BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My BMW M2 Competition was stolen - See how (VIDEO)

03-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #111
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
My biggest takeaway is to buy a faraday bag/box and just store my keys in there when i get home. Might just do that.

Or... just put both sets of keys inside your refrigerator!!

Seriously, this is what the German Polizei tell Germans who live on the Eastern border with Poland and Czech.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 01:49 AM   #112
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Apparently, what I learned recently is vehicle theft are way more prevalent in parts of Europe than they are the US, hence the reason BMW integrated a "deadlock" to the vehicle's security, in those regions.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25595520
Yeah I don't understand why car theft in Europe is so much more common.
This is my ignorant assumption but I'm guessing car thieves are more resourceful and have better technology to circumvent the vehicle's security apparatus in Europe, than they do in the US :
No! It's financial. There's no money in Euro car thefts here. Japanese cars are a different story altogether. We are always tracking stolen Honda's, and most recently Kia's and Hyundai's (...the latter two, while not Japanese, are a more recent trend).
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-15-2020, 02:22 AM   #113
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

I had a colleague who had his X5 nicked in 15 seconds using the "relay" method from his comfort access. They stole 3 cars in a minute from the same street. They were pros.

When he got the local police involved etc they said there's a run on Porsche's and BMW's here and they both had this same flaw with comfort access keys.

Apparently when chatting with the police about his car he asked if they'd spoken to the manufacturers about this issue. The police said they'd asked Porsche what they were doing to fix this problem and Porsche replied with words to the effect "most owners have a large property or a high apartment/penthouse and as such they key is sufficiently far enough away from the car to become inactive" or to put it another way - this is not much of a problem because our owners are cashed up and have massive properties
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #114
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Key signal blocker:

03-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #115
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Same theft technique (only works if the car features keyless entry, such as BMW Comfort Access):

03-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #116
nidfix
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

If I understand well the issue is only with comfort feature that allows us to open the car without even using the buttons on the remote.
From usage point of view the difference between disabling that comfort feature and relying only on "old fashion button on the fob" vs having one of these bags that you have to open each and every time you want to open/open or even start the car ?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #117
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidfix View Post
If I understand well the issue is only with comfort feature that allows us to open the car without even using the buttons on the remote.
From usage point of view the difference between disabling that comfort feature and relying only on "old fashion button on the fob" vs having one of these bags that you have to open each and every time you want to open/open or even start the car ?
I just leave the key in the bag when at home. When I'm actually using my car it stays in my pocket. Keep each set of car keys in a different bag and grab the one I need when I leave the house, it's not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #118
nidfix
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I just leave the key in the bag when at home. When I'm actually using my car it stays in my pocket. Keep each set of car keys in a different bag and grab the one I need when I leave the house, it's not a big deal.
So regardless of the fact that it could happen in many other cases (restaurant, shopping etc.), you only secure the key when you are at home.

Why simply in that case?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #119
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I don't get why you love CA so much that you'd want this kind of security flaw?

Even when I had it on previous cars I always prefered pressing the fob button to lock / unlock when leaving / approaching the car rather than mess about wasting time trying to touch the door handle in 6 different ways to get it to lock.

Usually wife / kids are ahead of me when coming back to the car or leaving the house, so again the fob button wins.

Just avoid CA and avoid this theft risk.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #120
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So regardless of the fact that it could happen in many other cases (restaurant, shopping etc.), you only secure the key when you are at home.

Why simply in that case?
LOL, in a restaurant or shop the car would need to be out front and then some goon frantically running around in a mask infront of the shop window in broad daylight with a small suitcase in his hands trying to activate a key when they don't even know the driver is there.

This kind of theft is reserved for night time outside the home when car and key are sure to be nearby and they have a few minutes quiet time to work on it.
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      03-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #121
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Probably a dumb question, but if Comfort Access is what allows this, can you code it off? Maybe with BimmerCode?
      03-16-2020, 01:16 AM   #122
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Probably a dumb question, but if Comfort Access is what allows this, can you code it off? Maybe with BimmerCode?
Yes. Disable CA then problem over.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:41 AM   #123
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
I rather my car get stolen than lose the Comfort Access feature, that's why God invented insurance..

I just hope they make it disappear, if that's not too much to ask...

Seriously, cars don't get stolen like that here in the US anymore, with modern security, it's very hard to bypass the immobilizer security the manufacture uses, in which the key fob and CAS system exchange "rolling codes," in which a sequence change in security code is transmitted, every time the car is started or locked. It is very hard to capture the exact code and duplicate the same function to another device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

This is no longer the '80, where you can hot-wire a car and drive off into the sunset, in modern vehicles, If the key fob immobilizer code is unrecognized, the ECU will not allow the fuel to flow and ignition to take place, thus, it will not start.

Those guys in the OP's video is the outlier types, they were probably part of a car theft crew, It's not the typical dirt bags that most vehicles would be exposed to, in its lifetime.

In my teens, I used to know some car thieves, in passing, it was a Vice-like experience and gave me insight into works and obstacles. Modern security has put a kibosh on the hustle, which renders most automobiles 4,000lbs paper weight - unless the dummy owner left the key in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 03:33 AM   #124
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:

Why simply in that case?
Quote:
LOL, in a restaurant or shop the car would need to be out front and then some goon frantically running around in a mask infront of the shop window in broad daylight with a small suitcase in his hands trying to activate a key when they don't even know the driver is there.

This kind of theft is reserved for night time outside the home when car and key are sure to be nearby and they have a few minutes quiet time to work on it.
Yeah, at the house the key for a particular car parked in front is going to be one logical place, inside the house and they can try a relay attack by getting as close as possible to the house while the owner is likely asleep.

Anywhere else it's a crapshoot and not worth their time and effort to identify both the car and owner as well as not look conspicuous running around trying to do a relay attack out in the open.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 04:52 AM   #125
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I rather my car get stolen than lose the Comfort Access feature, that's why God invented insurance..

Seriously, cars don't get stolen like that here in the US anymore, with modern security, it's very hard to bypass the immobilizer security the manufacture uses, in which the key fob and CAS system exchange "rolling codes," in which a sequence change in security code is transmitted, every time the car is started or locked. It is very hard to capture the exact code and duplicate the same function to another device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

This is no longer the '80, where you can hot-wire a car and drive off into the sunset, in modern vehicles, If the key fob immobilizer code is unrecognized, the ECU will not allow the fuel to flow and ignition to take place, thus, it will not start.

Those guys in the OP's video is the outlier types, they were probably part of a car theft crew, It's not the typical dirt bags that most vehicles would be exposed to, in its lifetime.

In my teens, I used to know some car thieves, in passing, it was a Vice-like experience and gave me insight into works and obstacles. Modern security has put a kibosh on the hustle, which renders most automobiles 4,000lbs paper weight - unless the dummy owner left the key in the cabin.
Not true, most comfort access keys can be woken, the signal relayed and the car opened and started as if they had the key in less than 20 seconds with equipment you can get off the web. Switching off comfort access or securely storing your key will avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:04 AM   #126
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I think you're missing the point, this relay method allows them to open and start and drive away the car with no key. As it is your real key talking to the car, Just with the signal being relayed from a distance.

But without CA they can't open the car to start the process.

I'm glad i find CA pretty useless. So i didn't order it. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #127
M3 Alex
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP M3 - Avus Blue

I put my keys in a faraday box and my M2 is kept in the garage. A thief would essentially have to break into the house to get the keys and open the garage. If that happens, I have bigger things to worry about (like keeping my family safe. Who cares about a car!?).
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #128
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Can CA be disabled via BimmerCode?

And if so, specifically how?

TIA
      03-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #129
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not true, most comfort access keys can be woken, the signal relayed and the car opened and started as if they had the key in less than 20 seconds with equipment you can get off the web. Switching off comfort access or securely storing your key will avoid it.
Yea? And a potential thief can rig your car up to a tow hook I'll and be gone with it, in under 19 seconds, if they really want it..

However, most of guys are worried over nothing but whatever helps you sleep better at night..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #130
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Now I know why the M2 CS does not come with Comfort Access. So it cant get stolen! It all comes together now.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #131
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea? And a potential thief can rig your car up to a tow hook I'll and be gone with it, in under 19 seconds, if they really want it..

However, most of guys are worried over nothing but whatever helps you sleep better at night..
Have you tried towing a DCT car? Love to see turn put a tow hook on and drag it from my garage. There's no way to put it forcefully put it into neutral without starting it

The thieves that take cars using the relay method area well planned. The first time my mate knew his X5 was going was the engine starting as it drove off. No home invasion, simple technology and no damage to the cars. Even thieves consider risks and this CA relay method is common amongst many high end cars making it the path of least resistance. $10 signal blocking bag removes a lot of that risk.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #132
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried towing a DCT car? Love to see turn put a tow hook on and drag it from my garage. There's no way to put it forcefully put it into neutral without starting it

The thieves that take cars using the relay method area well planned. The first time my mate knew his X5 was going was the engine starting as it drove off. No home invasion, simple technology and no damage to the cars. Even thieves consider risks and this CA relay method is common amongst many high end cars making it the path of least resistance. $10 signal blocking bag removes a lot of that risk.
You then just tow from the two non-drive wheels, move it down the block and then remove the transmission pawl.. You think thieves doesn't think of that..

I'm not saying vehicles doesn't get stolen, that's my point, it happens. However, my perspective is all fear-mongering is unnecessary because most cars are not in a position to be stolen..

That's why some folks that live in some rural US states are charged dirt cheap insurance rates, for comprehensive coverage because the insurance companies knows something you don't, that it's very unlikely to be bagged.
Appreciate 0