BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW M Performance Exhaust NOT legal anymore in Germany!

07-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #221
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
Wow someone shortened their forum typing, they must be completely illiterate!

Yes i'm sure as a Spaniard you don't want the 2nd largest contributor to leave

All banter though, my soon to be brother in law is Spanish (sister lives in Spain) and your country is lovely
True story. You don't have to be Spanish to live in Spain. That's one of the beauties of the EU....a thing called free passage and the right to work across any country....

Sadly this could be lost as a result of Brexit.
      07-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #222
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

For those in the UK, I had an MPE installed yesterday for my M2 from a main dealer. This ruling might slip into EU/UK law at some point but right now, we're still 'free'!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #223
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
For those in the UK, I had an MPE installed yesterday for my M2 from a main dealer. This ruling might slip into EU/UK law at some point but right now, we're still 'free'!
You are leaving the EU anyhow... one day

MR
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #224
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
True story. You don't have to be Spanish to live in Spain. That's one of the beauties of the EU....a thing called free passage and the right to work across any country....

I'm fairly sure many people travel for work or live in other countries around the world without requiring EU membership or freedom of movement, it's just not as easy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #225
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
You are leaving the EU anyhow... one day

MR
Haha we will see. I think it's got to a point where no one really knows what direction anything is going anymore haha. That said, we're set to adopt EU law during our transition and if this becomes part of that, I very much doubt it will be re-evaluated. I doubt many of our MPs would vote in favour of encouraging people to have louder cars
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #226
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm fairly sure many people travel for work or live in other countries around the world without requiring EU membership or freedom of movement, it's just not as easy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day
You're having a losing argument with somebody who travels around the world frequently for work.

I live in Spain but work in several countries by choice. Once Brexit happens I will have to get endless work and residential visas and I'll also have huge swathes of paperwork to manage for my family annually.

I've lost a huge amount of my savings and pension thanks to Brexit. Moreover my job has also been placed at risk and also my freedom of movement that I need for my job is also at risk.

Forgive me for sounding cynical but as much as I love my cars and the epic noise some can make, I value my family above some quite frankly insignificant noise regulations, so whatever anyone says; I will always consider Brexit a massive bag of turd and the rational for it, moronic.

Putting it into context, if I lose my job, I, and many other hundreds of thousands will no longer be able to afford nice cars and accessories so what does it then matter if they are louder. Point made?
      07-26-2018, 07:12 AM   #227
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You're having a losing argument with somebody who travels around the world frequently for work.

I live in Spain but work in several countries by choice. Once Brexit happens I will have to get endless work and residential visas and I'll also have huge swathes of paperwork to manage for my family annually.

I've lost a huge amount of my savings and pension thanks to Brexit. Moreover my job has also been placed at risk and also my freedom of movement that I need for my job is also at risk.

Forgive me for sounding cynical but as much as I love my cars and the epic noise some can make, I value my family above some quite frankly insignificant noise regulations, so whatever anyone says; I will always consider Brexit a massive bag of turd and the rational for it, moronic.

Putting it into context, if I lose my job, I, and many other hundreds of thousands will no longer be able to afford nice cars and accessories so what does it then matter if they are louder. Point made?
I was no means making a sweeping generalisation that 'the EU sucks because of exhaust noise restrictions'. There are far more important things in the world, that we can both agree on.

I too travel internationally. I work for a US company, travel frequently to the US and work in a UK-based office with members from nearly every member of the EU. Our company and my job depends on EU and non-EU trade. I also travel and work in many countries within the EU including our European-based offices.

I fully appreciate your view and situation and I have no doubt leaving the EU will affect the lives of many others too. Equally, I am also entitled (as are others) to the view that remaining a part of the EU may be detrimental to many other families in different situations.

Being a member of the EU is neither 100% positive nor 100% negative (hence the result). Millions of people voted on their anecdotal and where possible (I hope) a wider understanding of the consequences of leaving or staying.

Everyone has their own views, principles and beliefs. Being able to act on those values is the beauty of democracy, something I hope we can all agree is a good thing.

I fully respect your view and the views of anyone who voted to leave or remain. Personally, I find it abhorrent when discussions around this subject turn into a mindless mud-slinging matches and only wish the entire discussion was more respectful and informative leading up to this point.

I hope for the sake of your family and many others around the world that may be affected by the UK leaving the EU, the longer term consequences produce a net positive result. Only time will tell.

In an effort to stay on topic (so the mods don't start telling us off), I am sure car manufacturers will find a way to make cars sound just as exiting in newer cars, regardless of regulations on 'button control'. As long as it doesn't involve ASD!
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2018, 07:45 AM   #228
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was no means making a sweeping generalisation that 'the EU sucks because of exhaust noise restrictions'. There are far more important things in the world, that we can both agree on.

I too travel internationally. I work for a US company, travel frequently to the US and work in a UK-based office with members from nearly every member of the EU. Our company and my job depends on EU and non-EU trade. I also travel and work in many countries within the EU including our European-based offices.

I fully appreciate your view and situation and I have no doubt leaving the EU will affect the lives of many others too. Equally, I am also entitled (as are others) to the view that remaining a part of the EU may be detrimental to many other families in different situations.

Being a member of the EU is neither 100% positive nor 100% negative (hence the result). Millions of people voted on their anecdotal and where possible (I hope) a wider understanding of the consequences of leaving or staying.

Everyone has their own views, principles and beliefs. Being able to act on those values is the beauty of democracy, something I hope we can all agree is a good thing.

I fully respect your view and the views of anyone who voted to leave or remain. Personally, I find it abhorrent when discussions around this subject turn into a mindless mud-slinging matches and only wish the entire discussion was more respectful and informative leading up to this point.

I hope for the sake of your family and many others around the world that may be affected by the UK leaving the EU, the longer term consequences produce a net positive result. Only time will tell.

In an effort to stay on topic (so the mods don't start telling us off), I am sure car manufacturers will find a way to make cars sound just as exiting in newer cars, regardless of regulations on 'button control'. As long as it doesn't involve ASD!
Couldn't agree more with your last point.

As an avid pistonhead, I dread the whole push for electric. Noise is a massive part of the thrill when driving....
      07-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #229
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Another thing not possible in Europe.... We cannot see or read anything from Caranddriver in Europe.

MR
There's only one thing to do about that...VPN!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #230
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

I will probably get flamed for this, but why do they call it "performance" exhaust anyway? It does not increase performance, only makes it louder.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #231
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
I will probably get flamed for this, but why do they call it "performance" exhaust anyway? It does not increase performance, only makes it louder.
Because phonetically speaking it's "Purr-formance".
      07-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #232
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post

M Performance is the brand name.

Don't worry, there won't be any need for an exhaust soon once you buy your 2028 M3 EV
Appreciate 3
      07-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #233
phuksi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 640i / GT5

Getting back a bit closer to the topic...

My bad luck and unfortunate timing caused my order for M Performance Exhaust to be cancelled by two dealerships. I tried to order one to be delivered from Germany to Finland.

One of the dealers said they have no information but deliveries are put on hold and the product is not available. Another dealer I contacted said they have been informed by BMW that majority of M performance exhaust are too loud according to new rules. BMW has placed a shipping hold most of the performance exhausts and is now discussing with German authorities about the rules and how to interpret them. According to the dealer they are not allowed to ship anywhere even outside Germany.

Seems that auto industry is really on their toes and careful now. Must be because of the diesel emission that became astronomically expensive for VW and still ongoing with the other makers.

-p
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:19 AM   #234
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
M Performance is the brand name.

Don't worry, there won't be any need for an exhaust soon once you buy your 2028 M3 EV
You missed my point... why the fuss over a louder exhaust that's only function is to make you louder? I could understand if it actually increased power, but it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:57 AM   #235
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuksi View Post
Getting back a bit closer to the topic...

My bad luck and unfortunate timing caused my order for M Performance Exhaust to be cancelled by two dealerships. I tried to order one to be delivered from Germany to Finland.

One of the dealers said they have no information but deliveries are put on hold and the product is not available. Another dealer I contacted said they have been informed by BMW that majority of M performance exhaust are too loud according to new rules. BMW has placed a shipping hold most of the performance exhausts and is now discussing with German authorities about the rules and how to interpret them. According to the dealer they are not allowed to ship anywhere even outside Germany.

Seems that auto industry is really on their toes and careful now. Must be because of the diesel emission that became astronomically expensive for VW and still ongoing with the other makers.

-p
Basically it's all VWs fault again
      08-14-2018, 03:37 AM   #236
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
This is why ppl wanted brexit, get those EU ninnies TF outta there!
I'm sick to death of all these nannying EU rules. Life is becoming impossible. If we ever get the chance to vote in France I shall definitely vote for a FREXIT. In the meantime I wish the British the best of luck with BREXIT. Show the Europeans the finger !!!
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #237
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I'm sick to death of all these nannying EU rules. Life is becoming impossible. If we ever get the chance to vote in France I shall definitely vote for a FREXIT. In the meantime I wish the British the best of luck with BREXIT. Show the Europeans the finger !!!
Yes, I’m sure all the chronic (and acute) problems that France has been experiencing can be blamed on the EU, never on the French.

That being said, and loving France as I do, our forum community shouldn’t worry about the MPE. In a few years once the now electric future becomes present, you’ll yearn for the exotic sound of a nice turbo 4 cyl.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00
      08-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #238
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes, I’m sure all the chronic (and acute) problems that France has been experiencing can be blamed on the EU, never on the French.

That being said, and loving France as I do, our forum community shouldn’t worry about the MPE. In a few years once the now electric future becomes present, you’ll yearn for the exotic sound of a nice turbo 4 cyl.
Someone stateside could probable make a good business by simply buying and sending eastwards US spec M2C MPE's to Euro M2C owners.....

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #239
///M TOWN
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.99]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Another thing not possible in Europe.... We cannot see or read anything from Caranddriver in Europe.

MR
Your not missing much
      09-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #240
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Just got an update from BMW South Africa. The MPE has failed homologation and will not be released to any Southern hemisphere country. I am assuming the same will follow for all European regions. - this is so stupid!
- 2008 E92 ///M3 - AW, CF Leather Trim, 6MT - Mods: Black Grills, Black Gills, CF mirrors - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #241
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
Just got an update from BMW South Africa. The MPE has failed homologation and will not be released to any Southern hemisphere country. I am assuming the same will follow for all European regions. - this is so stupid!
Good, be happy... You can get a decent exhaust, not just some overpriced axle back thing with a crappy remote.

MR
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #242
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
soo... is a Lamborghini going to be any quieter as a result of this new law, or does it just make it more expensive to make noise?
Appreciate 0