BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Carbahn Tune Review

01-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #23
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeese View Post
The point is that a graph was tossed up lacking context, with a link to another thread for another car (with an N55). Does the dyno graph show what was advertised or promised? I do not know. There is simply not enough information shared in the post, by itself, to make any conclusions. We can go around and around on the pros and cons of Dinan or CarBahn (play it safe) vs. using a platform like BM3 which allows for tweaks, and mischief-making. There is something to be said for peace of mind and a modest tune. Modest? That's fuzzy. Oh well.
Your logic sir, is shaky at best.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
The point is that a graph was tossed up lacking context, with a link to another thread for another car (with an N55). Does the dyno graph show what was advertised or promised? I do not know. There is simply not enough information shared in the post, by itself, to make any conclusions. We can go around and around on the pros and cons of Dinan or CarBahn (play it safe) vs. using a platform like BM3 which allows for tweaks, and mischief-making. There is something to be said for peace of mind and a modest tune. Modest? That's fuzzy. Oh well.
The link was to the actual car that was dynoed with the mods. including the Carbahn tune. The car was a 435i, which usually makes around less than 300whp completely stock (unlike the M2s tune)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #25
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
Your logic sir, is shaky at best.
Troll ;-)

Last edited by Zeese; 01-14-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #26
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
The link was to the actual car that was dynoed with the mods. including the Carbahn tune. The car was a 435i, which usually makes around less than 300whp completely stock (unlike the M2s tune)
Is your point is that the CarBahn tune has its tradeoffs? That's how I read your post.

One will see modest gains and the solution is inflexible regarding tweaking. Not for everyone. However, there is clearly a market for such tunes.

A CarBahn flash tune review, or a Dinan flash tune review, will implicitly focus on the trade-offs between performance gains against level of effort, reliability (risk-taking), support, costs, etc. It is easy to state the tunes are not interesting. It takes a bit of effort to explain that for a different investment in dollars and time, one can have more flexibility at a cost of reliability. How much is too much per performance? These tunes are filling a niche.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #27
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

What evidence do we have to go on that the Carbahn tune is any safer than MHD or BM3 beyond the assumption that because it makes less power it’s safer or that “Steve said it was.”

That’s not to say that it’s NOT safer, but I’m just curious what data or information this is being backed up with?
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      01-14-2022, 12:56 PM   #28
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Troll ;-)
Absolutely. But my statement was accurate.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #29
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Steve Dinan is full of hot air. His parts have been know to be under deliver and be over priced.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #30
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely. But my statement was accurate.
You are right. Evidence is a bit thin. The Dinan/CarBahn arrangements that derive both benefit and risk from being co-termed with BMW warranties is problematic. Is it 100% a marketing ploy? Probably not. A balance of risk/reward. Some gains, but not so much.

How do we value peace of mind for a modest performance improvement?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 12:38 AM   #31
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atam View Post
Thread revival but, does Carbahn usually have 20% off sales every March? Was thinking of doing stage 1 within the next month but if they have sales, I can wait....
I do not know. If you can create an account on their site, then perhaps promotions will find their way to you?

A second attempt, now, to slam out a few notes.

Flashed back to stock this evening. After a spirited drive on some twisties, I can say the stock OG M2 is a ridiculous amount of fun. I did miss the Stage 2 bump. The car is a handful even without these oft-ridiculed Stage 2 gains

The Telematics Unit Retrofit To 4G Cellular Technology update will require a reflash, since "... ISTA will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software." Post-update, one has to have a new tune created. Hope to be back driving with modest over-priced power gains, of dubious reliabilty, by midweek next.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:38 PM   #32
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What evidence do we have to go on that the Carbahn tune is any safer than MHD or BM3 beyond the assumption that because it makes less power it’s safer or that “Steve said it was.”

That’s not to say that it’s NOT safer, but I’m just curious what data or information this is being backed up with?
Nothing.
      06-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #33
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Now that you have had this tune, for some time, I was wondering if you have ever had any issues related to it.

My local BMW dealer is now offering the CarBahn Flash Tune. I want to pull the trigger, but I am currently in the process of doing my 'due diligence' to find out more about it.

I know it is offered with an additional paid warranty that will match the BMW factory warranty for whatever time you have left. I only have a few months left on factory and so there is no reason for me to spend the $750 on the warranty itself. The CarBahn warrant will only match the factory warranty and not my CPO.

My CPO kicks in in November. And then goes until November 2024.

My dealer has verbally let me know that they will honor my CPO with the tune, for most things - unless I do something crazy like blow the trans or motor completely. But, they (for obvious reasons) won't put that in writing.

All that aside - did you have any issues at all with the Carbahn Tune? I want to pull the trigger. Especially for the additional Exhaust map.

I understand that ALL Tunes (with the exception of MPPSK) puts my CPO at risk. But, I wanted to hear from everyone else.

This is a light tune (maybe 47 hp). I really want it for the exhaust map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
Finally got the CarBahn stage 1 tune on my M2. Here are some impressions after a week:

-There is a noticeable power bump. Even in Comfort, you get that feeling of "being pushed back in your seat" with little throttle.
-In Sport and Sport+, the burbles are louder.
-The car pulls harder at higher RPMs than before.

Overall, I am satisfied with this tune. It may be more conservative than some other options on the market, but it does make the already fantastic M2 more fun while providing factory matching warranty that is important to me personally. And after driving it for a few days, I do believe the performance numbers and torque/hp curves on their website are accurate:

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...n-competition/

I also received a tablet for flashing the car to stock or for any future updates. Steve Dinan's signature on the box was a nice little touch.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
      06-24-2023, 01:26 PM   #34
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

A few general thoughts:

1. I had an issue with my tune and the DME had to be refreshed. My BMW dealer pulled the DME, FedEx'd it to Carbahn (who reflashed it) and reshipped it to my dealer, who reinstalled the DME. All at Carbahn's expense. The point is that their warranty is legit.

2. I had a LOT of trouble with this tune with a MT-- the clutch became VERY sensitive (think on/off switch) and could only be used in Efficient mode. Sport and Sport+ became unusable. This may or may not be an issue with non-MT cars. Personally, I think the turbo spool didn't take into account the clutch, so the tune dumps too much power as you're putting out the clutch-- but that's a personal guess.

3. It's a fun hooligan tune and is a beast on the street. BUT-- I didn't like it much on the track. And the longer I had it, the less I liked it on the street (mostly due to the MT issues stated above), so I detuned the car back to stock last winter. I'm currently considering a tune from Bend Calibration-- the only reason I haven't done so yet is logistics-- I have to pull the DME, ship it to Chicago to have it cracked, reinstall the DME, then tune with Bend (and I don't own a Windows laptop). That's probably a fall project due to my lack of free time to get it sorted. I'm looking for a "CS+" tune-- not interested in massive numbers, just want to have something with a little better umph that fixes BMW's "detune" of the M2C software compared to the M3/M4.

Overall? At the time (2020), Carbahn was the way to go. Now, however, I think there may be other options that fit my needs better.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

R.
      06-25-2023, 09:44 PM   #35
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor MSP View Post
Thank you for the review hz101. I am glad to hear about the improved high rpm power, as I think that is lacking a bit in stock form, whereas torque down low is abundant and more or less instantaneous.

CarBahn also has stage 2 software, but it is bundled with their stage 1 power package. Do you know if the stage 2 software can be purchased as a standalone option? I ask this because I already have the AA intercooler and intercooler-to-throttle-body hard pipe, plus an HJS down-pipe, so in principle, I can run their stage 2 software.

I have contacted CarBahn twice in the past several months via the form on their website, but have never received a reply to my questions (one of which I asked you above). And a subsequent phone call did not result in a reply either. There is a local BMW tuner shop that is CarBahn authorized, so it looks like I will contact them about the tune if and when I look to install it.
Kinda rude...no reply
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 06:01 AM   #36
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
A few general thoughts:

2. I had a LOT of trouble with this tune with a MT-- the clutch became VERY sensitive (think on/off switch) and could only be used in Efficient mode. Sport and Sport+ became unusable. This may or may not be an issue with non-MT cars.
I would like someone to chime in here who has had this tune on a DCT to compare drivability if possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 12:31 AM   #37
TraderJMF
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
A few general thoughts:

3. It's a fun hooligan tune and is a beast on the street. BUT-- I didn't like it much on the track. And the longer I had it, the less I liked it on the street (mostly due to the MT issues stated above), so I detuned the car back to stock last winter. I'm currently considering a tune from Bend Calibration-- the only reason I haven't done so yet is logistics-- I have to pull the DME, ship it to Chicago to have it cracked, reinstall the DME, then tune with Bend (and I don't own a Windows laptop). That's probably a fall project due to my lack of free time to get it sorted. I'm looking for a "CS+" tune-- not interested in massive numbers, just want to have something with a little better umph that fixes BMW's "detune" of the M2C software compared to the M3/M4.

Overall? At the time (2020), Carbahn was the way to go. Now, however, I think there may be other options that fit my needs better.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

R.
Now that it’s been about 5mos and into fall, what did you end up doing? Did you find something you like better on the M2C 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 08:54 AM   #38
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJMF View Post
Now that it’s been about 5mos and into fall, what did you end up doing? Did you find something you like better on the M2C 6MT?
I pulled the tune and went back to stock. I consider it the "least-bad" option.

After much research, I'll be going with Bend Calibration. I'll have to have the DME unlocked, and honestly? I've had bigger fish to fry (like finding out by accident that I was going to be dead in about a year and subsequently getting my flight medical yanked) so the car just hasn't been a priority-- I'll get to it, but probably not until the spring.

I'll be looking to get essentially a "CS+" tune-- something fun, but within the bounds of the stock motor without having to play with injectors, fuel pumps, etc. I just would like something a little perkier and to unlock the hp that BMW took away with the Comp's detune. Bend seems to have exactly what I want.

On the plus side, I'm all better now, but have to do a bunch of testing starting this week (nuclear medicine stress test, yet *another* angiogram and a comprehensive physical by a cardiologist) and then submit everything to the FAA-- that'll start the process to get me back in the jet (hopefully) in about 6 months from now.

R.
chris7197334.00
jefe2000740.50
      12-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #39
daeqsw
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

What are you getting 0-60 nowadays? Do the wheels have a hard time getting traction?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #40
SCP_M2C
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
I would like someone to chime in here who has had this tune on a DCT to compare drivability if possible.
I’m supposed to get my car back from CarBahn next week. I will keep you posted. I have a dct and will have their stage 2 software.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2023, 02:05 PM   #41
m2ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP_M2C View Post
I’m supposed to get my car back from CarBahn next week. I will keep you posted. I have a dct and will have their stage 2 software.
Yes please, thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 12:39 PM   #42
m2ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP_M2C View Post
Any update here?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 06:00 PM   #43
SCP_M2C
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
Any update here?
Still very easy to street drive. There is definitely more torque down low but it’s still a very smooth ride and the power is much more linear than the stock tune. Car is making about 21.5 psi of boost. And second gear the car can still put down the power with just a little bit of haising the tires with traction fully off. (I’m running stock size tires (Michelin pilot sport 4S). The power seems to come on more in the higher gears.
Appreciate 0