BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound Alternatives in the UK

01-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Question Bavsound Alternatives in the UK

OK, So my HK recently went pop after 7 weeks of ownership, I've been without sounds now for a week and my stealer appears to be in no hurry to fix it.

One thing I noticed is how poor the fidelity is on the HK when the volume is turned up... every now and again I like to relive my youth. I've seen the Bavsound stage 1 speaker package has got some good reviews and the ghost subs appear to be well recieved. At about $1450 all in it's not that expensive either.... HOWEVER after I've paid for UK shipping, import tax and VAT it starts to not look such good value.

My question is, can any one make any recommendations for a speaker only alternative from the UK or EU?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Check out the thread below in the 2 series forum. A ton of us have replaced stock with the Eton/JL Audio combo - easy swap over with great visual guides...results are night and day improvement over stock HK system - all in for about £400 too (speakers, harnesses, tools, dynamat etc..)

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236238
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Interesting read... and a lot to digest. I've always shy away from mixing my speaker brands/ranges for fear of a tonal imbalance. I'd be interested to hear these in a UK HK car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I took the plunge and ordered these speakers from Germany. The kit arrives and I'm hoping to fit them this weekend. However I need to source the OEM harness for the rear speakers. Does anyone know where I can source a set in the UK? The only one's I can find are in the US and it like £26 shipping for a £8 part

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-OEM-Sp...MAAOSwDk5UEnPc
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
Check out the thread below in the 2 series forum. A ton of us have replaced stock with the Eton/JL Audio combo - easy swap over with great visual guides...results are night and day improvement over stock HK system - all in for about £400 too (speakers, harnesses, tools, dynamat etc..)

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236238
Can I ask where you purchased your Eton speakers from?
      04-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post
Can I ask where you purchased your Eton speakers from?
Sure, got both the Eatons and JBLs off Amazon.co.uk with prime!
That was last year though so not sure who's doing best deals now.

You need Eaton B100W for front 2 (disconnect centre channel) and JL Audio C2-400x models for the two rears - everything and more is all detailed in the thread above.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Can second the fact that the thread linked above has everything you need to know, probably a lot more too. Most folks either do Eton front / JL rear or Bavsound at least as far as speakers go. After that you get into the netherworld of crazy $ for car audio that never made sense to me since, um, it's a car with LOTS of challenges for a listening environment.

You'll be quite pleased with just a speaker swap and upgrading your source material to FLAC, easiest route there is a FiiO to aux in. The audio conversion process in the head unit is not great.
Appreciate 0