BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Crankhub Fix

06-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #67
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
Detail please...
He doesn't post much, and I'm not sure you want to see the pix, but...

M2Pilot
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #68
M2Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2 6MT

After a huge fight on what BMW considers a “leak” from the oil pan gasket at 9k miles (apparently seeping not dripping yet is not a leak). The dealer did an oil change and somehow spilt oil all over the engine bay.

Basically DTA even you dealer. No one other than me will touch the car while I own it again.
      06-28-2023, 12:25 AM   #69
Navy Davy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Anyone know of a reputable shop to do the crankhub fix in the CT/NY area?

Is the SSR keyed 4 pin crank hub the best to use for this fix? Would doing a capture plate in addition to this be overkill?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #70
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Davy View Post
Anyone know of a reputable shop to do the crankhub fix in the CT/NY area?

Is the SSR keyed 4 pin crank hub the best to use for this fix? Would doing a capture plate in addition to this be overkill?
AutoCouture in NJ
Navy Davy220.00
      06-28-2023, 02:25 PM   #71
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Pilot View Post
After a huge fight on what BMW considers a “leak” from the oil pan gasket at 9k miles (apparently seeping not dripping yet is not a leak). The dealer did an oil change and somehow spilt oil all over the engine bay.

Basically DTA even you dealer. No one other than me will touch the car while I own it again.
Good call. I do my my own oil changes. Super easy to do. The hardest part is jacking up the car.

Next I want to change my rear diff and MT transmission oil. Also want to do an engine coolant flush this year at some point.

Doing it all myself. I don’t trust shops these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 03:02 PM   #72
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I breathed a sigh of relief when my car went out of warranty, and no BMW dealer will ever touch it again. More damn BMW dealer horror stories than Chevrolet dealer horror stories. That shit isn't right.
Even when mine was in warranty it never went to BMW for a anything except the compulsory run in service, they're just a shambles of incompetent / arrogant people.

Thankfully in the UK / EU you can go anywhere for service and as long as you have proof of use of OE or equal parts for service they can't then deny any warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #73
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Joe Achilles money shifted his M2C and his initial assessment is that the hub spinning may actually have saved him from a more damage.

IMO a SCH is always the result of driver error and locking the hub will only result in more significant damage.
Joe in his own admittance doesn't have a clue about mechanics.

If the hub didn't slip (like any other "normal" car with a solid cam drive) then the valves wouldn't hit the pistons unless the rpm is so so high that they contact due to valve bounce, but not slipped timing.

But moneyshift with valve bounce contact and then slipped timing which means contact can continue after high rpm incident is double bad.

Slipping crank hub adds a whole other dimension of extra damage possibilities to the situation even at non dangerous rpm.

All this BS about it being a safety feature demonstrates lack of understanding of the mechanism at play.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
chris7197334.00
      06-28-2023, 05:20 PM   #74
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Thankfully in the UK / EU you can go anywhere for service and as long as you have proof of use of OE or equal parts for service they can't then deny any warranty claims.
Holy crap that's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 06:22 PM   #75
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Holy crap that's awesome!
That applies with the USA as well with Magnusson moss.
///MPhatic13862.50
      06-28-2023, 06:52 PM   #76
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Just be prepared, if the time comes, to battle a global behemoth in the court of law. It’s easy to reference the law as a safeguard, but we rarely talk about the arduous process of actually holding a dealer or manufacturer responsible for any infractions regarding said law.
Appreciate 1
m2ss1790.00
      06-28-2023, 07:02 PM   #77
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Just be prepared, if the time comes, to battle a global behemoth in the court of law. It’s easy to reference the law as a safeguard, but we rarely talk about the arduous process of actually holding a dealer or manufacturer responsible for any infractions regarding said law.
Generally if it is something small then BMW won't make a huge fuss out of it, if it is an engine or a drive train part they will send a head tech down to inspect everything and make sure you didn't have a tune or do something wrong.

Subaru used to take oil analysis to ensure you used the right oil and that the oil wasn't too old before they would repair blown sti engines.

But overall they shouldn't make it a court battle if you did everything right (didn't tune the car, use LL01 oil, used bmw certified parts etc) because it would ruin the brand image.
      06-29-2023, 05:32 AM   #78
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Yup, welcome to reality...
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      06-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #79
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's not so bad here, all the manufacturers are settled with the rules that they cannot stipulate franchise dealer servicing to maintain warranty, it's been that way for years.

It's just a car FFS, follow the service guide and use OE quality parts no problem. It only needs an oil change every 2 years in EU.

They have to allow 3rd parties access to in car service logs etc.

My indy has genuine BMW service centre ID and can put the service details in the I-drive just like any BMW dealer does.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #80
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
It's not so bad here, all the manufacturers are settled with the rules that they cannot stipulate franchise dealer servicing to maintain warranty, it's been that way for years.

It's just a car FFS, follow the service guide and use OE quality parts no problem. It only needs an oil change every 2 years in EU.

They have to allow 3rd parties access to in car service logs etc.

My indy has genuine BMW service centre ID and can put the service details in the I-drive just like any BMW dealer does.
That's super interesting to hear about an independent having a genuine BMW service center ID! I know in Canada that does not exist, but I'm not sure about here in the US.
BYEBY30.00
      06-30-2023, 08:19 AM   #81
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Part of the EU/UK laws to make manufacturers open up servicing is that they have to make all the required systems available to 3rd parties too.

This is all manufacturers.

I.e. programming and diagnostics systems and tools, parts catalogues, online database like puma etc.

If the vehicles have onboard service logging then they have to make that available too.

For a fee of course, but even BMW dealers have to pay BMW, nothing is free.

Last edited by doughboy; 06-30-2023 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 1