BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Looking for an exhaust that is quieter than stock non mpe exhaust with valves closed.

07-11-2022, 12:06 AM   #1
Stooch
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Looking for an exhaust that is quieter than stock non mpe exhaust with valves closed.

Hi I'm new. I had a C43 AMG and I absolutely loved its combination of quietness and extreme obnoxiousness with the loud button enabled. I got tboned by a chick before I got my M2 OG (best sounding) LCI. I love this car. It's faster and handles better and has a good balance of ride comfort vs handling ( almost as good as my Alfa Romeo Giulia - the best handling car on the market BY FAR. seriously all you M2 competition/cs fanboys have no idea ).

Even with my awesome and beautiful M2 I still miss the Giulia. It's engine set behind the front axle delivery an absolutely unreal handling. I could blow through speed bumps at full speed and it just soaked it up. That car was special.

I am interested in finding the perfect exhaust system. Quieter than stock with valves closed and closer to my AMG with open valves. Is the valvetronic my only choice? I miss how my AMG was dead quiet with no drone until I cranked open those valves. ( It had the sport exhaust option ).

Last edited by Stooch; 07-11-2022 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 01:40 AM   #2
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
I would imagine any exhaust you could get here needs to have dual pipes from the cat back.

Best of luck with your search! On a side note, driving in sport mode versus comfort tends to give me a tiny bit of less drone on the highway. The lower the RPM's are from 3k the better.

If the next exhaust is still too loud, maybe try seeing if an exhaust shop could wield extra resonators on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 02:08 AM   #3
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
DO NOT GET THE MPE IF YOU WANT QUIETNESS (lol ask me how I know)

My personal favorites for this purpose are the Valvetronic and the Akra
      07-11-2022, 07:27 AM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Haven't tried or heard the Valvetronic, but I was shocked that Akrapovic exhaust on my car is quieter and has less highway drone than the STOCK exhaust with valves closed. Plus, it sounds amazing and gets nice and loud with the valves open!

12lb weight reduction doesn't sound like much, but you can easily lift the whole titanium cat back, pipes, muffler, tips, and all, above your head.

I leave the car in Comfort mode for the neighborhood and switch into Sport/Sport+ when it's time to let her scream.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16569.50
      07-11-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooch View Post
Hi I'm new. I had a C43 AMG and I absolutely loved its combination of quietness and extreme obnoxiousness with the loud button enabled. I got tboned by a chick before I got my M2 OG (best sounding) LCI. I love this car. It's faster and handles better and has a good balance of ride comfort vs handling ( almost as good as my Alfa Romeo Giulia - the best handling car on the market BY FAR. seriously all you M2 competition/cs fanboys have no idea ).

Even with my awesome and beautiful M2 I still miss the Giulia. It's engine set behind the front axle delivery an absolutely unreal handling. I could blow through speed bumps at full speed and it just soaked it up. That car was special.

I am interested in finding the perfect exhaust system. Quieter than stock with valves closed and closer to my AMG with open valves. Is the valvetronic my only choice? I miss how my AMG was dead quiet with no drone until I cranked open those valves. ( It had the sport exhaust option ).
Just a thought. My drone was caused by ASD. Has your M2 had ASD bypassed or coded out? I have the M Performance exhaust and love the sound.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16569.50
      07-11-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Good thing that Alfa is gone 💨

One of the least reliable cars on the planet

Code out ASD like DanG said and you're absolutely golden
      07-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #7
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Well, another person's opinion on the MPE.

Disabled the ASD. Drone.
Added a lot of sound-deadening material (search for info): Drone, but a bit quieter.
Added the stock resonator back. Drone, but it's more or less OK.

The MPE sounds amazing! The darn drone though.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 09:21 PM   #8
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I find the stock drones in sport even with no ASD so I'm worried about getting anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 02:29 AM   #9
Difter_Chris
Rep
Drives: M2 F87 LCi

I stand for Akrapovic Evolution Line with 300#catted DP
OG M2 LCI fitted the Akra yesterday, surprisingly slient when the valve is closed, whether at a low speed or on the highway.
But to be honest it will be shattered at low rpm than stock.
The stock has a deep growing style sound when the speed is low.
However, when you open the valve and rev it to 5000RPM, god, I would wonder if this is legal.
hearing impairment
voice from hell
A little bit of E92 M3 style
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:40 AM   #10
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Valvetronic is as quiet as stock with a catless downpipe so I'd imagine it'd be quieter without one. Love mine.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #11
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I had a buddy with an OG and eisenmann exhaust. It was quitier with valves closed than my stock exhaust. I was so surprised how quiet it was even with a catless downpipe. But when he opened it up it was pretty
Much straight piped
Appreciate 0