BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 owners regrets for MT or DCT

07-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #89
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

I regret even considering a DCT. Time I'll never get back.
Appreciate 4
      07-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #90
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
But it always makes me laugh at a cars and coffee when an onlooker looks into a car and says oh, it's an automatic/dct. There is a disappointment in their reaction.
I have to confess to being that guy when it comes to the M2, and I concede that it's purely an emotional reaction, entirely illogical, and it may indicate that I am mentally unstable. Logically I know that there are people who live in high-traffic areas, and people with physical limitations, and people who track the car and need to shave hundredths of seconds off their lap times. Logically, it makes perfect sense, and if I fell into any of these categories I myself would probably buy a DCT. I completely get it. But instinctively, I see that little DCT nub sticking out of the console and I think...what hath God wrought?

It's even worse with Miatas...I've considered proposing legislation in the state of Arizona that if passed would see all Miatas with automatics confiscated and loaded onto a giant cargo ship and then sunk in the Mariana Trench. Logically, I'm sure there are some very normal people putting automatics in Miatas, but emotionally I don't think they should be living on this planet.
Appreciate 7
      07-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #91
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
I have to confess to being that guy when it comes to the M2, and I concede that it's purely an emotional reaction, entirely illogical, and it may indicate that I am mentally unstable. Logically I know that there are people who live in high-traffic areas, and people with physical limitations, and people who track the car and need to shave hundredths of seconds off their lap times. Logically, it makes perfect sense, and if I fell into any of these categories I myself would probably buy a DCT. I completely get it. But instinctively, I see that little DCT nub sticking out of the console and I think...what hath God wrought?

It's even worse with Miatas...I've considered proposing legislation in the state of Arizona that if passed would see all Miatas with automatics confiscated and loaded onto a giant cargo ship and then sunk in the Mariana Trench. Logically, I'm sure there are some very normal people putting automatics in Miatas, but emotionally I don't think they should be living on this planet.
In my normal, everyday life, I rarely encounter a car that interests me, at least not anywhere that I can look at it up close and personal, such as parked in a lot or on the street. SUVs and Pickups predominate here. Every once in a while I encounter a performance car. Invariably, it has an AT. As soon as I see that, I become sad. Generally, it does not ruin my day, but there have been exceptions :-)
      07-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #92
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Totally agree - I support transmission choice... in every car but a Miata (anyone who buys an automatic Miata just doesn't get it & should not be allowed to buy one ). The problem is, my choice is disappearing!

But one day these threads will die, when both DCT & MT go the way of the dodo in favor of automatics for everyone. (Then those will go extinct when ICE cars disappear, since electric cars don't need transmissions... and eventually we won't be able to drive electric cars since they'll drive themselves. IOW, the car enthusiast world is on borrowed time but hopefully I'll end before it does. )
Al1969532.50
      07-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #93
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobat View Post
Fun in cars is a matter of subjectivity.
If you don't understand that Americans in general consider manual more special than Europeans I think you should read multiple threads on the topic on this forum.
You said fancy, not special - in America those words mean different things.
Appreciate 1
Al1969532.50
      07-09-2018, 01:37 AM   #94
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Last weekend I did 2 days intensive drive in mountain passes with local M event, for first time, I felt a pain in my right arm switching DCT in manual mode (sport+) !!! Who said DCT requires no efforts ???
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:24 AM   #95
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovairdf87 View Post
You said fancy, not special - in America those words mean different things.
I'm really sorry for my ignorance, but English is not my native language.

What I actually wrote (if you read carefully) was that most Europeans doesn't consider MT fancy and, based on what I read on forums like this, it seems like many Americans consider MT more special than DCT.

I think this briefly sums it up.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-stick-s...than-automatic

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but I had to reply.
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe

Last edited by aerobat; 07-09-2018 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
Al1969532.50
tranck500.50
      07-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #96
M2nelz
Rep
Drives: M2 Black Lci

I went for the DCT but wish i had gone MT . Just miss that little extra driver involvement MT gives. My next car is going to be an R8 V10 MT
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2018, 12:43 PM   #97
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

DCT kicks much a**- super good, really!

Manual would’ve been fun for a week, maybe - Bay Area traffic sucks !

No regrets here
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #98
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2nelz View Post
I went for the DCT but wish i had gone MT . Just miss that little extra driver involvement MT gives. My next car is going to be an R8 V10 MT
I'm the opposite. I would have spent the extra money on the DCT if I could do it all over again. Not the end of the world though as fortunately the 6 speed shifts are smooth and the clutch easy to modulate making it easier to drive in the city than say an STI which has always had a high engagement point making it more difficult to drive smoothly.
Appreciate 2
Al1969532.50
      07-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #99
TheMagician
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 6spd

Even though the deal is done I still have an option to switch the cars.

I do 50/50 B roads and highway driving so got DCT but have another week to switch to manual. I’ve heard that cruising at about 125 km/h takes over 3200-3300 rpm which is not ideal. I drove manual for 15 years in my E46 325 and other “rocket” but thinking about that bumper to bumper commute downtown 20K each day I just don’t know.

Decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #100
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
I'm really sorry for my ignorance, but English is not my native language.
Don't sell yourself short; your English is better than at least half of the US population, especially those people under about 35.
pz6193278.50
Thescout134944.00
Dackelone10531.50
      07-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #101
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Got my time machine today and discovered what will replace the DCT/Manual posts of the future. Headline reads: Any regrets getting the autonomous driving version of the M2?

Comments read: "I deal with traffic, so didn't want the extra hassle of turning a wheel."

"The car is faster around a track when it drives itself."

And one outlier said, "I like turning my own wheel, but wish I had the mind-sensing hungerzone option which feeds me while I'm driving."

In other words, nothing changed.
Appreciate 7
      07-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #102
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Got my time machine today and discovered what will replace the DCT/Manual posts of the future. Headline reads: Any regrets getting the autonomous driving version of the M2?

Comments read: "I deal with traffic, so didn't want the extra hassle of turning a wheel."

And one outlier said, "I like turning my own wheel, but wish I had the mind-sensing hungerzone option which feeds me while I'm driving."

While funny, I think there is a big difference between 6MT vs DCT compared to Auto vs Autonomous.... people who buy DCT because of traffic love to be able to have fun when it opens up but not have a jacked left leg from shifting in traffic. People who want the DCT on the track is because they want to improve THEIR skills by tenths of a second and not because it's easier or they are lazy to do it themselves. That's a bit of a slippery slope don't you think?

If you buy a car to have fun while driving, would you ever even use autonomous mode unless your on a highway road trip? Probably not. But you could have a ton of fun with a DCT.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 3
Al1969532.50
aerobat136.50
      07-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #103
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post

10/10 so true on all aspects
Appreciate 3
Al1969532.50
dmk087318.00
      07-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #104
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I'm certainly not the official spokesperson for all guys who drive a DCT on track but I can speak for myself. I chose a dct for my everyday driving, if I had a pure track car I would probably have chosen a manual regardless of track times.
Appreciate 1
Al1969532.50
      07-11-2018, 12:47 AM   #105
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

After having manual transmission sports cars my whole life, I went with the DCT on my M2 and couldn't be happier. I first got hooked on the superiority of a dual clutch trans when I drove my buddy's 911 with the PDK. I'm not putting down the MT, but the DCT is superior in every way. I feel like I can be more focused on the actual drive. There is a reason pretty much most professional race series in the world operate with cars that run some form of DCT.
Appreciate 1
Al1969532.50
      07-11-2018, 02:34 AM   #106
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Quote:

I understand that this is written as some kind of irony or sarcasm. To some extent I can agree that in my subjective opinion a Miata is best suited for MT. (even though I never driven one with DCT).

But, maybe you and some others should consider that there might be humans actually choosing a M2 DCT by their free will, just because they find it more fun to drive or faster or easier or harder or cooler or a better overall package or any combination of those or other reasons.
And those humans may be mentally stable or instable, living on the country or in high traffic areas, be trackers or Sunday drivers or whatsoever.

The thing I can give you right in is that most sports car buyers just do not by a car based on logic. Irrational feelings makes people buy strange cars that often gives the owner great pleasure. For some (appearently) the most important is that the car is a MT, others have to have a boxer six behind them, some want a cab and others doesn't care about anything else but their neighbors envy . And then there are some some strange people actually love the superfast gearchange of a DCT gearbox.
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe

Last edited by aerobat; 07-11-2018 at 04:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
Al1969532.50
heavyD^23688.50
      07-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #107
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
I understand that this is written as some kind of irony or sarcasm. To some extent I can agree that in my subjective opinion a Miata is best suited for MT. (even though I never driven one with DCT).

But, maybe you and some others should consider that there might be humans actually choosing a M2 DCT by their free will, just because they find it more fun to drive or faster or easier or harder or cooler or a better overall package or any combination of those or other reasons.
And those humans may be mentally stable or instable, living on the country or in high traffic areas, be trackers or Sunday drivers or whatsoever.

The thing I can give you right in is that most sports car buyers just do not by a car based on logic. Irrational feelings makes people buy strange cars that often gives the owner great pleasure. For some (appearently) the most important is that the car is a MT, others have to have a boxer six behind them, some want a cab and others doesn't care about anything else but their neighbors envy . And then there are some some strange people actually love the superfast gearchange of a DCT gearbox.
Yes, I think you follow me. There's a cavernous difference between logic and emotion. I'm not passing judgement or looking negatively upon you for choosing the DCT, just as my wife doesn't look negatively upon me for liking Canadian Bacon on my pizza even though she thinks it's crazy to choose that over pepperoni. Logically she gets it and still loves me, emotionally she thinks that I may have been dropped on my head as a baby. Big difference, and I think you understand what I was writing.

And of course I wasn't suggesting that the three particular reasons I listed for buying a DCT were the only 3 possible reasons for doing so. I stopped at 3 merely in the interest of time...there may be 41,893 reasons but I have a family to feed and don't have time for a list that large. Were I to attempt a full list, I would gladly include "freewill" as one of many reasons to choose a DCT. I may also include "Possible Manchurian Candidate" on the list, not to offend but simply to be thorough.

And yes, my post was typed with much joy and gaiety. That's just how I roll.
Appreciate 5
      07-11-2018, 09:47 AM   #108
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I think you follow me. There's a cavernous difference between logic and emotion. I'm not passing judgement or looking negatively upon you for choosing the DCT, just as my wife doesn't look negatively upon me for liking Canadian Bacon on my pizza even though she thinks it's crazy to choose that over pepperoni. Logically she gets it and still loves me, emotionally she thinks that I may have been dropped on my head as a baby. Big difference, and I think you understand what I was writing.

And of course I wasn't suggesting that the three particular reasons I listed for buying a DCT were the only 3 possible reasons for doing so. I stopped at 3 merely in the interest of time...there may be 41,893 reasons but I have a family to feed and don't have time for a list that large. Were I to attempt a full list, I would gladly include "freewill" as one of many reasons to choose a DCT. I may also include "Possible Manchurian Candidate" on the list, not to offend but simply to be thorough.

And yes, my post was typed with much joy and gaiety. That's just how I roll.
I like your style, and your cat.
Appreciate 2
Al1969532.50
      07-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #109
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Manual transmission for sure!! Best theft deterrent around.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #110
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I've gone back and forth on the manual-or-not argument so many times with myself (uh, and with my SO who just wants a transportation pod rather than a car...sigh). Crappy 70's slushboxes for a few years in my early days, 20+ years with manuals, 5 years with BMW Auto's (that crap GM 6-speed auto in my E90, then two ZF 8's). Part of me will always want to go back to the manual, but I went DCT for my failing left knee, many of the DCT-positive reasons above, and because I've never HAD a DCT. If I like it 10% more than I liked the ZF-8 in my 340, I'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
Al1969532.50