BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan S55 Flash Tuning (F87 M2C & F8x M3/M4)

01-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #23
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Dinan_Engineering

My DME was mailed to Dinan and then tuned with HE a few months ago. Now I want to upgrade to HE+. However, my tuner says my DME needs to be sent to you guys for unlocking a second time. I thought I could reflash from HE to HE+ once the DME was unlocked, but I can't.

My understanding is, I will have to have the DME removed a third time and sent to Dinan in order to load the stage 1 tune once I am out of warranty. Obviously, if I knew I had to spend $800 in labor and a week in the shop just to switch maps I might never have chosen Dinan in the first place.

Would you care to comment more in detail as to why my car can't be permanently unlocked and how widespread this problem may be for other S55 owners?

Last edited by DriverDaily; 01-23-2020 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #24
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
Dinan_Engineering

My DME was mailed to Dinan and then tuned with HE a few months ago. Now I want to upgrade to HE+. However, my tuner says my DME needs to be sent to you guys for unlocking a second time. I thought I could reflash from HE to HE+ once the DME was unlocked, but I can't.

My understanding is, I will have to have the DME removed a third time and sent to Dinan in order to load the stage 1 tune once I am out of warranty. Obviously, if I knew I had to spend $800 in labor and a week in the shop just to switch maps I might never have chosen Dinan in the first place.

Would you care to comment more in detail as to why my car can't be permanently unlocked and how widespread this problem may be for other S55 owners?

Well that sucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #25
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering

Assuming it wasn't reverted to stock after Dinan+ was flashed (and therefore the newest locked bootloader applied) there would be no reason to send the DME back in to get unlocked again when upgrading to +HE or Stage 1.

On Thursday/Friday we had a temporary glitch where the update process wasn't working. The software department pushed a programming update for testing of MG1 on the live server before it was fully vetted that caused some issues but that was resolved towards EOD on Friday. So the dealer may have just had unlucky timing and run into that which is causing the confusion maybe. Regardless, let me know the dealer or have the dealer reach out to Dinan support and we can go over whatever issues they may be running into.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #26
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Assuming it wasn't reverted to stock after Dinan+ was flashed (and therefore the newest locked bootloader applied) there would be no reason to send the DME back in to get unlocked again when upgrading to +HE or Stage 1.

On Thursday/Friday we had a temporary glitch where the update process wasn't working. The software department pushed a programming update for testing of MG1 on the live server before it was fully vetted that caused some issues but that was resolved towards EOD on Friday. So the dealer may have just had unlucky timing and run into that which is causing the confusion maybe. Regardless, let me know the dealer or have the dealer reach out to Dinan support and we can go over whatever issues they may be running into.
I was told my DME needed removal a second time before I even dropped the car off for the HE+ flash. They didn't even hook the car up to the scanner. And no I haven't had the car updated.

I already resolved the matter with my dealer, Turner Sevice, I just want a better, more technical explanation than what Turner could give me. Also, so that others who may have the same issues as me don't end up spending $800 to switch maps.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 01-23-2020 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #27
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what my Dinan Dealer, Turner Service, told me before I even dropped the car off for the HE+ flash. They didn't even hook the car up to the scanner. And no I haven't had the car updated, obviously.

I already resolved the matter with Turner Sevice, I just want a better, more technical explanation than Turner could give me. Also, so that others who may have the same issues as me don't end up spending $800 to switch maps.
Just for clarity up front, assuming no anomalies (like this particular case described in more depth below), there would be no need to send the DME in again after it has already been unlocked UNLESS it was since updated back to factory programming and the bootloader updated.

For your specific case--- Talked to tech support and inquired about anything with Turner and it turns out your flash was just bad timing with the previously referenced errant update that messed up the updater services for those few days. You happened to be at the outset of the issue when we were unaware exactly how long the fix may take so rather then wait and hope for a timely resolution what was opted for was Turner sending it in so we could do it manually. At the time, not knowing resolution timetables, it was the most expedient solution. This was an issue with our server which caused this though so there should be no expense on your end with Dinan covering the labor to pull out / reinstall the DME. This was confirmed with tech support so Turner should be sending us a bill for that labor and not passing on that expense to you.

All that said, the update that caused the issue has been rectified so no one else should have the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #28
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Just for clarity up front, assuming no anomalies (like this particular case described in more depth below), there would be no need to send the DME in again after it has already been unlocked UNLESS it was since updated back to factory programming and the bootloader updated.

For your specific case--- Talked to tech support and inquired about anything with Turner and it turns out your flash was just bad timing with the previously referenced errant update that messed up the updater services for those few days. You happened to be at the outset of the issue when we were unaware exactly how long the fix may take so rather then wait and hope for a timely resolution what was opted for was Turner sending it in so we could do it manually. At the time, not knowing resolution timetables, it was the most expedient solution. This was an issue with our server which caused this though so there should be no expense on your end with Dinan covering the labor to pull out / reinstall the DME. This was confirmed with tech support so Turner should be sending us a bill for that labor and not passing on that expense to you.

All that said, the update that caused the issue has been rectified so no one else should have the problem.
Well that's good to know. Turner did not convey to me that this was a temporary issue, rather a permanent one. So thank you for the update.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #29
CountSmurfula
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

DriverDaily, were you able to get a heat exchanger without a logo? I also love a clean look.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #30
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountSmurfula View Post
DriverDaily, were you able to get a heat exchanger without a logo? I also love a clean look.
I was able to remove the logo with aircraft remover. But, if I was to do it a second time I would try to find a place to do a baking soda media blast. The aircraft remover was a pain.

I had HE plus and an Eventuri intake installed. However, something is very wrong. The car idles rough on cold start and only made 375whp on Turner's Mustang Dyno. I was expecting 450+.

My first guess is the MAF was installed incorrectly or clamps are loose and air is getting in after the MAF. Can't give my impressions until that is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #31
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
To clarify, if upgrading tunes from HE to HE+, there is no need for the dealer to flash back to stock file before loading the new software, hence no need to send the DME out to have it unlocked again?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #32
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007 View Post
To clarify, if upgrading tunes from HE to HE+, there is no need for the dealer to flash back to stock file before loading the new software, hence no need to send the DME out to have it unlocked again?
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #33
aguy
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

How exactly does the matching warranty coverage work with a tune?

If lets say I'm denied warranty coverage from the dealer because I have a tune for a spun crank hub will I be covered?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #34
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
How exactly does the matching warranty coverage work with a tune?

If lets say I'm denied warranty coverage from the dealer because I have a tune for a spun crank hub will I be covered?
Read the warranty agreement on the site. And if something happens, Dinan should work directly with your dealer. At least that's how they used to do it, and how CarBahn does it now.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0