BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ♛ OFFICIAL ♛ HEX Tuning BMW ///M2 ECU Software Release

Closed Thread

04-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #45
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I like it m2 being treated differently and changes being made where there is room to improve.

Now if you don't mind I coming back with more questions on your OTS stage two tune:
1) Boost in the mid range and up top?
Boost on these cars is controlled by requested load.
What that means is that it's not a static value and will vary based on conditions.

For Stage ONE you will see 1.2bar at peak, tapering to 1.05bar.
For Stage TWO you will see 1.3bar at peak, tapering to 1.1bar.

2) Is DCT shifting strategy changed? If not, can you do that?
Shifting at 6500rpm would be the best for accelaration with a tune that cranks up boost
early on like yours at least from the dyno posted. Even on stock tune, m2 is proven to be
quicker with earlier shifts by our mutiple real world tests. Unfortunitely DCT likes
upshifting above 7000rpm at WOT.

The ECU software calibrations do not create any significant change in shift points.
There is correlation between the ECU and TCU which means that the torque levels
are properly communicated to the TCU, but the TCU itself it what controls shifting.
(we do not yet offer a TCU upgrade for the N55/DCT cars)

That being said, you are absolutely correct in the fact that these cars are quicker
when short shifting. For that purpose it's quite easy, and offers much more driver
control, to just grab the paddles and shift the car manually.

3) Does m2 stock burble remain intact or is it changed to GTS style?
We do increase the amount of overrun for the M2 with our software.
Keep in mind that not all of the "burble" on these N55 cars is related to the
overrun strategy. Much of it (especially on cars with aftermarket exhausts) comes
from the change in exhaust gas velocity which also produces similar "crackles" and
"pops".

I'll try to post up a video soon that is M2 specific, but here is an M235i which will be
very similar.

4) What's the AFR above 5500rpm? Concern is the stress on stock weak HPFP.

This is typically not information that we post publicly, but we also understand the
concern people seem to have over the fuel pump.

Stage TWO is calibrated to target .83 Lambda and will taper to around .81 by redline.
Based on all of our in-house dyno and on-road testing/data-logging, we are quite
comfortable with the fueling conditions for these cars at our boost and power levels.

If you look at the dyno plots we are not making gob loads of power up top where the
turbos and fuel system are over worked. We are though making generous low end
and mid-range power where we feel it's useful.

5) Does the catalyst heating circle on startup remain intact or is it removed like BM3?
We do not eliminate or turn off any emissions control functions with any of our
F-Series ECU Software.

6) I am assuming your tune is customizeable? What is the additional cost for a custom update on top of OTS?
Our tunes are actually not customizable.
We put a great deal of time, effort, energy, and resources into all of our software
development. The goal is to provide a pre-engineered - turn key software solution
that is optimized as Stage ONE or Stage TWO to be used with popular
hardware modifications.

The key word here is "optimize" versus "maximize". While there may still be room for
improvement with custom tuning to "maximize" your peak power, (albeit not as easily
accomplished as some would like to make it seem
) the concept of "optimization" still
allows for some headroom based on conditional variations such as climate, fuel
quality, intended use, vehicle mileage, etc...

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #46
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2s63tu View Post
+1
These questions and also...
1) Nobody uses Uncorrected on bmw rather n55, can you please provide SAE or STD correction factor.
Plenty of people use Uncorrected dyno plots; the problem is that plenty of people also use
whichever correction factor is most advantageous for demonstrating the highest peak numbers.

All of the dyno plots that we post which display "before and after" results are always performed
on the same exact vehicle, with the same fuel quality, and from the same dyno. This means
that the Uncorrected numbers will offer the best representation of the change in power (also
known as delta) between the Stock and Tuned runs.
(all of this is assuming that the climate conditions did not dramatically change between
each session to a greater degree than the ECU can adapt for
)

This puts the emphasis on the gains that are achieved with our various Stage Levels, and not on
the peak numbers which will vary by a greater degree from one vehicle or dyno session to the
next.

2) Where is the baseline of same day with DP, since you posted UNCORRECTED CF?
Same car, same fuel quality, same dyno = same baseline should be adequate.

The only change was in the addition of downpipes and our Stage TWO software, which is exactly
what that dyno plot is meant to represent.

3) Can we know if this car is DCT or 6mt, and what gear was the dyno?
DCT - 5th Gear
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:14 AM   #47
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

PM price for stage 1 please. I'm local to you guys so would have you do the install.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #48
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Here we go:

Stage 2 HEX Tune, Fabspeed Catted DP, Wagner Evo 1 Comp FMIC.

What a difference! Had the simple Dinan sport tune on Race mode previously. While it made good low end torque the thing was a bit of a disappointment up top. Jerky acceleration, didnt feel OEM by any stretch. Flash forward (you see what I did there) to Ben and Rogue Engineering setting me up Monday.

Bens worked on my M cars going on 15yrs, first with my LTW way back when. Theres nothing to say but that they are the best BMW shop in my immediate area and surly well beyond. Easy install and now I have a dongle so can now switch or update maps as I please.

From a driving perspective, things feel VERY stock. Finally the HP gains up top are really there. It builds very nicely to 6K+ then flattens out to redline just as the graph shows. Its a monster down low too. In sport + the TC is now very intrusive. To get a real feel for the power you need to go into DSC off. The full unbridled power comes through and the chassis really moves around now. Its gone from perfectly balanced to perfectly entertaining.......

Great product at a great price point. Will try to get a dyno going of my own with this setup shortly.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 3
velociti181.50
BAN_M2C4153.00
      05-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #49
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
Here we go:

What a difference! Had the simple Dinan sport tune on Race mode previously. While it made good low end torque the thing was a bit of a disappointment up top. Jerky acceleration, didnt feel OEM by any stretch. Flash forward (you see what I did there) to Ben and Rogue Engineering setting me up Monday.

Bens worked on my M cars going on 15yrs, first with my LTW way back when. Theres nothing to say but that they are the best BMW shop in my immediate area and surly well beyond. Easy install and now I have a dongle so can now switch or update maps as I please.

From a driving perspective, things feel VERY stock. Finally the HP gains up top are really there. It builds very nicely to 6K+ then flattens out to redline just as the graph shows. Its a monster down low too. In sport + the TC is now very intrusive. To get a real feel for the power you need to go into DSC off. The full unbridled power comes through and the chassis really moves around now. Its gone from perfectly balanced to perfectly entertaining.......

Great product at a great price point. Will try to get a dyno going of my own with this setup shortly.

Thanks guys!
Can't wait to see ! Hit up @AIMPerformanceNJ on IG or ☎️ 908-505-AIM4
They have 2WD Dynojet, my friends were there yesterday, dyno reads proper compared to other un-calibrated dynojet in the area.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 3
      05-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #50
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Good info, thanks. I'm in NJ and was considering going this route as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #51
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The tune is the real deal for the M2. Very satisfied finally. Thanks VF.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #52
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Would love to a dyno, RPM2-85!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #53
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Weren't you HUGELY advocating for the Sport tuner for the last few months? I believe you said it was the perfect setup. Now it's a disappointment?

Quote:
Here we go:

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #54
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Weren't you HUGELY advocating for the Sport tuner for the last few months? I believe you said it was the perfect setup. Now it's a disappointment?
Comparatively, no doubt.

For the cheapness of the sport tune, coupled with the amount of low end torque it makes and the fact you dont need to unlock the ECU made it a perfect setup for what I was looking for.

I took the next step and the full tune is just head and shoulders above the last setup. Now there is real top end power too. Much stronger.

I still loved my other setup, but it didn't feel like this.
Appreciate 1
LBBDrew336.00
      05-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #55
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Can anyone say which tune is better? BOOT or HEX. I will am currently running eventuri intake, Akra DP, Akra exhaust. Waiting to go on the car is Evo comp FMIC, diverter valve+, charge pipe and boost pipe, and inlet pipe. I have the bootmod bought but not installed
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #56
DragonGate
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 15' X5M & 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
Can anyone say which tune is better? BOOT or HEX. I will am currently running eventuri intake, Akra DP, Akra exhaust. Waiting to go on the car is Evo comp FMIC, diverter valve+, charge pipe and boost pipe, and inlet pipe. I have the bootmod bought but not installed
Waiting on RPM2-85 to Dyno, since he's in our area.

I've seen a couple of other BM3/M2 dynos/cars; so far they have the upper hand in my vote.
FSociety3810.00
      05-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #57
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2s63tu View Post
Waiting on RPM2-85 to Dyno, since he's in our area.

I've seen a couple of other BM3/M2 dynos/cars; so far they have the upper hand in my vote.

Hex has the upper hand?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #58
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm away for the week and will try to find some dyno time in the coming months if I'm being honest on timing.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:14 PM   #59
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
Hex has the upper hand?

We like to think we do!
Especially when it comes to turn-key performance with standard pump fuel.

Just keep in mind that power output on the dyno is merely one aspect of performance
testing. In this industry it's not uncommon to see people post what are known as "glory
numbers", which are the best possible numbers produced under exacting conditions,
with every trick in the book to increase the peak results.

That's not meant to single any one out, but more so to explain that we pride ourselves
on the fact that our power figures are not only achievable and repeatable by our
customers, but also deliver in the real world, both reliably and consistently.

The M2 in particular is not an easy car to achieve consistent gains with, particularly
due to the less than adequate fueling and intercooling when pursuing more power.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #60
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Quote:
I'm away for the week and will try to find some dyno time in the coming months if I'm being honest on timing.
cant wait till your dyno, next mod Bigger intercooler

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #61
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
cant wait till your dyno, next mod Bigger intercooler
I have a the Wagner Evo Comp 1. Seems perfect no heat soak issues at all thus far.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #62
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

I really wish VF would develop a tune supporting all the bolt-ons as well as a larger turbo. AFAIK, there are only 2 "big turbo" options for the M2 at this point: Dinan & Pure. It would be extra cool if VF developed their own big turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #63
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Well, I've still got a few years before the BMW warranty expires. I'm pretty confident that some better turbo options will appear in that time. Who knows, VF might actually develop something by then. I had VF's supercharger kit & tune on my e36, and it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing their hex-tune dyno numbers, and hearing more feedback from their M2 customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #64
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep

We will be looking into supporting "modified" turbo applications in the near future.

The timeline is not quick or easily predictable, and for reference purposes, we are
just now on the verge of final testing for our S55 modified turbo application.

We always start out by making sure that our stock turbo software is completely
dialed, and that we have full control over all of the necessary DME tables/functions
before moving on to non-OEM hardware. That gives is the best chance to identify
and strategize with how to deal with shortcomings such as fuel system limitations,
which is already a known weakness for this application.

From there our goal is to push for a completely turn-key application where 3rd party
piggy-backs are not necessary. Where there may be plenty of higher advertised
applications available using alternative fueling and/or stacking software solutions,
we will look to offer a bolt-on package with respectable power gains fully controlled
by the factory ECU.

Last edited by VF-Engineering; 05-16-2017 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #65
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep

Side note, our HEX Tuning Software for the BMW M2 has gone international!

We have a number of cars now in the UK, China, and Australia.

Here's a photo from our dealer BBA in China:

And a quick testimonial from a customer who used our dealer Euro Motorsport in Australia:

Last edited by VF-Engineering; 05-16-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #66
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Well, I've still got a few years before the BMW warranty expires. I'm pretty confident that some better turbo options will appear in that time. Who knows, VF might actually develop something by then. I had VF's supercharger kit & tune on my e36, and it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing their hex-tune dyno numbers, and hearing more feedback from their M2 customers.
Jut for reference, we have posted Stage ONE and Stage TWO Dyno plots back
in Post #1 ... (clink link to jump)

We also posted an additional dyno plot from our development cycle on our
Mustang AWD-500-SE dyno to demonstrate that the delta will be nearly
identical even on different machines, back in Post #37 ... (clink link to jump)

More important than peak numbers is the delta gains for "before and after".
Our advertised plots are also typically on the modest side as we like to see
customers achieve the same/or/better results when dynoed independently.
91 Octane - Uncorrected - Average Runs for before and after.
We will never use the "lowest" stock run, and "highest" tuned run in order
to artificially inflate the gains, and all measurements are for the same car
with the same fuel on the same dyno for accuracy with uncorrected plots.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread