BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Things Dealerships Do That Piss You Off

10-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #45
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Salesmen work on commission. If they waste their time on someone dressed like a bum and who is 21 years old who clearly looks like he has zero chance of affording the car than they miss out on the opportunity to sell one when a person who actually can afford the car comes in. If you want to test drive an M4 then look like you belong there.
Who cares they work on commission? If they do their job, provide quality customer service, and understand / are knowledgable about the product they sell then they shouldn't have a problem selling a vehicle.

Age and how a customer is dressed should not be the indicators you use on whether or not you want to help the customer. I know plenty of people in their 20s to early 30s that could EASILY afford an M4, M3, S5, etc (they are all business owners).

I will not dress up to go to a dealership, not happening. I will go in with whatever attire I have on, and if they don't provide customer service, no problem they lost a sale. I have worked at a high end automotive dealership and trust me most people who are billionaires / millionaires don't go around everywhere in a suit.

I always tell my friends who work sales that "kid" in his 20s could be an entrepreneur whom could easily buy the car, or that gentleman who walks in looking like he's homeless could be making well over a 7+ digit income.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #46
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleb View Post
You do know that legally the finance guy has to go over that stuff right? A lot of what they do is covering the dealerships ass having you sign that you are declining the coverages.

Please cite the law that says a dealership "legally" has to try to sell GAP insurance, paint guard, wheel protection, and LoJack?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #47
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

When the tech tries to convince me that my N55 is an N54.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #48
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Doesn't matter if you dress the part or not. I've went to dealer dressing sharp, still no service. I dress up like a regular person, nothing. You need to flaunt your money to get any service at all.
      10-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #49
woobiee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/F82

- Requiring me to sit in the finance office while watching a 10 minute video on the various 'additions' and 'packages' I should buy, after the finance manager pushing for these said 'additions' and 'packages.' He was dumbfounded when I said a flat "no" to everything.

- CA withholding my confirmed ED date for a week. I found this out after calling BMWNA for the confirmation date. smh.

- Both finance manager and CA trying to convince me current M cars, (my M4), came with run-flat tires and tried proving by showing me that there are no spares in the trunk.
      10-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #50
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobiee View Post

- Both finance manager and CA trying to convince me current M cars, (my M4), came with run-flat tires and tried proving by showing me that there are no spares in the trunk.
Ohh that last one is fantastic.

When I purchased my i3 the dealer finance guy tried to get me to buy the tire protection plan because "runflats break a lot and theyre expensive"

Guess what car doesnt come with runflats?

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #51
Kortho
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' SO F80

- Thinking that just because a deal is settled and a car is on order there is no more need to provide customer service.

I had a F80 on order and all the sudden my SA dropped off the face of the earth. No more questions answered, phone calls returned, and always 'out' or away from his desk if I needed to talk to him. Now mind you I wasn't constantly calling him maybe just once every two weeks.

anyway I couldn't take the complete lack of follow on customer service, cancelled my order and went with a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #52
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Thinking that someone who can afford these cars can't do simple math and figure out lease/finance payments to the penny.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #53
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

Two words: service department
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #54
sizquik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

Putting holes in my front bumper pre-delivery after specifically asking them not to multiple times. "Sorry, we do that to all new cars".
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:17 PM   #55
Bushum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleb View Post
You do know that legally the finance guy has to go over that stuff right? A lot of what they do is covering the dealerships ass having you sign that you are declining the coverages.

One time I was working a deal for a five year loan and told the guy I wanted a specific payment based on what I wanted to pay for the car. After several trips to the "boss" he came back with the payment I wanted and said, "Sign here to accept the deal." At the bottom in smaller print was the term of EIGHTY FOUR months! The entire time I made it more than clear the terms in which we were working. The sixty month term was even written on every box of that stupid four square sheet they insist on using. I did that math on the calculator for him and showed him that he wanted me to pay a total of $55,000 for a $35,000 car. I asked him if he thought I was an moron then I told him that since can't negotiate in good faith I was done and would never set foot back in that dealership. I wouldn't treat someone I hated like that.

Last edited by Bushum; 10-06-2015 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #56
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Assigning my file to a salesman who can't speak English after my salesman quit. When I requested an engaged salesman who specializes in M sales who can keep me in the know on upcoming M cars, M car changes, orders, events etc.

Been 8 months not a fucking word.

Needless to say i think my next car will be a Mercedes, their sales manager sends me emails once or twice a month and I have never bought something from him., introduced through a buddy who has a fleet of AMG's though haha. Been invited to test drive the C63s Coupe when it arrives.

idiots.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #57
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushum View Post

One time I was working a deal for a five year loan and told the guy I wanted a specific payment based on what I wanted to pay for the car. After several trips to the "boss" he came back with the payment I wanted and said, "Sign here to accept the deal." At the bottom in smaller print was the term of EIGHTY FOUR months! The entire time I made it more than clear the terms in which we were working. The sixty month term was even written on every box of that stupid four square sheet they insist on using. I did that math on the calculator for him and showed him that he wanted me to pay a total of $55,000 for a $35,000 car. I asked him if he thought I was an moron then I told him that since can't negotiate in good faith I was done and would never set foot back in that dealership. I wouldn't treat someone I hated like that.

I cringe when I hear stories where the salesman says to the perspective buyer "sign here and accept the deal." I always stress to everyone to always take an hour, a couple hours, or even a day to sit down and thoroughly read through the sales contract. The things dealers will do to maximize profit will make you never want to step foot into a dealership again. The most enjoyable sales process with when your salesman sits down with you, understands your needs / wants in a vehicle, shows you vehicles that are a best fit for you, walks you through the sales contract, no back and forth, agree on terms, and sign. The issue is 95% of dealerships can't get this right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
Assigning my file to a salesman who can't speak English after my salesman quit. When I requested an engaged salesman who specializes in M sales who can keep me in the know on upcoming M cars, M car changes, orders, events etc.

Been 8 months not a fucking word.

Needless to say i think my next car will be a Mercedes, their sales manager sends me emails once or twice a month and I have never bought something from him., introduced through a buddy who has a fleet of AMG's though haha. Been invited to test drive the C63s Coupe when it arrives.

idiots.
The biggest issue in the automotive industry is turnover. Before I ever go into a dealership I like to go onto their website and take a look at their staff, read their bio so I can see who I maybe working with, and who has the most experience. I've noticed that salesmen and women will bounce around from dealer to dealer. The same applies for management. I have seen for example one GM go from Audi to BMW to Mercedes, and etc. Sometimes this occurs within a couple months even. When this happens it causes trickle down issues such as misinformed staff, terrible customer service, power struggles between management and staff, and the list goes on and on.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 03:05 PM   #58
Victorydiaz10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i mineral grey

Garage List
- asking about packages on car and them not knowing it without looking up the VIN while I could do that on my phone.
- when they repeat they can powder coat my wheels for 1k
- when you offer a reasonable offer and they laugh and then he has to go to the manager to present it.
- saying they would lose money on lower price.

And yes, I ended up buying the car for below the price they would lose money on and then also I bought it for the price the associate laughed at. Oops
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #59
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

I think you can achieve a better sales experience by emailing/calling in before hand.

I have always bought a car when I have discussed all things business related before hand via email/phone/text. I have been very fortunate that it has always gone smoothly(Honda,Acura and BMW).

I for some reason have never bought a car walking onto a dealership without a contact. It has always been a very unpleasant experience from a long list of things. A few things that top that list are~~

-Marking up my MF/interest rate. I know where I stand in the credit world. The favorite line is "You need to have more debt, you have good credit but no debt". The dealership shouldve clearly seen the number of car loans/leases I have had in the past along with my debt to income. This isn't my first rodeo and its hilarious when they pull this on me.

-I really hate when they sit me down right away and start talking numbers. The worst sales process ever. It goes from meet and greet to trying to close a sale.

-Not allowing me to test drive the car. I did not get to test drive the M3/M4 at my two local dealerships. At this point, I was already a buyer. I was also not allowed to test drive an s2000 a few years ago, but was offered a ride in the passenger seat... Maybe I look much younger than I really am, maybe its just a sports car thing. I just thought it was standard to go to a dealership and ask for a test drive. It really saddens me to think that this may continue to happen in the future.

My car buying process is not the standard "I want the rock bottom price". I take a look at the market, make a judgement on my sales experience and negotiate a fair price from there. All the other sales tactics do not bother me, the sales people are simply trying to do their job and maximize profit.

I use to work at a Honda dealership in the internet sales department right next to Microsoft headquarters for a couple of years. Now those demographic of buyers are very price savvy. To be fair, I know what both unreasonable salespeople and customers are like.

The lesson of the story is, build rapport and touch base with your CA before stepping inside of a dealership so both parties have reasonable expectations. Also, if anyone has test driving problems like me, we should call around different dealerships before hand to see if a test drive is available, that was my mistake.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #60
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d X

Garage List
Quote:
Salesmen work on commission. If they waste their time on someone dressed like a bum and who is 21 years old who clearly looks like he has zero chance of affording the car than they miss out on the opportunity to sell one when a person who actually can afford the car comes in. If you want to test drive an M4 then look like you belong there.
That's too funny. So you're saying he did not meet the dress code of BMW and he should have rented a tux
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #61
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchm3ifyoucann View Post
Who cares they work on commission? If they do their job, provide quality customer service, and understand / are knowledgable about the product they sell then they shouldn't have a problem selling a vehicle.

Age and how a customer is dressed should not be the indicators you use on whether or not you want to help the customer. I know plenty of people in their 20s to early 30s that could EASILY afford an M4, M3, S5, etc (they are all business owners).

I will not dress up to go to a dealership, not happening. I will go in with whatever attire I have on, and if they don't provide customer service, no problem they lost a sale. I have worked at a high end automotive dealership and trust me most people who are billionaires / millionaires don't go around everywhere in a suit.

I always tell my friends who work sales that "kid" in his 20s could be an entrepreneur whom could easily buy the car, or that gentleman who walks in looking like he's homeless could be making well over a 7+ digit income.
Well look like a bum and continue to be treated like a bum. People judge you on appearances. Tall and attractive people in general make more money than short ugly. People. Guys going to the BMW dealerships in their 20s in some dirty t shirt and gym shorts don't get to take the M4 out for a ride.

If you don't like it start looking the part or stop whining about it. I have never had an issue getting customer service from salespeople at no matter what the dealer. Even when I was in my early 20s. They just ask me what I want to drive and give me the keys and say go have fun.

another option is to make an appointment. I suspect there is more an attitude involved as salesmen tend to bother people as soon as they get out of there car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #62
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel X5 View Post
That's too funny. So you're saying he did not meet the dress code of BMW and he should have rented a tux
No I am sure there is more to this story. I think unless you look totally destitute they are going to try and sell you a car. So either he was wearing sweat pant with holes in them and some dirty faded t shirt from Walmart or the guys were probably just waiting on someone else.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #63
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

It happened to one of my friends when he was looking to get a S7, but it even made me mad. When my friend tried to negotiate the price of the car by saying it's a little over my budget, the sales manager said: perhaps you should consider A7, not S7 then....

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #64
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well look like a bum and continue to be treated like a bum. People judge you on appearances. Tall and attractive people in general make more money than short ugly. People. Guys going to the BMW dealerships in their 20s in some dirty t shirt and gym shorts don't get to take the M4 out for a ride.

If you don't like it start looking the part or stop whining about it. I have never had an issue getting customer service from salespeople at no matter what the dealer. Even when I was in my early 20s. They just ask me what I want to drive and give me the keys and say go have fun.

another option is to make an appointment. I suspect there is more an attitude involved as salesmen tend to bother people as soon as they get out of there car.
So you are ok with sales staff stereotyping you based on your attire. Since you're ok with that they should also stereotype you based on your ethnicity?

With all due respect that mentality is idiotic, and will cause a dealership to loose sales. One of my good friends can have any car he desires. For instance the family stable is 650S, SLS Black Series, S600, M6, Ford Raptor, and a couple other toys (father is a billionaire). He is 21 years old, and he walks into a dealership and most of the time no one helps him out. I find it funny that he could have literally every car on the lot and most salesmen decide he is not worthy of their time..

I find it so funny that these sales staff at luxury dealerships walk around like they own the place and like they could afford a car from that brand. When in reality the majority of them can't afford the base model of that brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #65
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Sales people are not making more than $2-$3K per month, they simply don't care to be right or spend time for a $200 commission after 8 test drives.
But don't worry, it's gonna get worse.
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #66
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
My friend was trying to buy a car so I told her I would talk to the salesman since I used to sell cars and know the ins and outs.

Salesman tried convincing me that the 2012 335i was a true twin turbo not a "twin scroll" (which I tried telling him) and told me I dont know what I was talking about...I start spewing off engine codes and he shut his mouth real quick lolz

- when they act like they know more than you when clearllyyyy its not the case