see that Trump's attack on speech and press has also affected people like you. Not only you feel obliged to tell people what to say and what not to say, you also tell people what to "think" in their "heads". Hahaha. Even he hasn't gone that far.
You're a moron. Don't classify an entire country of people based on one person.

P.S. the most openly racist people I've ever encountered have been of Asian descent. I lived in China, I know how fucking backwards and racist those people really are.
Quote:

P.S. the most openly racist people I've ever encountered have been of Asian descent. I lived in China, I know how fucking backwards and racist those people really are.
I rest my case!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #94
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

The origin point of final assembly doesn't really matter as long as it's built to specification. Look at the 3 series built in Germany versus SA. They don't have 2 different standards where SA cars are built to the lower one. Same will apply for China, Mexico, etc. You're only kidding yourself if you think the cars in Germany are built by a bunch of guys/gals in white lab coats using the utmost care and precision.

The debate that we should be having is the kind of car that will come over here. Specifically that mutant FWD BMW. That.... should never reach our shores.
Appreciate 1
yousefnjr6154.50
      06-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #95
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Call me silly but I'd want my German cars to be built in Germany. China? NFW!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      06-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #96
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
The origin point of final assembly doesn't really matter as long as it's built to specification. Look at the 3 series built in Germany versus SA. They don't have 2 different standards where SA cars are built to the lower one. Same will apply for China, Mexico, etc. You're only kidding yourself if you think the cars in Germany are built by a bunch of guys/gals in white lab coats using the utmost care and precision.

The debate that we should be having is the kind of car that will come over here. Specifically that mutant FWD BMW. That.... should never reach our shores.
Actually the guys and gals in the Munich factory are in blue one pieces.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #97
bclemans
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M3 Competition

Chinese also demand high quality vehicles.

China is now the 2nd largest economy in the world. The size of its middle class has surpassed the U.S. China is the biggest consumer of fine red wine than any country in the world too.

Chinese will be dismayed if BMW is pushing out a sub-par 1 Series that only meets the 'lower standard' of Chinese buyers and not good enough for the rest of the world. As Apple has found out, Chinese don't want a 'me too' iPhone with its standard US apps but something tailored to the Chinese in the same high level of sophistication.

There are alternatives in the segment such as the Audi A3 / S3 / RS3

Whether it is quality issue, perceived quality issue..., BMW better get its act together.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #98
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

China has been great for the BMW brand.

First, our favorite cars become watered down and numb to appease to the badge whores there, and now we get to have our cars assembled there too.

Love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #99
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
The number of proud racists on this threat is really telling and very sad.

Racist openly discuss how they won't buy Chinese products!

I am guessing most are Americans that have succumbed to the Trump effect.

Their fathers probably were just as adamant and proud not to buy things made by blacks.

Why not wait for the cars and see how the quality is before making decisions and remarks. I have had 4 Volvos over the years and Chinese one is just as good as the ones made in Sweden if not better.
Snowflake spotted in June.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #100
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Via Automotive News

May 31, 2017

SHENYANG, China -- BMW Group has been granted a license by Chinese authorities to export vehicles manufactured by its local joint venture BMW Brilliance, opening up the possibility of China-built BMWs being sold to customers in Europe or the U.S.

German premium automakers have steadily expanded production in China at their joint ventures with local companies but plans to export vehicles so far have not been on the agenda, in part because cars from China have a poor reputation for safety and reliability in Western markets.

BMW now believes the quality of cars produced in China has reached the level of those built in Germany or the U.S.

"We have an export license for the JV but so far we haven't decided on exports since we need the production for the local market," said Olaf Kastner, head of BMW in China.

BMW built just over 300,000 vehicles last year at its two Chinese factories in Dadong and Tiexi, located 700 km (435 miles) east of Beijing on the outskirts of Shenyang near the North Korean border.

Volumes have more than doubled since 2012, as the company added compact models such as the 2-series Active Tourer minivan and X1 SUV to production of 3- and 5-series sedans.

BMW Brilliance's capacity in both plants has just been increased to 450,000 cars annually with an expansion of the Dadong factory.

Next year a sixth model, the X3, will begin running off the lines in Dadong, making it the third assembly plant where the SUV is built alongside lead plant Spartanburg in the U.S. and in BMW’s factory in Rosslyn, South Africa.

Perhaps one model that may make most sense to export is the 1-series compact sedan, which is built in Tiexi and currently only sold in China. Given the country is the world’s largest market for full-electric vehicles, these could also be an option, especially since construction is underway to include high-voltage battery manufacturing in the joint venture's powertrain plant, BMW's only engine factory outside of Europe.

For the moment, however, BMW says is has no plans since "everything is still being absorbed” locally, Kastner said.

When asked why BMW spent 12 months acquiring the license, if it has no plans to export from China, a source who declined to be named because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter said politicians had pushed and prodded the automaker into applying for one.

"It's the government's declared goal to foster vehicle exports. We told them we would only consider it if it makes economic sense," the source said.

Volvo is the first premium automaker to export China-built cars to Europe and the U.S. The company has exported its S60 to the U.S. from Daqing since 2015. It began exports of its S90 flagship sedan to Europe from Daqing this month.

In the past Honda exported China-built Jazz models to Europe.
Don't fck with my bimmer. I ain't spend $70k on a 7-series made in China. Ain't happen to me. Before BMW make that decision on 7er, I'm moving to Tesla S.
      06-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #101
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
People just want to bitch about everything. Same equipment and training, u think Chinese workers are worse than South Africans? Lazy Americans?
Yes they are. It's not about the skills, but mentality!
      06-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #102
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Would hate to see how unreliable our Beloved BMW's will be now
Or maybe the Chinese can fix the reliability issues that plague the fine craftsmanship of the Germans
Either way BMW among others continue to build sh!tt!er and Sh!tt!er cars IMO.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #103
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Quote:
Too bad. The fact is when your leader makes racists, misogynist, prejudiced comments, that affects how people behave. Americans are overtly proud and vocal of their racism now and do not feel the shame that they would have a year ago. Most of racist comments about Chinese on this thread are from Americans. You don't want people commenting on Trump and the effect it has had on every aspect of the American people's behavior and conduct? Then you shouldn't have voted for a racist and made him your President.

Incidentally, it is of note to see that Trump's attack on speech and press has also affected people like you. Not only you feel obliged to tell people what to say and what not to say, you also tell people what to "think" in their "heads". Hahaha. Even he hasn't gone that far.

They can be openly racist in their own country completely in comfort because it's a very homogeneous society and with no actual exposure to other cultures, becoming tolerant can only happen by truth of direct contact of outsiders.
Western people hide their racism mostly for fear of being called out by groups that would be offended and retaliate(hence the need to post online in anonymity)
But thankfully many have seen the truth that people are people beneath the labels if both cultures can see past surface differences.
And society will be much better once all people realize this.
Appreciate 1
aozer994.50
      06-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #104
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytexter View Post
Yes, some Chinese auto companies lacks experience will make less quality cars. But this is BMW. U think same training, material and equipment, Chinese workers are dumber than South Africans? Americans(for x suv)? Did u see reports that Chinese made BMW fails regularly? Much worse than South African counterparts? Have you tried living with one? What is you source for Chinese built BMW will fail worse than Other factories? Or is this jus your imagination and stereotyping? Please research before you trash talking someone or something. Do you think BMW is dumb enough to open factories in China and export now if quality is not on par?
When I buy a BMW I want it to be made in Germany where there is a tradition of building quality vehicles. China rightly or wrongly has an image of building cheap crap plus I'd rather my car not be made with slave labor. Maybe they can install suicide nets on the new BMW factory just like Foxconn did at the iPhone factory.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      06-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #105
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

Their fathers probably were just as adamant and proud not to buy things made by blacks.

Why not wait for the cars and see how the quality is before making decisions and remarks. I have had 4 Volvos over the years and Chinese one is just as good as the ones made in Sweden if not better.
Snowflake spotted in June.
snowflakes are out in droves as of late
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #106
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
snowflakes are out in droves as of late
Facebook is their Winter Wonderland.

Let me repeat the same thing time and time again.
A BMW is developed and designed in Germany, it's manufacturing and production is developed in Germany.

It's quality assurance level is conceived in Germany.
Whether the vehicle is assembled in the USA,South Africa or China amongst other global facilities. They are all assembled to manufacturing and quality controls that were developed in Germany.
      06-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #107
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Is Chinese a race?
      06-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #108
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
No no and no, please, no China-built BMWs in Europe!
C'mon, China's built is not all that bad. Ze German surely appointed some highly trained technician to supervise the whole process.

Same goes to Malaysia, most of our core BmW products are being assembled locally but quality i can assure it is not far behind Euro CBU unit.
      06-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #109
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Quote:

Is Chinese a race?
Yes Chinese is a race and it is everywhere. US has the most numbers of Overseas Chinese after Malaysia where I am from. Chinese created first paper money so that u guys can have notes instead of syilings. Chinese created gun powder so that u whites can kill ur enemy with it, and Chinese created compass so that u can find ur way bak home when u are drunk.
      06-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #110
MSups6
Banned
Rep
Drives: Supra, Former Msport 435

Foolish on their part.

My old mazda was a tank, mx6 mediocre.
Is300 still running, Rx long gone as issues rose their ugly head.
Supra build by freaking angelic beings.

Its market wide that those manufactured in their nation of origin tend to be better build.
Appreciate 0