BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Trailer size for M2C?

01-17-2022, 10:03 AM   #23
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublej View Post
What was your tow vehicle for each of the trailers listed?

JJ
20' open trailer used a v8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Went through through 3 transmissions.

24 ft enclosed car hauler started with F150 with Tritan 5.4 first. What a dog. Then went to Ram 2500 long bed with 5.9 Cummins 'triple nickel' and G56 manual tranny. That was effortless towing. After that Ram 1500 eco diesel with factory air suspension. Once tuned it was a great tower.

34 ft enclosed car hauler is pulled with Ford 350 SRW long bed with 6.7 powerstroke. It is a fricken monster and pulls with relative ease.

My recommendation is always tow with the most overrated tow vehicle you can afford. Under stressed towing is better for tow vehicle longevity, likely a safer config and makes for less driver fatigue.

Last edited by robertm; 01-17-2022 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Doublej40.00
      03-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #24
driver91
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

18 foot works nicely
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #25
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have now done over 100 track days and drive mine to the track. Changing tires takes 15 minutes, which is a lot less than what it takes to unload the car. I bring all my tools and also squeeze in two 5 gal jugs in front of the passenger seat. The extra cost to tow and the time spent renting the trailer just doesn't make sense. 5 hour trips to the Glen and VIR a breeze…

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:01 PM   #26
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
I can only speak to my experience, but I think these cars are fairly reliable if taken care of, e.g. oil changes, not over reving, no launches/burnouts, etc.

I've replaced the fronts once and have the original rears (I track with all nannies off so no stability support engaging the rears). Brake pads are another story....

I keep my rotors until the micro cracks develop into pretty obvious and severe cracks. But not to the point that the cracks start connecting to themselves or the outside edges. I think my custom home-built cooling ducts have helped somewhat, but before I had these the brakes would run really hot. Calipers turned a dark green by the end of the first year and I would occasionally get cracked pads, which was frustrating - especially when a brand new pad cracked on the second day.

PS - I suggest you use FCP Euro for your brake rotor needs as they offer a lifetime warranty on these parts and stock OEM BMW rotors. I only wish they also stocked PFC 08s
Lets see your hime made cooling ducts
Appreciate 0