BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 2020 M2c, sell with new tires, or less $

03-19-2024, 08:51 PM   #1
nbdeegala
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

2020 M2c, sell with new tires, or less $

I’m about to sell my 2020 Sunset M2c, with 18k miles on it. The car is in perfect condition. But the tires are almost ready to be replaced. I was going to give the buyer the option to either get a brand new set of OEM or $1000 off the sale price, because that’s what it costs me for new tires. I guess the question is, is it better to show the car with new tires or give the buyer the option?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I was only in the car business for 6 years, but the rule is; a crap car is ok to sell with crap tires, but a good car needs good tires. You're in MD, don't cheap out, put a set of PS4S on there and add them to the price.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:43 PM   #3
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

When I see a car with old dated or used up tires for sale I typically walk away. I see it as a sign the car was not well maintained. If the owner didn’t care enough about his own safety or was too cheap to buy new tires there is a high probability IMO routine and preventative maintenance were skipped.

Replace them and just add the cost in.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:09 AM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I wouldn’t care. I would take the credit and install the tires I want.
      03-20-2024, 06:34 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd leave the worn tires on IF:
-they are the original tires from new
-not showing abnormal wear patterns
-still have a little life left in them, not thru the wear bars

To me this would help validate that this car was not tracked or driven terribly hard, and with a $credit it is also a plus for anybody who isn't an MP4S lover. Otherwise I'd put a new set on it.
Appreciate 2
philth198.50
      03-20-2024, 06:47 AM   #6
philth
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I wouldn’t care. I would take the credit and install the tires I want.
I’m of this mindset - especially if you have proof that the car was taken care of otherwise. And no abnormal wear/tear/tracking on the rubber. Not everyone wants Michelins, or stock size rubber.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2024, 07:23 AM   #7
nbdeegala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
When I see a car with old dated or used up tires for sale I typically walk away. I see it as a sign the car was not well maintained. If the owner didn’t care enough about his own safety or was too cheap to buy new tires there is a high probability IMO routine and preventative maintenance were skipped.

Replace them and just add the cost in.
Cost is not an issue. Just curious from a buyers perspective if they prefer the option to get what they want vs getting the OEM tires. Some people like to change the whole wheel setup. The credit would be a welcome option for those.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:33 AM   #8
nbdeegala
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys. Love the logical but varying perspectives here. The car is in mint condition otherwise, and the tires still have a few miles left in them. I just wanted to give the buyer the option to either change tires/wheels, or get a brand new set of tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:11 AM   #9
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

If the car is really in mint condition (i.e. garaged 24/7 since new, never on a winter road and perhaps never in rain, zero cosmetic or mechanical needs), I would install a new set of PS4S in stock sizes and put it on BaT or C&B. Follow high auction prep standards set by a few on those platforms (I've sold on both), target May-June timeframe. Particularly if the car is a 6MT slicktop... Note that if you want to go the BaT route, there is a pretty good backup at times, so plan ahead. Last September I tired to list a 20 year owned ZHP for my daughter, and I had a hard time getting BaT to interact with me on the posting without a lot of lag. I jumped to C&B and had a fantastic experience with quick interaction turnaround, and when I finally approved the listing, it went live the next day (versus BaT telling me it would 3-4 weeks once at that point).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2024, 10:21 AM   #10
RS2OOO
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

If the tyres are still legal I would advertise the car as it is, with no mention of the tyres (tires).
When the buyer comes to view, if they seem serious about buying, drop it into conversation that it is still on the original tyres and it was your intention to replace them, but since you haven't got round to it and know they'll need changing soon you'll accept $1000 less than asking price.

Buyer may turn around and say, you know what, call it $1250 and I'll do a deal today.

If you spend $1000 on tyres and add it into price, the buyer is still going to want to negotiate some kind of deal for a bit of money off. My method hopefully avoids that and puts more money in your pocket overall.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2024, 11:26 AM   #11
nbdeegala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS2OOO View Post
If the tyres are still legal I would advertise the car as it is, with no mention of the tyres (tires).
When the buyer comes to view, if they seem serious about buying, drop it into conversation that it is still on the original tyres and it was your intention to replace them, but since you haven't got round to it and know they'll need changing soon you'll accept $1000 less than asking price.

Buyer may turn around and say, you know what, call it $1250 and I'll do a deal today.

If you spend $1000 on tyres and add it into price, the buyer is still going to want to negotiate some kind of deal for a bit of money off. My method hopefully avoids that and puts more money in your pocket overall.
I like it! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:47 AM   #12
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdeegala View Post
Cost is not an issue. Just curious from a buyers perspective if they prefer the option to get what they want vs getting the OEM tires. Some people like to change the whole wheel setup. The credit would be a welcome option for those.
I hear ya. At least, I assume, you have a matched set of tires. Nothing worse than than mixed matched used stuff.

Do you have a tire thread gauge? Get a measurement all around and see what is actually left. This could help you if there is decent enough tread left to sell as is as long as you can show an interested buyer a true number to set them at ease.

GLWS!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 04:14 PM   #13
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

If the car is truly perfect, I’d write the check for tires and really play up the fact that it has, quite literally, brand new tires in the ad. It’s a hard sell to say “it’s low miles and perfect condition, except for the worn tires.”
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 06:22 AM   #14
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Everyone has a different perspective. If I came to look at your car and it had new but cheap tires (cause thats what you're getting for $1000, not PSS), it would make me think the rest of the car was maintained the cheapest way too, so given the choice, I'd rather see the car on good rubber even if a bit on the low side.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 12:19 PM   #15
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I'd rather see a set of "almost worn out" original tires on a used car. That way I can see the driving habits of the previous owner. If the tires have 18k miles on them then they were not tracked or used for burn outs.

Also if a used car has new tires at low mileage then that's a red flag to me.
Appreciate 0