BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > What is equipment code 992?

08-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

What is equipment code 992?

When decoding my VIN for M2 awaiting shipment, one of the code entries comes back as "992 Number Plate Attachment Management".

I have ordered my car through my Sales Advisor with no front license plate stipulated... Do you think this refers to that, or, god forbid, does it mean they are applying some kind of bracket to the front bumper?

Is this code listed for all production BMWs whether or not a front plate was stipulated?
      08-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
cgukevin
2018 M2 DCT MGM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT MGM Exec & carplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
When decoding my VIN for M2 awaiting shipment, one of the code entries comes back as "992 Number Plate Attachment Management".

I have ordered my car through my Sales Advisor with no front license plate stipulated... Do you think this refers to that, or, god forbid, does it mean they are applying some kind of bracket to the front bumper?

Is this code listed for all production BMWs whether or not a front plate was stipulated?
I also have that code of equipment listed. I live in a state where a front license plate is required. But I told my CA not to install it because it would require hole drilling in the bumper. I plan to use tow hook instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Mine has code 992, and I've not given my CA any particular direction about installing a front plate. My guess is 992 is a standard config item for US cars -- not at all sure what it really means.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

It's the big, black, boxy hunk of plastic that screws to your front bumper cover to hold the license plate - until someone knocks it off, tears the holes and you have to drill new holes to mount it in a slightly different spot. Tell your CA to toss it in the trunk and consider a no-hole hidden mount if you must run a front plate. Check Bimmerpost supporters or here for a bunch of alternatives: http://www.licenseplatebracketcentra...racket-lineup/.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
It's the big, black, boxy hunk of plastic that screws to your front bumper cover to hold the license plate - until someone knocks it off, tears the holes and you have to drill new holes to mount it in a slightly different spot. Tell your CA to toss it in the trunk and consider a no-hole hidden mount if you must run a front plate. Check Bimmerpost advertisers or here for a bunch of alternatives: http://www.licenseplatebracketcentra...racket-lineup/.
Ive been driving front plateless for 7 years here with no problems.. The CA has instructions No Front Plate on the order when I left my deposit. I was just trying to understand if that 992 Number Plate Management code meant that in mfg they deface the bumper.. Or whether they leave the defacing to the local delivering dealer.. I swear, if they deface that bumper that theyve been instructed not to, theyre going to have to get me another car.. Pronto!
      08-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

Driving front-plateless is fine, until you live in a state that requires the front plate, will give you a moving-violation ticket and force you to prove, in writing and by delivering the car to an inconveniently located police station for visual inspection, that you had a professional mechanic install it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Driving front-plateless is fine, until you live in a state that requires the front plate, will give you a moving-violation ticket and force you to prove, in writing and by delivering the car to an inconveniently located police station for visual inspection, that you had a professional mechanic install it for you.
CT IS such a state, and for 7 years, with my AW 135i not stopped once. .You wont get stopped here, generally, unless theyre looking for a reason to nail you.. Usually, they look the other way.

Now, with a Screamer in a Screaming color like the LBB M2, things might changes. I hope not, but Ill take my chances.

Although, if I ever do get stopped, that Platypus tow hook adapter looks pretty cool, if it ever gets to that.

Last edited by boostm3; 08-22-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
I’ve lived in 2 states that require front plates yet haven’t had one for 15+ years (4 cars, all white). Pulled over once in my CLS63 for it. Let go with a warning.

In California most people don’t even have rear plates.

I’ll take my chances.
Appreciate 1
soco35277.50
      08-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Usually traffic stops are initiated from behind the vehicle. So, unless the officer was positioned such that he observed you approach, noticed you had no visible front plate, and then noticed that your rear plate was the state where this went down (and one requiring 2 plates), I don't see how the infraction would even be noticed, much less ticketed.

My experience is that minor infractions aren't the reason one gets lit up... it's usually something else & then it gets noticed once everyone is curbside.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
CT IS such a state, and for 7 years, with my AW 135i not stopped once. .You wont get stopped here, generally, unless theyre looking for a reason to nail you.. Usually, they look the other way.
The fuzz in Maryland are quite happy to stop & ticket its residents for having no front tag - I ran my Miata without a front tag for years and got pulled over 3 times for no other reason. Finally put it back on (though in a way that didn't look quite as bad) after 2 warnings and a ticket the third time.
      08-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The good news is the front plate bracket sits in the trunk until it arrives at the dealership so as long as you are clear as to your expectations you shouldn't have a problem. I live in a state that does not have front plates but still spelled out clearly to not touch the bracket and told them they could remove plastic film to inspect the car but could not wash it so they did what I asked.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The good news is the front plate bracket sits in the trunk until it arrives at the dealership so as long as you are clear as to your expectations you shouldn't have a problem. I live in a state that does not have front plates but still spelled out clearly to not touch the bracket and told them they could remove plastic film to inspect the car but could not wash it so they did what I asked.
Thanks for the info. Do you know how extensive is the protective plastic film they ship on the car? Im thinking of driving from the dealer to the expel installer an hour away, and wondered if it was possible to have it removed all except for the front bumper area. I want to be able inspect the paint as the car is delivered so I want most of it removed except for the front bumper.. Also, how filthy was the car which you instructed them not to wash? Im tempted to have them not wash mine either (as I instruct after all service appointments), but I want to have a clear view of the paint to inspect before accepting delivery!
      08-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep

This is how mine arrived 3 weeks ago - protective plastic on the hood, roof and trunk lid - plus a big foam no-ding strip on the driver's door. That's it - there was nothing on the front bumper cover or rear bumper cover. The cars are washed and repaired, if necessary, at the VDC.

I was as paranoid as you, but after seeing how the dealer prepped other cars, I let them do it - and it was the best-prepped car I ever took delivery of - not a single issue. (YMMV!) However, I still drove it the few miles home that night and parked it until the Xpel could be applied a week later at an installer 5 or 6 miles away.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks Spa.. I may go your route and let them prep.. After all, same dealer prepped my 135i and it was fine. I think the new car prep crew must be different than the post-srvc car wash crew. At least, I hope so!!
      08-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I live in California, where a front plate is required. My experience is that while the police are unlikely to stop you and give you a citation, if you get a parking ticket for an expired meter or otherwise, the parking ticket person will give you TWO citations: one for the expired meter and another for no front plate. They are trained to do this here and are very good at it. Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #16
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartginger View Post
I live in California, where a front plate is required. My experience is that while the police are unlikely to stop you and give you a citation, if you get a parking ticket for an expired meter or otherwise, the parking ticket person will give you TWO citations: one for the expired meter and another for no front plate. They are trained to do this here and are very good at it. Ask me how I know.
Completely forgot this aspect. I was parked at a meter with money in it and STILL got a ticket for no front plates. Never decided to check if it was legal or not.
Appreciate 0