BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Any feedback on my European Delivery plans?

04-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Any feedback on my European Delivery plans?

Hi everyone!

So as per my last post, I have my European Delivery pick-up date slotted for June 7/19! I just finished booking the round-trip flight and before I start booking the hotels, I'd love some feedback on the plans I have for the trip - the route, the hotels, the destinations, etc. This is my first real-M Car and my first Euro Delivery experience, so I'm unbelievably excited.

My plan is based around a 1-week trip:

Day 1 (June 7):
- Pick-up car at Welt, tour BMW museum/factory
- Head to Inglostadt to check-out the Audi Museum
- Drive to Bludenz (OPEN TO RECOMMENDATIONS FOR OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE AUSTRIAN ALPS) and stay the night at a hotel in Bludenz / OTHER LOCATION IN AUSTRIAN ALPS.

Day 2:
- Hit the Silvretta-hochalpenstraße
- Head to Stelvio; do the Stelvio Pass
- From Stelvio Pass, head to Lake Como - Hotel Villa Flori (Recommended by one of the guys in the F80 forum) for the night.

Day 3:
- Lake Como to Modena
- Do the typical Lambo/Pagani/Ferrari Museums/Factory Tours
- Stay the night at Maranello Palace Hotel

Day 4:
- Drive to Cinque Terre
- Spend the night in Portofino at the Excelsior Palace (The BMW M-Euro Tour stayed at this hotel, but I'm open to other cheaper/equally-as-nice recommendations)

Day 5:
- Drive to Monaco
- Stay at Fairmont Monte Carlo
- Get break-in service done at BMW MYWAY Monaco (Open to recommendations for any other places to get break-in service done)

Day 6:
- Drive up to Stuttgart from Monaco
- Hit the Mercedes Benz museum before it closes
- Stay at Wald Hotel Stuttgart

Day 7:
- Do Porsche Factory + Museum
- Try and book an Audi Neckslaurum Factory Tour
- Head to Nurburgring
- Stay night at Apex Nurburg

Day 8:
- Nurburgring Festivities -> Ring Taxi, 2 Laps of the Ring w/ Instruction, Shopping at Ring Blvd.
- Stay another night at Apex Nurburg

Day 9:
- Drive to Munich and drop-off car at Log IN Out Munich Airport
- Stay night at Hilton Munich Airport

Day 10:
-Fly back to Toronto

Its a lot of driving for one week, but I'd like to make the most out of my time with my car in Europe. Also, I'd like to get the break-in service done preferably before hitting the 'Ring.

I've attached a map of my plans and would love some feedback on if theres a more efficient way to hit all the locations in my itinerary.

Thanks in advance! Hope to see some of you guys during my travels.
Attached Images

04-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

For days 2-6 those drives are going to take a much longer time than you think and than Google maps makes it seem like. You'll spend all daylight driving and have only little time at each city.

Also, you cannot drive into Cinque Terre. Going to have to go to a nearby town, park, and take a train in.

Also, buy locks, bring them with you, and install at the Welt. Just do some searching on bimmerfest, the amount of wheels stolen in Italy for ED is staggering.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #3
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport X1 View Post
Day 2:
- Hit the Silvretta-hochalpenstraße
- Head to Stelvio; do the Stelvio Pass
- From Stelvio Pass, head to Lake Como - Hotel Villa Flori (Recommended by one of the guys in the F80 forum) for the night.

Day 3:
- Lake Como to Modena
- Do the typical Lambo/Pagani/Ferrari Museums/Factory Tours
- Stay the night at Maranello Palace Hotel

Day 6:
- Drive up to Stuttgart from Monaco
- Hit the Mercedes Benz museum before it closes
- Stay at Wald Hotel Stuttgart

Day 7:
- Do Porsche Factory + Museum
- Try and book an Audi Neckslaurum Factory Tour
- Head to Nurburgring
- Stay night at Apex Nurburg
You might see me around Lake Como on 6/8 . I'll be in Stuttgart museums one day before you.
DARKMTTR229.00
      04-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

That is a ton of driving, I tried to do something similar and regret it. I feel like I didn't get to see anything in detail as I was always just driving to the next destination. I would consider cutting out some of the stops you don't really care about that much.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
That is a ton of driving, I tried to do something similar and regret it. I feel like I didn't get to see anything in detail as I was always just driving to the next destination. I would consider cutting out some of the stops you don't really care about that much.
Yeah, I agree 100%. My wife and I did 1,474 miles over about 12 days and even that was a lot. Your itinerary looks great, though if I was you, I would cut out the Genoa/Monaco/Modena portions and spend more time in the other areas.

But, to each their own. That's a hell of a trip if you don't mind the driving!
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      04-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
alavigne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Yeah, I agree 100%. My wife and I did 1,474 miles over about 12 days and even that was a lot. Your itinerary looks great, though if I was you, I would cut out the Genoa/Monaco/Modena portions and spend more time in the other areas.

I did 4500 miles over 16 days, so quite a bit more than most, but I focused on maximum twisty roadage (mostly in Northern Italy and Southern Switzerland) and the Nurburgring.

https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/TripRe...2018/M2Pickup/ if you want specifics.
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      04-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Who are you traveling with? If by yourself, go for it.

If you're with your spouse, significant other or just a friend, you may consider driving a little less. That's a lot of road time, just being a passenger.

Coincidentally, my ED was 9 days of driving, just like yours. I put on 1,100 miles with my wife along side and that was perfect. It gave me enough road time, plus time to enjoy the sites, food & drink of the cities we visited.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
joseyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 17 488GTB, 16 Cayman S

Seems like a lot of driving even if you are doing it alone and even crazier with passenger(s). The museums that you have listed all take a few hours, especially if you want to walk through most of the MB museum, that place is massive! Also, unless you have an early pickup appointment, doing the BMW pickup, museum/factory tour and then heading over to the Audi museum before turning around driving to the Austrian Alps seems quite ambitious. Cutting out the destinations south of Lake Como/Milan might be a better way to go if you want to enjoy the places and museums you have picked out. If you have more time in Stuttgart, the Porsche museum has all their racing heritage on display and it does not take as much time as the MB museum. In any case, enjoy your first ED, which can't get any better than in a M car!

My wife and I will be picking up the car from the Welt on May 20th and we have a full 20 days with the car. So far I have planned about 3,000 km worth of driving and I am still wondering if it's too much. There are only two hotels that we will only be staying for one night, so hopefully we will be ok and my passenger/boss wouldn't be mad at me. We will be skipping the BMW Welt/factory tour since we have been there multiple times, including some private tours with a friend of mine who works at the factory. Instead, we are heading to Steyr to get a personal tour of the engine plant where our S55 engines are made (production line 6 to be specific). Other car specific items we plan on doing are a private factory tour at Ferrari, Rue du Napoleon from Cannes to Genoble and then some lesser knows passes in Switzerland to avoid the crowding at the more famous ones. Here is the google map of my planned route. If anyone has some interesting roads or places to suggest along my route, please let me know. Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
2015 Mercedes E63 S AMG
Appreciate 2
DARKMTTR229.00
bobert858.50
      04-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
My wife and I missed the factory tour because we didn't know that it was like at 1 time a day or something, so I would look into that.
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      04-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
For days 2-6 those drives are going to take a much longer time than you think and than Google maps makes it seem like. You'll spend all daylight driving and have only little time at each city.

Also, you cannot drive into Cinque Terre. Going to have to go to a nearby town, park, and take a train in.

Also, buy locks, bring them with you, and install at the Welt. Just do some searching on bimmerfest, the amount of wheels stolen in Italy for ED is staggering.
Thank you for the tips! I was completely unaware about having to train into Cinque Terre. I think I might reconsider hitting the coastline if that's the case.

Also, do you think one night in Modena would be risky enough to warrant purchasing wheel locks? I think the one case I read about wheels getting stolen was in a larger Italian city, but I'll definitely look more into it.
      04-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
You might see me around Lake Como on 6/8 . I'll be in Stuttgart museums one day before you.
Awesome!! Are you doing another ED or just visiting for a vacation? Either way, look out for a BSM M2C!
      04-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #12
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I really appreciate the first hand experience! I'm definitely reconsidering my route now. As much as I'm there to drive my car on foreign roads, I'd definitely like to have some R&R and enjoy the destinations as much as the journey.
      04-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post

Thanks for the suggestions, I've definitely considered cutting out the coastal destinations. I'd really like to make it to the factories in Italy, but if its too out of the way, I'll probably be content with the German factories.

I definitely don't mind driving - this past Christmas I drove from Toronto to Miami in 20 hours straight with my X1... long story why. My only concern for this trip is that the person I'm travelling with can't drive manual so it'd be all on me.

Last edited by DARKMTTR; 04-06-2019 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #14
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alavigne View Post
I did 4500 miles over 16 days, so quite a bit more than most, but I focused on maximum twisty roadage (mostly in Northern Italy and Southern Switzerland) and the Nurburgring.

https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/TripRe...2018/M2Pickup/ if you want specifics.
Awesome! I'll have a read and maybe take some pointers from your trip. Thanks for sharing.
      04-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #15
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Who are you traveling with? If by yourself, go for it.

If you're with your spouse, significant other or just a friend, you may consider driving a little less. That's a lot of road time, just being a passenger.

Coincidentally, my ED was 9 days of driving, just like yours. I put on 1,100 miles with my wife along side and that was perfect. It gave me enough road time, plus time to enjoy the sites, food & drink of the cities we visited.
It'll be with my Mother, who can't drive manual - although I'm trying to get her lessons just for emergency sake.

Since this is my first ED, I'm not sure what to expect in terms of traffic between destinations. As much as I'd like to squeeze in all those KMs I'd definitely like to enjoy the destinations as well rather than be stuck in traffic. At least I know it is doable! Thanks for your input.
      04-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #16
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseyu View Post
Seems like a lot of driving even if you are doing it alone and even crazier with passenger(s). The museums that you have listed all take a few hours, especially if you want to walk through most of the MB museum, that place is massive! Also, unless you have an early pickup appointment, doing the BMW pickup, museum/factory tour and then heading over to the Audi museum before turning around driving to the Austrian Alps seems quite ambitious. Cutting out the destinations south of Lake Como/Milan might be a better way to go if you want to enjoy the places and museums you have picked out. If you have more time in Stuttgart, the Porsche museum has all their racing heritage on display and it does not take as much time as the MB museum. In any case, enjoy your first ED, which can't get any better than in a M car!

My wife and I will be picking up the car from the Welt on May 20th and we have a full 20 days with the car. So far I have planned about 3,000 km worth of driving and I am still wondering if it's too much. There are only two hotels that we will only be staying for one night, so hopefully we will be ok and my passenger/boss wouldn't be mad at me. We will be skipping the BMW Welt/factory tour since we have been there multiple times, including some private tours with a friend of mine who works at the factory. Instead, we are heading to Steyr to get a personal tour of the engine plant where our S55 engines are made (production line 6 to be specific). Other car specific items we plan on doing are a private factory tour at Ferrari, Rue du Napoleon from Cannes to Genoble and then some lesser knows passes in Switzerland to avoid the crowding at the more famous ones. Here is the google map of my planned route. If anyone has some interesting roads or places to suggest along my route, please let me know. Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
Your trip plans sound incredible! I was planning to blaze through the museums as I'm more interested in the actual factory tours, but I've heard those take time as well. Hopefully once I rework my schedule, I can spend more time at the museums. Thanks for sharing.
      04-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #17
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, I've definitely considered cutting out the coastal destinations. I'd really like to make it to the factories in Italy, but if its too out of the way, I'll probably be content with the German factories.

I definitely don't mind driving - this past Christmas I drove from Toronto to Miami in 20 hours straight with my X1... long story why. My only concern for this trip is that the person I'm travelling with can't drive manual so it'd be all on me.
Nice, in that case, you have one hell of a trip planned. Hope you have a blast!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #18
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Awesome!! Are you doing another ED or just visiting for a vacation? Either way, look out for a BSM M2C!
Not doing another ED - but pretty close; I'm renting an M2C to make up for the things I missed on my ED trip 18 months ago when we got stuck in Strasbourg (which is a nice place to get stuck if you're not in a tight ED timeframe), and some things I had to cut out of the itinerary due to lack of time. And some new things!

Congrats on the new beast - great color choice, and great idea to do ED.
      04-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #19
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for the tips! I was completely unaware about having to train into Cinque Terre. I think I might reconsider hitting the coastline if that's the case.

Also, do you think one night in Modena would be risky enough to warrant purchasing wheel locks? I think the one case I read about wheels getting stolen was in a larger Italian city, but I'll definitely look more into it.
You can drive to the Cinque Terre. There are parking lots at the top of the towns. I parked in a modern parking structure in Monterosso when I stayed there. I think of the 5 towns, Riomaggiore had largest parking structure, a multi-story garage. You can even drive from town to town but it is a circuitous route as the road winds up and down the cliffs and you need to be a local to raise the barrier to drive into the towns which are pedestrian zones.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #20
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

Quote:

I will be driving down to Modena then on to Milan spending one night each. I was planning on buying wheel locks. Can I buy them at the Welt? if not, I can buy them here but who puts them on for you at the Welt and is there a fee?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #21
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by somberlaine View Post
Quote:

I will be driving down to Modena then on to Milan spending one night each. I was planning on buying wheel locks. Can I buy them at the Welt? if not, I can buy them here but who puts them on for you at the Welt and is there a fee?
Buy gorilla locks here, ask them to install for you when you check in. If they say do not do that anymore, insist. It was free for us for our F80. If that fails, bring a wrench with you.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #22
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

Quote:
Buy gorilla locks here, ask them to install for you when you check in. If they say do not do that anymore, insist. It was free for us for our F80. If that fails, bring a wrench with you.
Thank you sir
Appreciate 0