BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What are you guys doing for paint protection? XPEL doesn't have pattern yet.

04-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #133
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz View Post
F87LUV what did you end up paying for the Xpel at DD?
if you are interested please drop us a call or email. I will set you all up with a fair price and solid installation. we are a vendor on bimmerpost.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #134
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
First car I've put ppf on so I'm new to the whole thing. So many seams! I should have been clear with the installer up front like you were.. I just assumed it would look perfect for the amount of money paid. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the input.
I would call the installer and share your concerns. If they are a good shop they will address your concerns without any pushback. The installer who as done work on my cars and my friends makes it clear when I pick them up that if there is anything at all I don't like to just let them know and they will redo it. Most shops are smart enough to do anything they can to protect their reputation.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #135
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Question for the Xpel guy. Can I put Optimum Gloss Coat, Cquartz, or similar coatings on top of Xpel? I plan on doing the hood, bumper, backs of mirrors and front fenders in Xpel (Protective Film Solutions in Scottsdale) and I plan on doing Optimum or one of the other coatings, I want to car to look and repel water the same is it possible or recommended to coat Xpel?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #136
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Question for the Xpel guy. Can I put Optimum Gloss Coat, Cquartz, or similar coatings on top of Xpel? I plan on doing the hood, bumper, backs of mirrors and front fenders in Xpel (Protective Film Solutions in Scottsdale) and I plan on doing Optimum or one of the other coatings, I want to car to look and repel water the same is it possible or recommended to coat Xpel?
yes you can we will be doing Nanolex SI3D on top of the M2 we have in the shop.

We have installed the above coatings with Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #137
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post

I'm not familiar with Nanolex. What does it do for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #138
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, BTW I dig your website, I buy from you a couple of times a year. Nice to have good products available.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #139
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Figured I would post a few shots here for you all.

removal of all emblems we were comfortable removing.

shop pics

Appreciate 2
      04-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #140
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, BTW I dig your website, I buy from you a couple of times a year. Nice to have good products available.
thank you I appreciate the support
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:38 PM   #141
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
I'm not familiar with Nanolex. What does it do for you?
This is one of the best descriptions of Nanolex SI3D

Nanolex Si3D is an advanced silica-based coating that simultaneously protects and enhances the appearance of automotive paint. Developed in Germany, it uses the latest in low volatile content silicon (Si) technology to lay down a film of siloxane polymers and proprietary thermoplastic components that cross-link rapidly to form a flexible three-dimensional (3D) coating that bonds to painted surfaces at the molecular level. As a result, it provides excellent protection against bird droppings, bug splatter, brake dust, road salt and harmful UV radiation from the sun for upwards of twelve months at a time, even on daily drivers (as it cures, the Si3D coating becomes highly resistant to strong cleaning chemicals and pressure washing, to the point where ultimately it can only really be removed by machine polishing).

However, the benefits imparted by Nanolex Si3D do not end with outstanding levels of protection and durability. Perhaps even more importantly, treated surfaces become richer looking (Si3D has a strong colour jetting effect), more scratch resistant (due to the intrinsic hardness of the silica-based matrix) and strongly hydrophobic (water hating). This latter characteristic not only results in impressive beading upon contact with water, but also encourages a degree of self-cleaning (strong hydrophobicity results in more contaminants being picked up and carried away by rainfall and runoff rather than being deposited in situ, akin to the Lotus Effect in nature). This results in treated bodywork staying cleaner for longer, allowing the intervals between routine washes to be extended and reducing the need for regular maintenance.

(remember it's more resistant to scratching not scratch proof - hence even with a coating - improper care will still swirl or scratch your car's finish)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #142
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

Nanolex Si3D is an advanced silica-based coating that simultaneously protects and enhances the appearance of automotive paint. Developed in Germany, it uses the latest in low volatile content silicon (Si) technology to lay down a film of siloxane polymers and proprietary thermoplastic components that cross-link rapidly to form a flexible three-dimensional (3D) coating that bonds to painted surfaces at the molecular level. As a result, it provides excellent protection against bird droppings, bug splatter, brake dust, road salt and harmful UV radiation from the sun for upwards of twelve months at a time, even on daily drivers (as it cures, the Si3D coating becomes highly resistant to strong cleaning chemicals and pressure washing, to the point where ultimately it can only really be removed by machine polishing).

However, the benefits imparted by Nanolex Si3D do not end with outstanding levels of protection and durability. Perhaps even more importantly, treated surfaces become richer looking (Si3D has a strong colour jetting effect), more scratch resistant (due to the intrinsic hardness of the silica-based matrix) and strongly hydrophobic (water hating). This latter characteristic not only results in impressive beading upon contact with water, but also encourages a degree of self-cleaning (strong hydrophobicity results in more contaminants being picked up and carried away by rainfall and runoff rather than being deposited in situ, akin to the Lotus Effect in nature). This results in treated bodywork staying cleaner for longer, allowing the intervals between routine washes to be extended and reducing the need for regular maintenance.

(remember it's more resistant to scratching not scratch proof - hence even with a coating - improper care will still swirl or scratch your car's finish)
Cool, thank you. Will need to look into that further.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #143
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

A little off topic but what size Quickjack do you use in your shop to lift the M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #144
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A little off topic but what size Quickjack do you use in your shop to lift the M2?
5000 lb capacity
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:15 AM   #145
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
      04-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #146
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply DetailersDomain. You can use most coatings on top of XPEL ULTIMATE with no problems. Many of our installers use ceramic coatings such as what you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #147
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

XPEL so per your kit site, the whole kit is out already. (for entire car).

And it's available to use by your authorized installers?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #148
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
XPEL so per your kit site, the whole kit is out already. (for entire car).

And it's available to use by your authorized installers?
Yes, any of our "Factory Trained" installers that use our DAP cutting software will have this pattern available
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #149
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Sweet, and thanks for the quick response as they didn't have it yet, few days ago!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #150
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Do the side emblems just pull off?
      04-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #151
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Do the side emblems just pull off?
they do not there is double sided tape behind there and a clip.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #152
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
they do not there is double sided tape behind there and a clip.
So they are a pain in the but to get off huh?
      04-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #153
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

they are not hard but they are also not easy to remove.

they are double sided taped and then there is a clip that has to be removed.

the installer should know how to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #154
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
5000 lb capacity
Sorry for intruding with another off topic. I'm looking to purchase one and if you don't mind could you comment on this unit? Obviously you are using it a lot. Does it work for you and would you recommended for lite home usage?