BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Dropped car in Vienna 30+ days before it shipped.

08-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #1
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Dropped car in Vienna 30+ days before it shipped.

Just an FYI to other M2 European Delivery participants.

I know it can vary greatly and I was ok with a longer wait, but I was surprised at how long the process is taking. I debated about dropping off back in Munich and now I wish I would have.

I did ED 2 years ago and dropped the car off in Munich and got the car 8 weeks later on the West coast.

This trip, I will be lucky to get the car in in 13 weeks.

Next trip I am going to drop off in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Your mistake was dropping off at a port that doesn't get a lot of traffic. I am sure they have maybe one ship a month that picks up in Vienna where Bremmerhaven is one of the largest ports for cars in the world and has ships 2-3 times a week.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Your mistake was dropping off at a port that doesn't get a lot of traffic. I am sure they have maybe one ship a month that picks up in Vienna where Bremmerhaven is one of the largest ports for cars in the world and has ships 2-3 times a week.
I agree - to minimize the shipping time, you need to be careful where you drop off. I think that was the original point of the OP.

But ... a ship that picks up in Vienna?

Pretty sure the car gets transported over land to a port from Vienna. Is there such a thing as a river-based car carrier?

I'm sure the OP could clarify.

Last time I checked about leaving a car in Italy, I learned that they drive the car back to Munich, and then it takes normal channels from there. No thank you - I drove it back to Munich myself (2015). When I dropped in Zurich (2006), it was transported by the logistics company (by truck or train - can't remember) to Bremerhaven. I actually got my car back in California a few days quicker when I dropped in Zurich than when I dropped in Munich - but both cases were within reasonable timeframes.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Car gets trucked back to Bremmerhaven.

I had read of people having minimal delay 2-3 days and up to 3 weeks delay dropping in Vienna.

I am just adding my experience so people can see that it could be worse than 3 weeks, factor that into your decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
MPOWERE9
POWERFUL1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 AW 6M MR MStripe

Garage List
1973 Bmw/3.0CSi  [0.00]
My car took 2 weeks from drop off to being loaded on vessel. Munich. dropped 8-18-17
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #6
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
Car gets trucked back to Bremmerhaven.

I had read of people having minimal delay 2-3 days and up to 3 weeks delay dropping in Vienna.

I am just adding my experience so people can see that it could be worse than 3 weeks, factor that into your decision.
Dropped mine in Paris. Still waiting for it to get on a ship but it's only been about 10 days. It's definitely going to add some time to the wait.