BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW and McLaren in talks to build BMW Supercar [updated 9/23/15 with BMW response]

09-24-2015, 04:14 AM   #133
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80 View Post
Sorry, Franky boy, but even being a BMW loyalist and at times fan-boy, I think you're being a bit arrogant and well, wishful, when you say "Nobody in the world is better at carbon fiber than we are."
If you factored in the scale and cost that BMW can do it at it probably does give them a big commercial edge, even if they might not be the most technological advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mikey F80 View Post
And like the article said, it would require heavy reworking. Which I doubt BMW would do based on the halo-car argument Frank said earlier in the article. So, really, it's "i8 or nothing."
The i8 safety car has already shown they can improve the performance without any major re-engineering, and I'd be surprised if they couldn't squeeze the 4 cylinder in, perhaps with water injection...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #134
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Man, they're really getting the turnaround times on these super low these days. This went from yet another wild rumor to nothing in what, 5 days?

But there we go: Rumor appears, fans get excited, rumor gets squashed, fans disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #135
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
As a company and indeed a business we talk to many throughout the industry.
Just because we talk to them does not mean we make a deal with them.
But we have spoken to a few sports car manufacturers to project certain discussion on which could be shared or indeed be a beneficial proposal.

We have recently begun a strategy at BMW under the guise of "Gene Sequencing" in order to integrate further products through proposal into gaps of the brand. Which we can count the BMW M2, BMW M4 GTS, BMW X7 and BMWi5 as part of this strategy but also the BMW 9er our Maybach rival proposal for late 2018,early 2019 which will share innovation with the next generation of RR models.
Please do not make a 9'. There is no room for it in the BMW range and really you should push RR to conspire closing the prices gap it has with its rivals.

As for a super car; I believe the opportunity to wow has passed and you need to look for other directions. The BMW sports coupe range really needs a serious look and contenders with proper product substance and style to bring them inline with you your German rivals like 911, AMG GT and R8 and in smaller 4 series segment as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #136
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Please do not make a 9'. There is no room for it in the BMW range and really you should push RR to conspire closing the prices gap it has with its rivals.

As for a super car; I believe the opportunity to wow has passed and you need to look for other directions. The BMW sports coupe range really needs a serious look and contenders with proper product substance and style to bring them inline with you your German rivals like 911, AMG GT and R8 and in smaller 4 series segment as well.
You will see within the next 12 months on how BMW M. Can push the envelope with resorting to over extensive vanity projects.
Soon we will unleash two phenomenal M cars - The first BMW M2 and the innovative and exciting BMW M4 GTS. In 2016 we will show a concept in which the ideas showcased within the CSL Hommage are implemented on a production car. Increasing innovation with Carbon Fibre and track based technology for the road and of course the track.
Plus we will also announce news of the new Z car. All this without resorting to a super sports car.
      09-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #137
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
If you factored in the scale and cost that BMW can do it at it probably does give them a big commercial edge, even if they might not be the most technological advanced.

The i8 safety car has already shown they can improve the performance without any major re-engineering, and I'd be surprised if they couldn't squeeze the 4 cylinder in, perhaps with water injection...

I agree with you on both these points here, I'm not saying BMW is incapable or isn't in the top 3 of those with CF capability and research. I'm just having a rough time believing they are truly number and no one is better, and that they achieved number one status in only a few years of development where others have been in the game much longer.

In particular in regards to the i8 safety car, etc, I agree with you there too. My comment was directly in response to Mr. van Meel's statement that throwing a V8 in an i8 would be impossible and ruin the i8 as the halo car. A four cylinder like you said would be very attractive, but I doubt it would be considered a "supercar" by most. My main argument is that there won't be a BMW "supercar" for a long time, if ever.

///Mikey

"It's a yobbo, yobbo, yobbo... But we like that in an M3 don't we?"
-Chris Harris
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 05:48 AM   #138
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW produce their own Carbon Fibre which is presented in its rawest form.
Other manufacturers use outside sources and also apply a glaze to make it more presentable but does not increase the strength over raw Carbon fibre.
BMW does this in house so it cuts supplier and production costs that others have to pay for. Which is why we can implement it within our core models such as the 7er and the next 5er and 3er aswell as developing and manufacturing a volume CFRP structure for the BMW i3. Our main competitors at Mercedes-Benz have admitted they won't be able to do that until the end of this decade, in which BMW will be able to implement more Carbon fibre in its cars. @ BMW the Carbon revolution is already underway.
      09-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #139
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #140
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
No this can't be true.

BMW lost their way remember?
Yep, now we remember
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #141
carbonnis_al
Rep
Drives: 2001 740 iL

Pretty cool for McLaren, they'll get a new collaboration partner but as others have said. What benefit does BMW have to add another partner for a collaboration car?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #142
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Since M GmbH didn't build a compelling case with either cars, the unnamed BMW should be splendid.

This is going to be delicious!
Build a compelling case? It might have been greenlighted if they had proposed an M 2 series Gran Tourer

Seriously, this marks the second great super car that BMW has axed. The first being the infamous 550 hp M8.

And they (BMW management) keep fucking over M Division, meanwhile AMG has already produced its SECOND bespoked production car, the AMG GT. Audi is on its second generation of R8. And BMW will not let M Division go out and play with it's friends. Afraid it might get hurt? Being overprotective only protects the pocketbook and stifles the growth of M Division's confidence.
I think all of this is actually conjecture, and BMW or BMW M is going to roll out something for their 100th birthday celebration next year.

They will celebrate by gifting themselves a few special cars.

Chris Bangle stated long ago that one can revisit the past twice for a production car, one to celebrate for an iconic car (E52 Z8) and for 100th anniversary.

And BMW will be 100 in 2016. They are going to roll out something that nobody on the planet saw coming from them.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #143
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
Since M GmbH didn't build a compelling case with either cars, the unnamed BMW should be splendid.

This is going to be delicious!
Build a compelling case? It might have been greenlighted if they had proposed an M 2 series Gran Tourer

Seriously, this marks the second great super car that BMW has axed. The first being the infamous 550 hp M8.

And they (BMW management) keep fucking over M Division, meanwhile AMG has already produced its SECOND bespoked production car, the AMG GT. Audi is on its second generation of R8. And BMW will not let M Division go out and play with it's friends. Afraid it might get hurt? Being overprotective only protects the pocketbook and stifles the growth of M Division's confidence.
I think all of this is actually conjecture, and BMW or BMW M is going to roll out something for their 100th birthday celebration next year.

They will celebrate by gifting themselves a few special cars.

Chris Bangle stated long ago that one can revisit the past twice for a production car, one to celebrate for an iconic car (E52 Z8) and for 100th anniversary.

And BMW will be 100 in 2016. They are going to roll out something that nobody on the planet saw coming from them.
Yeah, a new carbon fiber bmw minivan
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #144
TimberWolf_3063
Dem Ingenör ist nix zu schwör!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 - DCT, EDC

Garage List
BMW i8, heavy on carbon fiber and electric motors.
Toss in the S63 and DCT...keep the electric motors for a hybrid supercar a la LaFerrari, 918, P1 etc. Wider wheels and tires are a must. But, 80% of the work is done...
And, voila! I give you...the new M1!!!
Apparently, with the leadership at BMW being retooled, there will also be a gentle shift away from Efficient Dynamics and back towards Freude Am Fahren!
"Ah, what music! They could never have imagined it, those pioneers that invented the automobile...that it would possess us like this, and our imaginations, and our dreams. You see, men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!" - Alexander Fermor-Hesketh, 3rd Baron Hesketh
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 01:47 AM   #145
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
As a company and indeed a business we talk to many throughout the industry.
Just because we talk to them does not mean we make a deal with them.
But we have spoken to a few sports car manufacturers to project certain discussion on which could be shared or indeed be a beneficial proposal.

We have recently begun a strategy at BMW under the guise of "Gene Sequencing" in order to integrate further products through proposal into gaps of the brand. Which we can count the BMW M2, BMW M4 GTS, BMW X7 and BMWi5 as part of this strategy but also the BMW 9er our Maybach rival proposal for late 2018,early 2019 which will share innovation with the next generation of RR models.
I think it looks ugly. It looks off in many places.. I doubt they would release it like that. The new BMW X1 and new designs look far better than this.
Appreciate 0