BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > TTY / Stretch bolts (Thrust Arm)

06-17-2020, 04:54 AM   #1
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
TTY / Stretch bolts (Thrust Arm)

I am new to BMWs when I purchased my 2018 in late 2017. Starting to do more modding and typically do the work myself. Something that is new to me is TTY / Stretch bolts. Right now I am replacing the Thrust arm bushings to monoball and am wondering if I have to buy new bolts on the monoball end and a new nut on the ball joint end. I am a bit confused on the terms "replace" and "renew" when it comes to the information about the bolts. For example, I think I was supposed to buy new bolts for the stress plate when I upgraded the FMIC, but I didn't.

Question 1: If I follow what BMW recommends, should I replace the bolt ("renew" per the manual) and the nut ("replace" per the manual) on the Thrust Arm?

Question 2: What does "replace" vs. "renew" mean? Replace to me seems to imply "put back in" and "renew" imply make new (or does that mean clean up like new vs. put new ones in)?

And these don't seems to line up the terms "replace" and "renew":

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnYrNqcnz

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnXmR3c3Q

Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I am new to BMWs when I purchased my 2018 in late 2017. Starting to do more modding and typically do the work myself. Something that is new to me is TTY / Stretch bolts. Right now I am replacing the Thrust arm bushings to monoball and am wondering if I have to buy new bolts on the monoball end and a new nut on the ball joint end. I am a bit confused on the terms "replace" and "renew" when it comes to the information about the bolts. For example, I think I was supposed to buy new bolts for the stress plate when I upgraded the FMIC, but I didn't.

Question 1: If I follow what BMW recommends, should I replace the bolt ("renew" per the manual) and the nut ("replace" per the manual) on the Thrust Arm?

Question 2: What does "replace" vs. "renew" mean? Replace to me seems to imply "put back in" and "renew" imply make new (or does that mean clean up like new vs. put new ones in)?

And these don't seems to line up the terms "replace" and "renew":

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnYrNqcnz

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnXmR3c3Q

Thanks for your thoughts!
General rule of thumb is if BMW quote just a torque figure then you could reuse the bolts.

If bmw quote torque figure and then + x deg then that's usually a sign of a single use bolt.

Personally - TS/UCA m12 is a critical item about to take more load/wear with a mball bushing, I'm replacing mine with new as have Bimmerworld bushed TS/UCA to add to my m2 in the next week/10d

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Next question...just got my ball joint removal tool and it's not easy jamming that thing in there properly. Any tips getting the ball joint out? I had that tool so stressed that I was sliding my 180lbs body across the floor pushing on the wrench and finally took it off because I thought I might be doing something wrong or would break the tool. Taking a break for an hour before trying again. Thoughts? Anyone else do this themselves?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

I assume you're referring to the ball joint in the hub/knuckle? If so, try a rubber mallet. I've used a rubber mallet for your years when removing those type of ball joints. They eventually pop out without issues at all. Great DIY method.