BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Granted License to Export Chinese Made Vehicles

05-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #45
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
How is this news? China has been producing their own BMW X5 for years!!
On stamped steel wheels.

For export: #Fail
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #46
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
On stamped steel wheels.

It was tongue and cheek. That car i posted was a blatant copy by a Chinese manufacturer. Bmw actually lost the court case against them

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:13 PM   #47
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was tongue and cheek. That car i posted was a blatant copy by a Chinese manufacturer. Bmw actually lost the court case against them
Yep. Added a to that to reflect the measure.
Appreciate 1
Naz241627.50
      05-31-2017, 03:14 PM   #48
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On stamped steel wheels.

You won't win a "court" case in China against China. It's a complete and utter joke.

China has always copied the west for everything despite hating "western" influence. I hate China for a reason. Their entire philosophy is backwards. It has been like this and always will be until their old generation dies off.
Jason40310.50
      05-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #49
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
You won't win a "court" case in China against China. It's a complete and utter joke.

China has always copied the west for everything despite hating "western" influence. I hate China for a reason. Their entire philosophy is backwards. It has been like this and always will be until their old generation dies off.
Actually, that's not true: It will be like that for generations to come because the concept of 'intellectual property' and protecting original ideas and designs is foreign to its cultural beliefs. The Chinese language doesn't even have a word close to that meaning in it. This is a mindset formed over thousands of years. It ain't gonna change (relatively) overnight.

To most Indochinese (this includes most of China and much of the Indochinese peninsula, including Vietnam, Burma, and Laos), copying something designed and made somewhere else is a societal norm. It's the same reason why most dynastic Chinese art is unsigned -- and if it is signed, it chiefly reflects the person who commissioned it, not the person who created it.

But really, I digress since I'm having to defend the ignorance of others (I don't mean that in a bad way. Really.) There's just no current compelling reason to favor a PRC-made vehicle -- not even cost.

Last edited by Viffermike; 05-31-2017 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #50
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Meh. Talk to the service people and mechanics working on these cars and they'll tell you most of the components in your car are already made in China. Or go to an OEM part number search website and look for yourself. It's just a matter of who assembles it. Personally I don't think it matters if its a Mexican or a South African or a Chinese putting the car together, to them it's a very specific and repetitive few steps will little skills involved.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #51
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

I work in the automotive industry and I have to say not all parts coming out of china is garbage. Some of the simple stuff, they do make it well. It's when it comes to complex circuits and can-bus stuff they can't do it properly. They certainly can't reverse engineer and work around patents.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #52
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Actually, that's not true: It will be like that for generations to come because the concept of 'intellectual property' and protecting original ideas and designs is foreign to its cultural beliefs. The Chinese language doesn't even have a word close to that meaning in it. This is a mindset formed over thousands of years. It ain't gonna change (relatively) overnight.

To most Indochinese (this includes most of China and much of the Indochinese peninsula, including Vietnam, Burma, and Laos), copying something designed and made somewhere else is a societal norm. It's the same reason why most dynastic Chinese art is unsigned -- and if it is signed, it chiefly reflects the person who commissioned it, not the person who created it.

But really, I digress since I'm having to defend the ignorance of others (I don't mean that in a bad way. Really.) There's just no current compelling reason to favor a PRC-made vehicle -- not even cost.
Interesting..

Do you think the west would respect IP if it wasn't backed up by the law?

Bollocks would they. It's why the IP industry exists.

It's the attorney's that stop you getting ripped off, not cultural norms.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #53
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Meh. Talk to the service people and mechanics working on these cars and they'll tell you most of the components in your car are already made in China. Or go to an OEM part number search website and look for yourself. It's just a matter of who assembles it. Personally I don't think it matters if its a Mexican or a South African or a Chinese putting the car together, to them it's a very specific and repetitive few steps will little skills involved.
Not true. With the exception of VW/audi, bmw and Mbenz still uses European tier 1 suppliers.

Most mechanics these days use aftermarket parts which majority do come from china.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #54
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
No no and no, please, no China-built BMWs in Europe!
And watch you looking at that Volvo S60, ahem BMW 1 series, and saying "You know it does kinda look good. Maybe..."
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #55
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Chinese built BMW reminds me of the "Autobahn Edition" VW GTI that is "Made in Mexico"

Would I buy one?

Not bloody likely to even look at one unless the price were in the same ball park as hyundai

IIRC those chinese made Volvo's are also experiencing major engine issues consistent with lots of "Chineseium" products
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #56
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

can i buy one on ebay for 99cents including shipping
Appreciate 1
ah3nyc117.50
      05-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #57
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Loved my old T5 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Chinese built BMW reminds me of the "Autobahn Edition" VW GTI that is "Made in Mexico"

Would I buy one?

Not bloody likely to even look at one unless the price were in the same ball park as hyundai

IIRC those chinese made Volvo's are also experiencing major engine issues consistent with lots of "Chineseium" products
Volvo died a long time ago.

Never again would I buy another one.
Appreciate 1
fbsm743.00
      05-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #58
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
This will be interesting to watch - perhaps BMW will only sell the Chinese-made vehicles in the APAC region, at least to begin with (and to assist with their growth strategy in that part of the world).

This is one of those circumstances where perception = reality (especially if the products are actually less reliable than their Western counterparts).

One of the main attractions (for me) to a German car maker is the attention to detail and overall craftsmanship of the thing. Have you shut the door of a Kia, and then a German car? There's a noticeable difference...that's the kind of thing that will take a long time to overcome.

I can't imagine buying a car built in China...
      05-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #59
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
This will be interesting to watch - perhaps BMW will only sell the Chinese-made vehicles in the APAC region, at least to begin with (and to assist with their growth strategy in that part of the world).

This is one of those circumstances where perception = reality (especially if the products are actually less reliable than their Western counterparts).

One of the main attractions (for me) to a German car maker is the attention to detail and overall craftsmanship of the thing. Have you shut the door of a Kia, and then a German car? There's a noticeable difference...that's the kind of thing that will take a long time to overcome.

I can't imagine buying a car built in China...
That Kia probably is more reliable than said "German car", unless it's a Porsche. Now is that "attention to detail" and "craftsmanship"?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #60
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
That Kia probably is more reliable than said "German car", unless it's a Porsche. Now is that "attention to detail" and "craftsmanship"?
I should have been more clear - I wasn't saying anything negative about the Kia, just that there are certain areas where say a BMW or Porsche (I've had both) would feel more solid and well made.

Is that the case in reality? Perhaps not - but that's why I mentioned that perception is reality. For example, I have a friend who calls their Kia "the coke can" because it doesn't feel as solid in those subjective ways.

Does that make sense? I was just trying to draw a comparison on the perception aspect of the build quality and whatnot.
      05-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #61
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3nyc View Post
My South African 340 rattles like a horse carriage. Waiting for the Chinese version; disposable cars.
That's surprising since Rosslyn is one of the most highest rated plants for zero defects in the production network. That is why they won the X3.
      05-31-2017, 05:11 PM   #62
AFA
Rep
Drives: 2018 530xe

A little racism anyone?

The number of proud racists on this threat is really telling and very sad.

Racist openly discuss how they won't buy Chinese products!

I am guessing most are Americans that have succumbed to the Trump effect.

Their fathers probably were just as adamant and proud not to buy things made by blacks.

Why not wait for the cars and see how the quality is before making decisions and remarks. I have had 4 Volvos over the years and Chinese one is just as good as the ones made in Sweden if not better.

Last edited by AFA; 05-31-2017 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
ecf34304.00
      05-31-2017, 05:11 PM   #63
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Dude, you're not reading what I wrote. There is no precedent for high-quality heavy manufactured goods from China in any major Western market. Why? The quality is not up to Western standards.
No?
A customer of mine, who is one of the world leaders on large scale hydraulics (I'm not talking about hydraulics on an excavator, but 60 meter long rams on $5 billion oil drillin ships etc; very very expensive equipment, they are from origin a dutch company (parental holding is german since a decade or 2 I think).
Guess where they also have production plants...
China, India...
If you dont think large high quality stuff is made in china, you've not been there
Thing is, all design, quality control, expertise is controlled by westerners.
They make stuff all over the world because those drilling ships (and other products) are also build in those parts.
Shipbuilding is rapidly moving from south korea to china.
2 of the largest shipyard/manufactureres are chinese ones. There are 2 japanese ones in the top 10 and the rest is south korean.
NONE is US based. NONE is european based.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #64
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Chinese BMW I don't know what's worse that or a Mexican BMW. It's a perception thing and right or wrong the perception is products coming from certain countries are of lesser quality. I'm sure I'll get flamed but I wouldn't buy an "American" BMW either. If the wifey and I can't do Euro Delivery then it's a no go.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:39 PM   #65
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Interesting..

Do you think the west would respect IP if it wasn't backed up by the law?

Bollocks would they. It's why the IP industry exists.

It's the attorney's that stop you getting ripped off, not cultural norms.
Because attorneys are a Western convention. And so is IP.

I understand that it's not easy for anyone foreign to the Indochinese mindset to understand it. And I'm not defending it. I'm expressing and acknowledging that it exists, and that it's the basis for a large chunk of the trouble Western industry and commerce has with such issues as trade imbalance, patent law, and product standards in parts of Asia. Not just China.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #66
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

That doesn't ignore the fact that China has blatantly copied multiple Western cars including Jaguar and other cars.

Don't get me wrong. This is usually the leader's problem not a citizen problem. I hate the Chinese government.

I'm also Taiwanese so I hate the Chinese government and their bullshit in general. I have a reason to hate China.
Viffermike1753.00