BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Dealership Wrecked/Damaged M2C During Scheduled Maintenance

05-23-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Dealership Wrecked/Damaged M2C During Scheduled Maintenance

Yup, you read that right.

Took the M2C into the dealer for scheduled maintenance today, and the dealership damaged it significantly. I drive a 2020 M2C, with less than 10k miles on the odometer, I've had it in my ownership for less than 2k miles (actually purchased the car from another forum member). The car was scheduled for brake fluid, oil change, spark plugs, and cabin filter. I also asked them to take a look at the rear taillight as I was receiving intermittent alerts saying there was a taillight malfunction.

Not sure why it took them 4-5 hours (I had an appointment at 9:30am) to do a fluid change amongst other things, that should be fairly quick/simple, but they finally got back to me around 2:30 PM and informed me that my car was damaged. Their excuse was that the "tech was avoiding a car that was swerving into him, and so he tried to avoid it and instead hit the curb". I really wish I had a dashcam because I don't buy any of it.

So far, the damage looks to be the front bumper, front lip, and both passenger side wheels. Pics below. This literally happened today (a mere few hours ago) and I am absolutely livid, speechless, and sick to my stomach. There really is no excuse for that car to have gone off the lot for a few fluid changes. I tried to get the exact location of where it happened, but the service director could only point me to the general area. I decided to walk up to the area (about 3-4 blocks away) and noticed quite a bit of skid marks on the road - though I can't be certain that was from my car or not. Sadly, I have no proof that their story pans out, but I firmly believe the tech took it out for a joy ride.

The service director apologized and stated that they would obviously repair the damage. I told him that this is obviously going to hurt the resale value, etc., and they replied that they can do everything in-house and no need to get insurance involved. I haven't decided which course of action I will take yet, but I will at least email them here shortly to ensure I'm documenting everything (e.g. - making sure they are admitting fault, etc.).

Would love everyone's recommendations on how to proceed forward with this.. I'm so angry at the moment.

Not sure if I need to get a lawyer involved. I want them to repair the damage + more for all of the troubles. Not only do I want them to fix everything that they damaged (including alignment), I want them to upgrade me to 763m wheels, replacement of my aftermarket carbon lip and side skirts to OEM carbon parts, new tires, and reimbursement for cost of PPF on the front bumper and lip.

I was scheduled to take this car out to the track next month and was really looking forward to it.. but looks like that will have to wait.

Pics below:

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-23 173146.png
Views: 2255
Size:  3.04 MB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-23 173217.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  230.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-23 173244.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  292.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-23 173400.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  254.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-23 173314.jpg
Views: 2118
Size:  234.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-23 173333.jpg
Views: 2106
Size:  365.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-23 173416.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  275.7 KB

Last edited by okla_m2c; 05-23-2022 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #2
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Sickening. Honestly, I’d ask for brand new wheels, bumper, splitter, have the tires checked out to make sure they’re ok… and ask for lifetime alignments. If there’s any chassis damage, you’ll know pretty soon.

Guaranteed it was a joy ride mishap… not a typical evading a lane drifter event, in my opinion. I’m so sorry this happened to you.
Appreciate 3
      05-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

One thing to consider is to have it repaired at your own shop of choice. I'm not sure who they use, but I would only take it to a certified collission center.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:11 PM   #4
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Wow I would equally be livid. You definitely have every right to be.

For what it's worth I just did that same service on my 2020 with 16k and I do have a dashcam. The tech drove it, I assume to make sure plugs were running correctly. He didn't get on it hard or anything though.

Hell I'd make them foot the bill for a dashcam install 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #5
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Even if an insurance claim is not filed, the shop may automatically report the incident/repair to Carfax. Which, to be honest, is only right. The next buyer ought to know that this happened.

It sucks. Maybe the dealership is willing to guarantee value - ie “we’ll honor excellent quality KBB for trade in”. You’d need that in writing, I suppose.

I’ve had situations where the shop caused minor damage that they repaired and I traded in shortly afterwards and the dealership gave me a big discount on my next purchase along with KBB for trade. Something to think about. I’d figure out someway to offset the diminished value on the car.
Appreciate 6
      05-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

It honestly looks more to me like what might happen if you're fucking around on your phone and veer into the curb accidentally. But if you saw skid marks perhaps they are being honest. Not sure if that lip is oem, but they absolutely should replace your lip, repair your bumper, replace your wheels, and fix any other damage 100% on the house. They should also offer you free alignments going forward, a guarantee on the work they perform to repair it, and perhaps a gifted ultimate care plan if you dont have one. I doubt you can get 763's out of them, but they should use oem carbon to replace what you had imo. They should redo the ppf for you too.
Moflow2484.50
      05-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #7
Teknolg
Rep
Drives: WTB - M2 Competition

Damn, this hurts to see.. I am sorry you have to deal with this man hopefully it gets fixed without anymore headaches
      05-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #8
21M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 M2, 20 Macan

I got my car back after the 1200mile breakin service with 9 extra miles. They told me that they needed to test it after the service. BULLSHIT!
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16566.50
      05-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #9
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Wow.
Get a list of everything that is damaged.
Looks like
- wheel
- front bumper
- front spoiler
- tire looks weird so replace too

Get everything new, painted, mounted etc. Also ask for loaner during repair and $500 for compensation for your time and hassle.

Get them to agree in writing, email is fine. No need for a lawyer as long as they agree, which they will, and that will just water down what you get as he don't work for free.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #10
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Wow I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'd be fuming as well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #11
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Thanks all for the advice. Like some of you mentioned, one of my biggest concerns will be with the damage unseen - mostly on suspension/alignment. I am currently exchanging emails with the dealership, and I have in writing that they are at fault and will repair the car accordingly. However, we've yet to discuss exactly what will be done, in addition to what they will do to make this right. It's hard to put a price on the inconvenience, the headache, and the hassle I am about to go through.

Verbally, dealership stated they will replace the wheels with new ones and they will not refinish them. My main concern is what they will do with the bumper. While I'd prefer for them to replace the entire bumper, I'm afraid of how well they will be able to paint match it, especially with the PPF on the surrounding front clip. I will also ensure they somehow replace or reimburse me for the PPF and ceramic coat on the bumper + lip.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #12
brugada_thug
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Honda Fit, 2021 M2 Comp

Damn sorry to hear man. Double check, but I would make a claim through the dealer's insurance and make a "diminished value" claim as well.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      05-23-2022, 08:36 PM   #13
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopropham View Post
Thanks all for the advice. Like some of you mentioned, one of my biggest concerns will be with the damage unseen - mostly on suspension/alignment. I am currently exchanging emails with the dealership, and I have in writing that they are at fault and will repair the car accordingly. However, we've yet to discuss exactly what will be done, in addition to what they will do to make this right. It's hard to put a price on the inconvenience, the headache, and the hassle I am about to go through.

Verbally, dealership stated they will replace the wheels with new ones and they will not refinish them. My main concern is what they will do with the bumper. While I'd prefer for them to replace the entire bumper, I'm afraid of how well they will be able to paint match it, especially with the PPF on the surrounding front clip. I will also ensure they somehow replace or reimburse me for the PPF and ceramic coat on the bumper + lip.
They will have to replace the bumper. You don’t want bondo on the edge of the bumper like that.

I would personally have the car thoroughly checked out at a BMW certified collision center. Curbing the wheels at speed is absolute murder on the suspension components. If there is damage to the control arms, then it’s time to start thinking about the frame. I doubt it’s that bad - I would expect the tires to have popped in that scenario.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:56 PM   #14
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Hell I'd make them foot the bill for a dashcam install 😂
And if they are like "many" BMW dealers, company policy is to unplug dash cams while in for service (anecdotally based on bimmerpost threads on the subject).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:17 PM   #15
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
So sorry to see this.

Brings back some PTSD. After my M5 was taken for a joy ride (based on mileage in/out, no damage) I started explicitly stating to the SA that I didn't want any of my cars driven unless I was contacted. I even left a post-it note on the steering wheel with the mileage (maybe that was a dick move, but it worked). We added a new Z4M coupe to our garage in 2007. In 2009, it was due for routine service and my wife dropped it off without my usual precautions. I get a call saying the wheel was curbed and they would be replacing it. Okay. Great, things happen, and the dealer is making it right. However, it stretched into a week (waiting for the wheel, etc.). I pick up the car and it is pulling a bit to the right. I garage it, inspect the front of the car and can tell it had been repainted, with overspray at that. Words can not express how I felt, but you obviously can empathize. The dealer finally admitted the car had been taken for a joyride, the tech and lost control and slid into a curb. The dealer fired the tech (I didn't ask them to do this). They attempted to make things right by repainting the car, and giving me stuff, etc. but it never seemed right to me. Thankfully, this was only car we ever leased because at the time BMW couldn't sell these and the lease deals were so incredibly good. I had planned to buy it after the lease, but turned it back in. Of course by this time it was 2010 and Z4M coupes were no longer in production. It took me almost a year to find my current Z4MC, a one-owner car with 8K miles. I guess all is well that ends well, but it was a painful experience.

Assuming the suspension is okay, you are in reasonable shape in terms of resale because a new splitter and new wheels/tires are obviously not a big deal. These days, repainting the plastic bumper covers should not affect the resale value assuming the work is of the highest quality (not the case if a panel was involved).

None of this eases the pain, of course. You'll get new wheels, new tires and a new splitter. Make sure the paint job is done by the best paint shop in your area. I'm sure you can convince them to throw on a few extras as you suggest.

GL and I hope this all works our for you.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 06:27 AM   #16
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I would try to get them to upgrade you to a CS on them. Ok bad joke because this is a nightmare and you have the right to be extremely frustrated and mad, specially since you just had the car for such short time. Hopefully the car is ok but I bet it is, we definitely get super picky about our cars here and start thinking that there could be hidden damage but there is a larger chance there isn't. I don't feel good about the "we won't report the fixing" because I think that is a scumbag thing to do, the next owner will buy the car and have a clean car fax and maybe later find out the bumper is not original or it looks repainted, ect... I would definitely ask for a new bumper and just make sure the paint matches (its hard to see sometimes when there is not a lot of light, take the car outside and check from every angle). Absolutely get all new carbon parts and they should be OEM, new damaged wheels as well. I would probably get the PPF done at a good place instead of letting them decide since you want a good PPF shop and who knows who they will use to try to save some money. As far as the 763M, you could certainly try, doubt they will go for it but could be some compensation for your troubles (and its not even enough compensation).

Good luck, I do think you will get the car back and will look good and you will have time to enjoy it. Does suck that you will probably have to skip a track day because those are the best days but more will come, summer still young.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:04 AM   #17
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I would try to get them to upgrade you to a CS on them. Ok bad joke because this is a nightmare and you have the right to be extremely frustrated and mad, specially since you just had the car for such short time. Hopefully the car is ok but I bet it is, we definitely get super picky about our cars here and start thinking that there could be hidden damage but there is a larger chance there isn't. I don't feel good about the "we won't report the fixing" because I think that is a scumbag thing to do, the next owner will buy the car and have a clean car fax and maybe later find out the bumper is not original or it looks repainted, ect... I would definitely ask for a new bumper and just make sure the paint matches (its hard to see sometimes when there is not a lot of light, take the car outside and check from every angle). Absolutely get all new carbon parts and they should be OEM, new damaged wheels as well. I would probably get the PPF done at a good place instead of letting them decide since you want a good PPF shop and who knows who they will use to try to save some money. As far as the 763M, you could certainly try, doubt they will go for it but could be some compensation for your troubles (and its not even enough compensation).

Good luck, I do think you will get the car back and will look good and you will have time to enjoy it. Does suck that you will probably have to skip a track day because those are the best days but more will come, summer still young.
sucks man! that's why I go to my indy cause I don't trust stealership aholes.

I'd want car on the lift and full inspection of suspension and body parts with images to get the total damage assessment, parts & labor.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:27 AM   #18
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I would call BMW NA to open a case. let them know what happened and that you are currently working with the dealer to rectify. Maybe even seek their guidance on how to proceed.

If the dealer pulls any shenanigans during the process, BMW NA will step in to make things right.
Appreciate 5
      05-24-2022, 08:30 AM   #19
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Man, this is an M2 owners worst nightmare. We dont have the most expensive BMWs, but boy do we have the most coveted BMW out there. My F10 got totalled a couple of weeks ago, and I've been looking for a replacement for it, and given the car market I had to go to all my local DC area dealers over a span of a few days. And EACH AND EVERY TIME, there was a bunch of dealer sales or tech guys hovering around my car admiring it. Every dealer asked if I wanted to sell my M2 "for a ton of money". It is truly a car that everyone wishes they drove.
Similar to you, I too witnessed a young tech driving my M2 fast around the parking lot of the dealership after the service. I called it out and reported to the service manager. No need to be driving it so fast. I'm gonna DM you OP as we are in the same city and I'm curious as to which dealer this is
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #20
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
sucks man! that's why I go to my indy cause I don't trust stealership aholes.

I'd want car on the lift and full inspection of suspension and body parts with images to get the total damage assessment, parts & labor.

As soon as the warranty ends I will be doing everything at the indie and even then I want to get some suspension work done and will get it done at the indie to start building the relationship
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:01 AM   #21
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

OP, very sorry to see this happen to you. I honestly would not be able to live with it. Impacts to the wheels are bad. All the suspension components and bushings have likely been tweaked. Albeit very little, but certainly more than road miles can produce. Also the rear diff is a sensitive component, impacts from the side are the worst.

There will likely be many that think this mentality is over the top, but if it were my car it would bother me forever.
      05-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #22
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If I got the car back and it looked good and if I drove it and it drove well I would sleep well at night. I need my car to be a fun thing and not a stressful thing. When mice got inside my car I had a couple of stressful days thinking about it and the damage that they might have done or will do but at the end of the day its just a car, not going to stress about it, enjoy it and eventually sell it. But the repair has to be done properly, no half ass crap where you can feel it drives wonky or the paint does not match. It will be fine OP
Appreciate 0