BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Any catastrophic failures with tuning?

11-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #23
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
If you're going custom turbo, then yeah, custom tune. My comments were about a largely stock car, save for the IC, DP, and gas.

But it's usually not. No one wastes money on a custom tune that they can get with an OTS tune unless they are doing non-standard mods, or want to wring the most power out of the car.

I think we can agree to disagree here, as I agree that a custom tune can be just as safe as an OTS tune (or safer), it's just that it's usually not. The whole reason the companies that make OTS tunes are in business is because of how safe their tunes usually are.
You can have one of several different performance cats or open down pipe and use the same OTS tune. You can have a myriad of different intercoolers and flow rates and use the same OTS tune. You can have a stock exhaust or a muffler delete and use the same OTS tune. Same with intakes. I don't subscribe to the one tune fits all school of thought. I also don't think that people only get custom tunes to extract the last bit of power out of their engine. I wouldn't even if I had a stock turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #24
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

You'll likely be ok with those mods but you are pushing the limits of the fuel system. One flake out of the fuel pump under extreme load could cause a major knock event that could take out a piston or hit the piston so hard that it hammers the rod right through the oil film of the rod bearing and then you spin a bearing.

If hearing this makes you nervous, then tuning and modding may not be for you. Sure, lots of us run way more power than stock, but plenty of turbo BMW motors have died early lives stock, lightly modded, heavily modded, etc. There are risks to modding and driving hard.

Don't trust anyone that says it will be fine assuming your tune is perfect unless they're backing that up with a warranty. The burden of proof is on you. They have many outs in the event of a failure. BMW will very likely deny warranty coverage too if something fails. You are pushing the motor outside its design limits and safeguard thresholds.

If you do tune, definitely run the highest octane you can and preferably stick to a 91 octane tune even if you're running 93 or higher. Watch your oil levels and change it regularly. I've done used oil analysis three times now and BMW 0w30 is done by about 5000 miles before it starts falling out of it's viscosity range.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #25
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
BMW will very likely deny warranty coverage too if something fails. You are pushing the motor outside its design limits and safeguard thresholds.
This is why I personally only recommend going as far as Dinan goes, because we know the factory warranty would cover it, so it's within the general limits of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #26
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Quote:
This is why I personally only recommend going as far as Dinan goes, because we know the factory warranty would cover it, so it's within the general limits of the engine.
I'm curious to see what kind of N55 flash tunes they come up with. They told me they should be out by the end of this year or early next year, so I'll probably go with that. People like to take different levels of risk. For me, the peace of mind that comes with a warranty is important!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #27
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Err... no, the factory warranty doesn't cover Dinan mods. Dinan provides a factory equaling warranty that covers claims when the factory won't. Their piggy back offerings are conservative, and I've not heard of any claims to Dinan for catastrophic failures, but my understanding is that if your car isn't 100% BMW + Dinan, their warranty and BMWs is voided. If you go with a third party FMIC with your Dinan setup, because their FMIC sucks, you're out of luck. Fit the Dinan resonator delete yourself, you may have issues making a claim etc.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
I'm thinking of adding the following mods:

Akrapovic catted downpipe
VRSF charge pipe
Wagner intercooler
BM3 stage 2 tune

I don't think I'm pushing the car to its limits, but I am aware of the risks associated with aftermarket tuning. But I'd like to hear from those who've had MAJOR breakdowns (blown engine, etc.) as a result of a similar setup. Am I being too much of a p**sy? LOL

Any feedback would be appreciated!
You really can't go wrong with your stated N55 mod plans. You'll need NGK 97506 spark plugs gapped down to 0.022". You don't say which Wagner but I highly recommend the Wagner Competition series FMIC because it's quicker flow, less intake pressure drop and less turbo lag- so well worth slightly higher cost. Fabspeed catted downpipe is guaranteed against Check Engine Lights so may want to include that in your models for consideration. Same for charge pipe. I believe that people have had good experiences with VRSF. I've used Evolution Raceworks charge pipe and can verify perfect fitment with the Wagner FMIC.

BootMod3 Stage2 N55 EWG 93 octane is a smooth powerful tune and the included automatic transmission tune is tremendous. I considered a custom tune ($500+) but people I respect advised against it. The OTS tune is powerful and safe. I was told that it would only be worth spending $ on a custom tune if I was installing more exotic fueling and/or a larger turbocharger.

Good luck with your mods!
Appreciate 1
hz101169.50
      11-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Err... no, the factory warranty doesn't cover Dinan mods. Dinan provides a factory equaling warranty that covers claims when the factory won't. Their piggy back offerings are conservative, and I've not heard of any claims to Dinan for catastrophic failures, but my understanding is that if your car isn't 100% BMW + Dinan, their warranty and BMWs is voided. If you go with a third party FMIC with your Dinan setup, because their FMIC sucks, you're out of luck. Fit the Dinan resonator delete yourself, you may have issues making a claim etc.
Yes, and no.

Most dealers will look the other way if the part says Dinan. Only some will look the other way if it doesn't...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl26 View Post
You mean get super knocking like mine?

If you get this at the track even if the engine doesn't die the piston is likely to be cracked either way.

But keep in mind that super knocking and knocking is not the same.

Next time I go back to my mechanic I will try to capture how bad the piston was. They took it out but I forgot to take a picture last time.

To that point, I don't recall anyone that saw my logs for that day indicated any issues with knocking or octane.

IAT was an issue though.

Logging will help with regular knocking but not super knocking.

Don't use BMW supplied oil. This was one of variables that changed from my usual track days and likely contributed to oil intrusion causing the hot spot on the side of the piston.

If you run really sticky tires stay out of lower half of RPM range. LSPI is another major variable that leads to super knocking.
Is that #6?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #31
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Is that #6?
It’s either 1 or 6. Clearly from the photos it’s one end.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0