BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Imagine: EV RWD 2022 M2

03-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Imagine: EV RWD 2022 M2

Could really be a pretty cool thing to have.

Imagine Tesla power with bmw chassis, looks, and M character.

Honestly it'll be a pretty awesome day when whatever company it is that does it, comes out with the E30 m3 of modern ev's.

One that really goes down in history as the first truly legendary ev drivers car.

This is a future I'm ok with.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      03-18-2020, 02:09 AM   #2
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I think this will still take a while. Super car makers are still struggling with battery pack cooling during performance driving. To do this at M2 price point will still take time. And until race tracks have super chargers where you can get to 80% charge in 20 min I’ll keep my internal combustion engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:17 AM   #3
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

the germans are pretty far behind compared to the american companies in ev and battery tech. The taycan is pretty good step for them but i think it would be more fun just do a ev retrofit.

i've seen a few shops that just retro a tesla motor and create a adapter plate to mate with the manual transmission. So it drives like a regular manual car but the engine is just ev.

Ev retrofits will probably be the new hot roding of the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

I'm not there yet. I'd take an electric daily no problems.
But my fun car, at least for now, needs a proper engine.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17427.50
      03-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

I think we are pretty far away of anything like an M2 EV...first we gonna see some posdible mild-hybrid M2 in the next generation lifecycle 2023-2030 and after that maybe the first real M EV, but for sure not on the M2 platform, more on M4/5 onwards...

They first need to focus on a building normal EV cars before the tech and price allows them to focus on fun / sport cars...tech wise and price wise they need first to establish an M EV platform, and this for sure won't be launched with the entry model Ms...

Futhermore, with the current costs for tech and manufacturing....an M2 EV would be far over 100k if you want to see the same quality and performance we are used to see from the BMW M brand...
IMO the Ms will be the last cars moving to full EVs, first tech and $ needs to come in from the standard models...
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 01:12 AM   #6
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

agreed we probably won't see any full evs from bmw unless its in the 100k+ range. BMW doesnt have the vw pool of money porsche can tap into.

the clar platform is designed to accept hybrids though. we could see a e-assist similar to the e53 amg
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      03-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #7
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

It can't have 'M character' if it's an EV - a huge amount of the character comes from its beating heart - that delightfully noisy, high-revving lump burning dino juice under the hood.
      03-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

All valid points you guys make.

Just seeing the Model S Plaid testing on the ring had me wondering what a full ev M build could be like.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #9
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
All valid points you guys make.

Just seeing the Model S Plaid testing on the ring had me wondering what a full ev M build could be like.
If they could improve the battery's longevity and weight, it would be splendid..

EVs are wayyyy more efficient and faster than a combustion motor, just because of its MO.

I would even consider giving up the manual option for the trade off but we're still at least a good decade away before that concept is fully gestated..
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #10
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

No thanks

The lack of changing gears, no clutch, the lack of sound (yes even the S55 is musical and material when compared to the nothingness of EV)...gettahel out of here
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #11
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
No thanks

The lack of changing gears, no clutch, the lack of sound (yes even the S55 is musical and material when compared to the nothingness of EV)...gettahel out of here
Ever rode in a p100d?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:50 PM   #12
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Ever rode in a p100d?
point being?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:02 AM   #13
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ever rode in a p100d?
point being?
I'll take that as a no. Ride in one. Until then... gettahell outta here

Smug back and forth aside

The p100d offers a crazy sound(not as good sure) and feeling of acceleration you can't get with our beloved cars.

A car with the crazy spool sound the Tesla makes, the insane torque, suspension tuned by bmw m, as well as everything that goes into making a communicative chassis, and to top it off an mdm that would let this car be sideways from now until Sunday if you wanted. I just think it would be cool.

Like having a really cool golf cart or something.

You've made it obvious you don't care but I'm just trying to help you see the potential light of the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:44 AM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ever rode in a p100d?
point being?
I'll take that as a no. Ride in one. Until then... gettahell outta here

Smug back and forth aside

The p100d offers a crazy sound(not as good sure) and feeling of acceleration you can't get with our beloved cars.

A car with the crazy spool sound the Tesla makes, the insane torque, suspension tuned by bmw m, as well as everything that goes into making a communicative chassis, and to top it off an mdm that would let this car be sideways from now until Sunday if you wanted. I just think it would be cool.

Like having a really cool golf cart or something.

You've made it obvious you don't care but I'm just trying to help you see the potential light of the future.
I'm with you there, one needs to actually drive or drive in an EV vehicle, before they throw stones..

Arm-chair criticism is narrow-minded, to say the least..

I did, it's a different experience, in that a powerful combustion engine, where the power is driven by rear axels, propelled by a gasoline motors but there is a drivetrain loss of power, from the engine, to transmission then wheels.

An EV a nutshell, each wheel has its own motor, without the use of a middleman transmission, on each wheel, so there is no or little drivetrain loss with instant torque and stopping power, since when you stop, doesn't have to kill power like a combustion propulsion but merely instantly stop it transmitting torque.

Plus the benefits of an EV by savings on gas and efficiency. I will miss my clutch pedal but I see this as the future of newer model automobiles; as autonomous driving become more complacent and then the emission regulations always being volatile, forcing manufacturers to be their toes, to abide by the changing standards.

EV looks like best solution, the same way they saw bring back the turbo motors, a trend that died out in the 80s, EV will be there next best thing and they'll do it proper, they're like the SONY of cars..

The auto manufactures has already grease enough government wheels to get approval for releasing Level 5 Self-Driving vehicles.

So I believe improving the size and range of the Lithium Ion battery, in relation to a target MSRP, more public charging stations and whatever final field approval, is the only thing holding them back from it becoming more widespread and at least match the offerings of combustion motors.

The i4 looks pretty promising..
Appreciate 1