BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 Competition Engine Tuning

07-26-2023, 02:20 PM   #67
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Can I use 265/35/19 tires in the front and 295/35/19 tires in the rear with OEM wheels on the s55 M2?

As summer is ending soon in the Northeast, I need to replace my rear Michelin Alpine 4a's. What would be the recommended tire size for the rear?

I plan to tune to BM3 Stage 1 (possibly starting with the M4 GTS Map) but have no immediate plans to go to Stage 2.
Don't ruin the car with daft oversize tyres just buy good tyres.

Pilot Sport Cup 2 standard sizes are unstickable, even on stage 2 BM3 they don't spin up, Maybe in 1st gear if you provoke it. Unbelievable grip and feel.

Cup 2 in summer, winters in winter if you drive it in winter.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #68
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Pilot Sport Cup 2 standard sizes are unstickable, even on stage 2 BM3 they don't spin up, Maybe in 1st gear if you provoke it. Unbelievable grip and feel.

Currently have MPS4s in 245/265. I would probably stick with the MPS4s if I do decide to go wider. But any reason why you recommend the Cup 2's over the MPS4s?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 04:23 PM   #69
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:

Unbelievable rubbish...
When you try a tire with a minimum of grip you will be amazed.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 01:41 AM   #70
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Currently have MPS4s in 245/265. I would probably stick with the MPS4s if I do decide to go wider. But any reason why you recommend the Cup 2's over the MPS4s?
MPS4s are a good regular tyre, but nothing compared to cup 2 grip and traction wise.

As you already run winters then it makes sense to me to get ultra high perf summers like cup 2, yes they cost more but i suppose depends on your mileage etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 01:45 AM   #71
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Unbelievable rubbish...
When you try a tire with a minimum of grip you will be amazed.
Not sure what you mean there? Minimum of grip?

I was just saying in the search for extra grip putting crazy wide tyres on just spoils the poise and feel of the car.

Cup 2 at standard sizes make an unbelievable difference to traction and improves the feel and drive of the car without extra tyre width.

If you're just thinking for track though then cup2 will be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:47 AM   #72
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean there? Minimum of grip?

I was just saying in the search for extra grip putting crazy wide tyres on just spoils the poise and feel of the car.

Cup 2 at standard sizes make an unbelievable difference to traction and improves the feel and drive of the car without extra tyre width.

If you're just thinking for track though then cup2 will be expensive.
I currently don't track the car, and it's unlikely that I will in the near future. However, I'm a bit puzzled by your preference for the Cup 2 tires over the PS4s. From what I've gathered in this community, the PS4s seem to be the clear favorite.

Could you provide specific reasons for recommending the Cup 2 tires over the PS4s? My M2C has 30k miles, and I primarily use it for daily driving in the NYC area, where road conditions are less than ideal, and wet weather is common.

For a Stage 1 tune, or at the very least Stage 0 (M4 GTS Map)--What tire sizes would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 10:15 AM   #73
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
I currently don't track the car, and it's unlikely that I will in the near future. However, I'm a bit puzzled by your preference for the Cup 2 tires over the PS4s. From what I've gathered in this community, the PS4s seem to be the clear favorite.

Could you provide specific reasons for recommending the Cup 2 tires over the PS4s? My M2C has 30k miles, and I primarily use it for daily driving in the NYC area, where road conditions are less than ideal, and wet weather is common.

For a Stage 1 tune, or at the very least Stage 0 (M4 GTS Map)--What tire sizes would you recommend?
Cup 2s have a bit more dry grip than the MP4S but can be a bit ugly in the wet. In particular they do not channel water well and are prone to hydroplaning in standing water. I personally only run Cup2's on Sunday drivers that will not typically see wet weather. They can handle it when needed but not near as well as the MP4S. Dry grip is better than the MP4S but there are better options even for that and with the ability to handle the wet better. Where the Cup2 shines is in the large selection of sizes that many performance tires do not cover. I run them on my Porsche with the street setup being 20" front / 21" rear. I like having a bit more dry grip on this car as the chances of seeing rain are slim to none. Very few other options exist in those sizes otherwise there are many other tires I would choose over the Cup2s. As a daily I would go MP4S as well.

Wheel size is going to dictate the tires as well. The F87 can be a bit tough at times to fit. What size wheels planning to run?
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #74
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I would probably not run Cup 2 on the street unless you are really unhappy with your current dry grip. The reduction in hydroplaning resistance is not really great for a daily driver.
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2023, 10:18 AM   #75
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Cup 2s have a bit more dry grip than the MP4S but can be a bit ugly in the wet. In particular they do not channel water well and are prone to hydroplaning in standing water. I personally only run Cup2's on Sunday drivers that will not typically see wet weather. They can handle it when needed but not near as well as the MP4S. Dry grip is better than the MP4S but there are better options even for that and with the ability to handle the wet better. Where the Cup2 shines is in the large selection of sizes that many performance tires do not cover. I run them on my Porsche with the street setup being 20" front / 21" rear. I like having a bit more dry grip on this car as the chances of seeing rain are slim to none. Very few other options exist in those sizes otherwise there are many other tires I would choose over the Cup2s. As a daily I would go MP4S as well.

Wheel size is going to dictate the tires as well. The F87 can be a bit tough at times to fit. What size wheels planning to run?

OEM M2C wheels

So, I'm thinking it's 19"
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 12:55 PM   #76
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Ah ok, i wouldnt recommend cup2 for a daily driver. Theyre fine in wet but have a low aquaplaning rating in standing water. But grip wise they're way way better than a regular tyre like ps4s. They're more sensitive to cold than damp, so definitely not one for anything below the 7degC summer tyre approval limit otherwise need a bit of care.

Also michelin chased comfort and wet ratings with the ps4s, making them more of an "all rounder" not quite as good as previous pss in the dry. Softer sidewalls too.

For track tyres you could go more extreme than cup2 but they are best uhp for road use.
And are fully road legal. Remember they came standard on several bmws, wheel sets and porsches etc.

For your non-track DD routine just stick with standard sizes, do you envisage hooning around full throttle launches with your tune?

If not don't worry...regular ps4s will be great.

Last edited by doughboy; 07-27-2023 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 09:05 AM   #77
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

If you live in an arid temperate climate then the cup2s can be used all year. Having run the MPS4S and Cup2 240 Connect, the 4S has softer sidewalls which forced me to use too much air pressure for twistie driving. I just couldn't get it right for feel and grip. I switched to the Cup2 and problem solved. The stiffer sidewalls allowed me to use the proper air pressure and the twisties are a joy. I tend to value a fun playful car over a tire monster. Huge tires can cause the car to feel heavy and reduce the feeling of tossability.
If I were just commuting and didn't care about the tires rolling over in hard cornering then I'd probably get the 4S but I want my M to feel crisp and stick as much as possible while keeping its playful nature.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-28-2023, 09:38 AM   #78
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I tend to value a fun playful car over a tire monster. Huge tires can cause the car to feel heavy and reduce the feeling of tossability.
+1 on the road for sure.

I keep cup 2 on all year, but the car is in the garage from late Oct-March so I don't need winters.

It's not just outright grip (which is remarkable) but the way they change feel of the whole car, they way it turns and moves over bumps and crests etc whilst remaining super sharp, quiet, compliant and civilised the whole time.

Even on stage 2 BM3 I struggle to unstick the rears in 1st or 2nd unless provoked when warm, it just goes. Whereas PSS would spin up in 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #79
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, I actually find the Cup2 240 quite civilized. They ride fine since I can use a lower air pressure. I start out at 31 cold and end up at about 34 warm. Of course a hot day In the mountain twisties and I have to let some air out. I guess I'm off topic ...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:08 PM   #80
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:

Going with wider tires than stock isn’t “ruining” the car. It’s preparing it for a life of actually being driven instead of sitting in stop and go traffic and never going above the speed limit. However those sizes are too wide for stock wheels.

Also personally am not a fan of cup 2s. Just go with ps4s, it’ll last 4x as long and have more grip that cup 2s have cold (cup 2s you will rarely ever get hot enough to grip enough on the street!)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 07:41 PM   #81
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

The 240 has a reasonably low operating temp, but I agree that it's unlikely to hit the max grip zone unless they are being worked or a lot of braking to get heat into the wheels. 80F to 180F is their "green zone" for the track connect sensors. I run them 4 seasons in NC. In my second set with the first set lasting a little over 17k miles. A couple track days on them too. I'm on my second set.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #82
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I expect to get 17k miles from my cup2 240s as well. I don't think the ps4s is going to get 4 times the mileage
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-31-2023, 01:37 PM   #83
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Cup2s are primarily designed as a fast road tyre, they get warm at road speeds unlike track specific tyres.

After a good run out mine are hot to the touch, much warmer than any pss / ps4s

3000 miles so far and no perceptible wear.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 04:01 PM   #84
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I expect to get 17k miles from my cup2 240s as well. I don't think the ps4s is going to get 4 times the mileage
Wow, maybe they improved a lot since I used the 240s last year. I went through mine after about 6k miles. The car was awd and high powered than our cars so I’m sure it didn’t help
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 05:44 AM   #85
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Are your cup2s 240 treadwear?

Mine are 180.

BMW star marked ones for M2C oe fitment.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:31 AM   #86
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are your cup2s 240 treadwear?

Mine are 180.

BMW star marked ones for M2C oe fitment.
I don't believe BMW developed star marked 180 treadwear tire?
      08-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #87
doughboy
Major General
Rep

All 4 are star oe sizes and 180.

It took me a while to track them down in non connect versions.

I never looked at treadwear rating though. But strange nowhere on the tyre data sheet or even on the Michelin website tells you the treadwear index.

Sorry a bit dirty, it's way due a wash....
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 08-03-2023 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 12:19 PM   #88
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All 4 are star oe sizes and 180.

It took me a while to track them down in non connect versions.

I never looked at treadwear rating though. But strange nowhere on the tyre data sheet or even on the Michelin website tells you the treadwear index.

Sorry a bit dirty, it's way due a wash....
That is very interesting. I didn't think the star made it on unless bmw developed them. I'm super curious about these. I do know that the non stars spec cup 2 240 do not have the rim lip protection by the tire that you see on those tires in your pic.