BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Return to Factory Downpipe Issues?

06-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Return to Factory Downpipe Issues?

Hey all! I am looking at an M2 and it has a downpipe installed. I mentioned that I would want it removed (Smog purposes and I don't wnat the CEL). But I guess his "tech" is telling him that even if he removes the downpipe, it will take about 100 miles of driving for it to reset back to factory settings so he wouldn't be able to smog until after that anyway.

Is this correct or am I missing something? I assumed that I could just use my BimmerGeeks ProTool to reset the code once the downpipe was swapped back to factory.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!!
      06-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #2
Mark.h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m235i

100 miles is just a rough estimate on how long it will take the car to go through all the checks in order be ready for smog after getting the stock downpipe put back on. It just needs to go through a proper drive cycle.

https://www.instructables.com/How-to...?amp_page=true
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.h View Post
100 miles is just a rough estimate on how how long it I'll take the car to go through all the checks in order be ready for smog after getting the stock downpipe put back on. It just needs to go through a proper drive cycle.

https://www.instructables.com/How-to...?amp_page=true
Thank you! Never done a Downpipe and that's part of the reason. I just wanted to know if they were serious. I guess they are
      06-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Out of curiosity, does it not reset to Factory if you disconnect the battery for a few minutes? It will still need to fine tune based on what it finds, but should be a lot closer as a starting point?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #5
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Out of curiosity, does it not reset to Factory if you disconnect the battery for a few minutes? It will still need to fine tune based on what it finds, but should be a lot closer as a starting point?
Those were my thoughts as well, but seeing as how advanced the car computers/monitors are now, I guess it makes sense since the cars "learn" your driving habits and adapt.

Or is that SkyNet starting to take over...?
      06-10-2022, 01:11 PM   #6
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

My car no-longer auto-blips on downshifts, as it has learnt that I keep my foot on the throttle during same. Can get a bit 'lurchy' when I'm not 'making progress'...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #7
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
Thank you! Never done a Downpipe and that's part of the reason. I just wanted to know if they were serious. I guess they are
You might invest in an OBD-II code reader. Or an App. The notion is to be able to read the codes yourself, clear codes and, establish testing readiness.

Among the artifacts in my garage is a Schwaben scanner (rebranded or special version for ECS and related companies, by Foxwell (NT520?)). This does the trick. Sometimes you need drive a relatively few miles for the car to be smog test ready. Five years ago, I had to drive 800 miles! None of the silly charts and how-to's had the answer. Finally, I drove the car like I stole it.

Benefits to a code reader are likely clear to most. This smog readiness thing is a super helpful when playing with tunes, clearing codes and so forth.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #8
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeese View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
You might invest in an OBD-II code reader. Or an App. The notion is to be able to read the codes yourself, clear codes and, establish testing readiness.

Among the artifacts in my garage is a Schwaben scanner (rebranded or special version for ECS and related companies, by Foxwell (NT520?)). This does the trick. Sometimes you need drive a relatively few miles for the car to be smog test ready. Five years ago, I had to drive 800 miles! None of the silly charts and how-to's had the answer. Finally, I drove the car like I stole it.

Benefits to a code reader are likely clear to most. This smog readiness thing is a super helpful when playing with tunes, clearing codes and so forth.
I don't have a code reader, bit I have BimmerGeeks Pro Tool installed on a Tablet. Essentially does the same thing as well as a bit of coding. I'll have to give that a try