BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Rev Matching - How to turn it off with no side effects

09-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #23
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Wanted to report back after coding today.

The code is great! I love everything about it EXCEPT now I'm finding the hill assist hinders more than it helps. Case in point, there's a stop sign at the top of a fairly steep hill that I've driven on at least a million times and I never have trouble with it. Immediately after coding I took the route that lead me to that stop sign and I stalled out twice in a row from a standing stop. I felt that the hill assist just really didn't want to release and required a heavier throttle application along with more clutch feathering than usual to overcome on the third try.

Now I'm wondering if I can code out the hill assist too as I really don't need it. It was novel before but now I feel like it's fighting me instead with coding auto rev match off.

Otherwise the code sequence is fantastic and feels like DSC fully off in regards to no rev-hang and auto rev match off. A return to a more "natural" state with the exception of still having traction control as a safety net*.

*Traction: cannot confirm this yet because I really did not hoon the thing after coding. I'm just assuming traction control is still active based on my road impressions.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #24
Happy77
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Wanted to report back after coding today.

The code is great! I love everything about it EXCEPT now I'm finding the hill assist hinders more than it helps. Case in point, there's a stop sign at the top of a fairly steep hill that I've driven on at least a million times and I never have trouble with it. Immediately after coding I took the route that lead me to that stop sign and I stalled out twice in a row from a standing stop. I felt that the hill assist just really didn't want to release and required a heavier throttle application along with more clutch feathering than usual to overcome on the third try.

Now I'm wondering if I can code out the hill assist too as I really don't need it. It was novel before but now I feel like it's fighting me instead with coding auto rev match off.

Otherwise the code sequence is fantastic and feels like DSC fully off in regards to no rev-hang and auto rev match off. A return to a more "natural" state with the exception of still having traction control as a safety net*.

*Traction: cannot confirm this yet because I really did not hoon the thing after coding. I'm just assuming traction control is still active based on my road impressions.
Traction control is still active. I don't find your problem about hill assist
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #25
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy77 View Post
Traction control is still active. I don't find your problem about hill assist
I took the car out today and had the same issue at the same hill. I think it may be that with the throttle assist off on take off it requires more input to overcome the hill hold? This is a fairly steep hill so it might be more noticeable on a high with a higher grade? I don't know.

Anyone recall what the factory setting was? I was so excited with the code I didn't think I would need to go back to stock so I didn't note the original settings. I need to make it a habit to save settings before coding...

Current settings with rev match off and clutch+brake to start:
TCM_Startlock_Brake - aktiv
TCM_Startlock_Clutch - nicht_aktiv
TCM_Startlock_Drivingreadiness - nicht_aktiv
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 08:01 PM   #26
phild4
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 track, M2C daily

Garage List
2006 M3  [0.00]
2018 X3  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Just coded out rev matching using these steps in my 2020. Old thread, but wanted to add a vote of confidence for anyone checking it out. Hill assist works fine. The only thing different for me was that I found "TCM_Startlock_Drivingreadiness" was already set to "nicht_aktiv"
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 03:32 PM   #27
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

You don't have to heel and toe to rev match, to be honest that's for the track or really hard driving / very late braking.

Just drive normal I.e get your braking done before the corner, off the brake, quick throttle blip and down shift and turn in, easy no need to heel and toe.

I turned of rev match with Bm3 map, but yes can do with bimmercode as mentioned.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000740.50
      03-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #28
Dr.Mark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

I just saw this thread. So today I turned off DSC to get rid of rev match. Holy cow! The car shifts so much better getting into first or second. NO stuttering or rough shifts. I am now very disappointed that rev match works as shitty as it does for the first 2 gears. It does work perfect for 3rd gear and up.
Appreciate 1
Brandt51889.00
      03-03-2023, 01:48 AM   #29
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
I took the car out today and had the same issue at the same hill. I think it may be that with the throttle assist off on take off it requires more input to overcome the hill hold? This is a fairly steep hill so it might be more noticeable on a high with a higher grade? I don't know.

Anyone recall what the factory setting was? I was so excited with the code I didn't think I would need to go back to stock so I didn't note the original settings. I need to make it a habit to save settings before coding...

Current settings with rev match off and clutch+brake to start:
TCM_Startlock_Brake - aktiv
TCM_Startlock_Clutch - nicht_aktiv
TCM_Startlock_Drivingreadiness - nicht_aktiv
Does this coding disable the clutch related anti stall feature? This is aimed at helping less experienced manual drivers...

With it on you can pull away gently with no throttle input, ie creeping in traffic, with it off you'll stall if you try that.

You can check it easy: engine running, in 1st gear, stationary, flat surface, brakes off, clutch down.

Gently release clutch to the biting point, do not touch gas, if the idle raises about 300rpm then its still working, if not then it's disabled and you will need to adjust your right foot accordingly...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #30
CptSL0W
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 WRX/21 M2C 6MT (Ordered)

I’ve been thinking about doing this since I got my M2C in 2021. I have a veepak, but I’m nervous about glitches. Is there a way to revert back to stock configurations if I make changes?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #31
phild4
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2006 M3  [0.00]
2018 X3  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSL0W View Post
I’ve been thinking about doing this since I got my M2C in 2021. I have a veepak, but I’m nervous about glitches. Is there a way to revert back to stock configurations if I make changes?
I had the same worry. If i understood it correctly, bimmercode records all the settings before you make an update, and then you can revert back to this save in the future. But I can't speak to how effective it is because i haven't used the feature yet
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #32
AllEyesOnMe
TeQuiero
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

^^ correct Bimmercode makes a backup when you start the app, so if things fail, you can revert. However, do look up instructions on how to do that though. I'm just paraphrasing off of what I learned... I've done this and have been driving my car for 3 months with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Does this coding disable the clutch related anti stall feature? This is aimed at helping less experienced manual drivers...

With it on you can pull away gently with no throttle input, ie creeping in traffic, with it off you'll stall if you try that.

You can check it easy: engine running, in 1st gear, stationary, flat surface, brakes off, clutch down.

Gently release clutch to the biting point, do not touch gas, if the idle raises about 300rpm then its still working, if not then it's disabled and you will need to adjust your right foot accordingly...
This purely gets rid of auto rev match and does not change anything else, eg. anti stall. However, I'd suggest you try to learn how to start from a hill just for your own knowledge.

Pull the hand brake on a hill and slowly release it while also releasing the clutch in first gear. It'll teach your muscle memory on clutch engagement point better as well.
      03-07-2023, 02:33 PM   #33
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe View Post
^^ correct Bimmercode makes a backup when you start the app, so if things fail, you can revert. However, do look up instructions on how to do that though. I'm just paraphrasing off of what I learned... I've done this and have been driving my car for 3 months with no issues.

This purely gets rid of auto rev match and does not change anything else, eg. anti stall. However, I'd suggest you try to learn how to start from a hill just for your own knowledge.

Pull the hand brake on a hill and slowly release it while also releasing the clutch in first gear. It'll teach your muscle memory on clutch engagement point better as well.
Err thanks for the tip but I can manage a hill start ..

Even if the hill start assist won't let you do it old skool with the handbrake as it keeps the footbrake on until the clutch comes up

Anti stall isn't for hill starts though its just to help bad 6MT drivers pull away from a stop

I remember other attempts by owners in the past at removing rev match with coding resulted in all clutch pedal sensor base features being disabled including hill start, one push start, anti stall etc.

Sounds like this method might work though...
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-07-2023, 02:39 PM   #34
AllEyesOnMe
TeQuiero
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Err thanks for the tip but I can manage a hill start ..

Even if the hill start assist won't let you do it old skool with the handbrake as it keeps the footbrake on until the clutch comes up

Anti stall isn't for hill starts though its just to help bad 6MT drivers pull away from a stop

I remember other attempts by owners in the past at removing rev match with coding resulted in all clutch pedal sensor base features being disabled including hill start, one push start, anti stall etc.

Sounds like this method might work though...

Correct anti stall isn't affected. I can stay rolling in 1st gear without giving it throttle and it will not stall.
      03-14-2023, 12:12 PM   #35
phild4
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2006 M3  [0.00]
2018 X3  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Didn’t notice any 300rpm jump, makes me think anti-stall has been disabled. But tbh, I’ve never seen it in action so I might be missing something
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #36
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Anti stall is one of those pointless gimmicks that manufacturers think we need when we don't.

But when you learn a car with it on, then if it goes away it can just catch you out until your right foot/brain adjusts.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #37
Phantom160
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Came here to say thank you for the solution for the rev-matching "problem"! I just bought 2018 LCI M2 and rev-matching was the first item on the chopping block. I can report that this solution still works in 2023!

I haven't tested hill assist, but the car seems to be operating just fine after this fix. One interesting detail that wasn't mentioned in this thread before: after disabling rev-matching I tried to start the engine with my foot on the brake, but with clutch released (you shouldn't do this, I was just experimenting) - the engine didn't start and the iDrive gave me an error of "warning: engine start failure" or something like this. On the one hand, this is great, as I don't want my engine to start without the clutch pressed in. On the other hand, it gave me a minor heart attack when I first saw this warning, so just be advised.

As for the people who profess love/hate for rev-matching: to each their own. It's a matter of personal preference and neither of the options is objectively better than the alternative. One thing you may want to consider though is the learning curve/feedback loop. My previous car was a naturally aspirated manual Japanese vehicle. I consider myself fully proficient with manuals, but I'm still in the process of getting used to this BMW manual, as both the clutch engagement zone and power delivery are different from my previous car. Rev-matching hindered this learning process as I didn't have the feedback loop - I couldn't tell if my shift was spot-on or crappy, because rev-matching masked my mistakes. This is not a good thing as mistakes are an important part of the learning process. I'm glad that now I can suck more, so that I can suck less in the future.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2023, 05:08 PM   #38
davigar
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I F31 M and E-46 M3

Hi, I have just disabled rev matching on my 16´ F31 330i today using bimmercode app. All was fine!

My car has 147.000 kms and CDV drilled.

By the moment, I have not noticed any collateral damage like increased RPM with gear engaged or hill assist dissabled. The only thing i have noticed is that you dont have trottle asistant while starting, but for me it´s not a problem.

Tomorrow i´ll have a track day. I hope i can gear up faster than before.

Many thanks for all!
Appreciate 0