BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Is now a bad time to buy a used M2 ?

11-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M Competition

Is now a bad time to buy a used M2 ?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys. Long time member but this is my first thread from the UK.

I've been looking through the forums and can't decide if this is a bad time or not to be buying a used M2. Test drove one the other week and loved it. What a car. With news of the M2 CS coming in March 2018 is now a bad time to buy a standard M2. What is the future of the current standard car?

My thinking is the CS will be min £10k more than a standard M2 so standard cars won't be impacted by it in terms of resale as the CS will be limited numbers and more of a collectors car than a daily. However, one thing that concerns me is that will BMW change the standard M2 next year despite them just releasing the LCI. People are talking about the M4 engine being used in all M2s and the current engine not being compliant with emissions so it will be phased out. Also are there plans to launch a new 2 series soon? If so that will mean a new M2 shortly after the release of the new car.

I really want to get back into an M car, and I've have found a car to buy. I miss my e46 M3 so much, but don't want to get into a car that will be a financial disaster. Your thoughts and knowledge on this would be much appreciated folks. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Stop worrying about money, it's only money.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by look585 View Post
Stop worrying about money, it's only money.
In an ideal world I wouldn't need to worry about money!! I just don't want to buy an M2 and then discover I should have waited a few more months. Basically all I need to know is what's the future of the current LCI car. When do BMW have plans to change it?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4SW View Post

I've been looking through the forums and can't decide if this is a bad time or not to be buying a used M2. Test drove one the other week and loved it. What a car. With news of the M2 CS coming in March 2018 is now a bad time to buy a standard M2. What is the future of the current standard car?

My thinking is the CS will be min £10k more than a standard M2 so standard cars won't be impacted by it in terms of resale as the CS will be limited numbers and more of a collectors car than a daily. However, one thing that concerns me is that will BMW change the standard M2 next year despite them just releasing the LCI. People are talking about the M4 engine being used in all M2s and the current engine not being compliant with emissions so it will be phased out. Also are there plans to launch a new 2 series soon? If so that will mean a new M2 shortly after the release of the new car.

I really want to get back into an M car, and I've have found a car to buy. I miss my e46 M3 so much, but don't want to get into a car that will be a financial disaster. Your thoughts and knowledge on this would be much appreciated folks. Thanks in advance.
Here are my thoughts:
On the E46 M3, I see prices of those holding up very well if you get the right one. A manual with black or cloth interior will hold up well in value. If you can find a CSP or even a no sunroof, car that is clean, those cars will hold their value well. They are last of the NA BMWs and will be desired for a long time if well taken care of.

In the US, you can only buy bloated M2s with power seats, folding mirrors and leather seats. In Europe you can get lighter manual seats and less options so the CS seems less relevant for me in Europe than in the US where they might offer us the lighter manual seats at a higher price.

You don't live in Germany where there are no speed limits and really these cars are reaching the limits of rear traction so I would find a clean stripped M2 with manual seats and that will be the best financial decision. It will be a little lighter and do 98% of what the CS will do for 30% less.

That is my two cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

I would be in a holding pattern right now myself if in the market unless you want the current model more so than the new to be released "competition". Once that is released the dust will settle. There is a chance that the current model actually becomes more desirable, who knows?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:

Here are my thoughts:
On the E46 M3, I see prices of those holding up very well if you get the right one. A manual with black or cloth interior will hold up well in value. If you can find a CSP or even a no sunroof, car that is clean, those cars will hold their value well. They are last of the NA BMWs and will be desired for a long time if well taken care of.

In the US, you can only buy bloated M2s with power seats, folding mirrors and leather seats. In Europe you can get lighter manual seats and less options so the CS seems less relevant for me in Europe than in the US where they might offer us the lighter manual seats at a higher price.

You don't live in Germany where there are no speed limits and really these cars are reaching the limits of rear traction so I would find a clean stripped M2 with manual seats and that will be the best financial decision. It will be a little lighter and do 98% of what the CS will do for 30% less.

That is my two cents worth.
That does make sense re a 'lightweight spec' manual M2 being close to a CS. I actually drove both DCT and manual and given it's my daily and used for commuting 3 days a week I'm torn between the two. Anyway, I'm sure with another test drive I'll be able to choose.

I seem to keep reading about possible changes to the car and don't want to buy one if it's about to undergo a major change / refresh. Is there a change coming aside from the launch of the CS?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When do BMW have plans to change it?
Release date supposedly July 2018. Read through the two dedicated threads above if you have some patience.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
In an ideal world I wouldn't need to worry about money!! I just don't want to buy an M2 and then discover I should have waited a few more months. Basically all I need to know is what's the future of the current LCI car. When do BMW have plans to change it?
There is no future for the current car unless you want a CS, just buy it if you want it, should hold its value better than most cars on the market if thats what your concerned about.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      11-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
That does make sense re a 'lightweight spec' manual M2 being close to a CS. I actually drove both DCT and manual and given it's my daily and used for commuting 3 days a week I'm torn between the two. Anyway, I'm sure with another test drive I'll be able to choose.

I seem to keep reading about possible changes to the car and don't want to buy one if it's about to undergo a major change / refresh. Is there a change coming aside from the launch of the CS?
As I said, you guys can get lighter M2s than we can in the USA so that seals it for me. What makes the M2 special is that it is an amazing well rounded package that is fun to drive. It is not the fastest car out there and the CS will not either. A cheaper Cayman will destroy it on most tracks. Some 80 year old guy in a Tesla will humiliate you so chasing top speed is silly and not what M2 is about. Fun to drive is the secret formula so chasing the highest horsepower really doesn't make sense. It is a car with a back seat that CAN challenge a car like the Cayman S so if you can find a lightweight version in Europe used you will have several benefits over an ultra rare CS version.

1. Already saved money on depreciation.

2. Special edition cars suck. I have a 1M coupe that is very difficult to replace. It only has 21K miles and is 6 years old. This is a burden! I find myself wanting an M2 because I don't consider it as special so I could enjoy it more and it does almost everything the 1M does. I know other 1M owners that want an M2 to put snow tires on for the same reason. They want the fun of a 1M without the stress of having an irreplaceable car.

3.Being in England have another problem in that your cars are right hand drive. So people if left-hand drive countries looking to pay top dollar would be looking at LHD first. There is higher demand worldwide for LHD cars (except for Japanese cars) So again, you would be paying a premium and it might not pay off.

4. Everyone is mesmerized by HP but that is myopic mass group think. What matters is HP per lb with weight being the most important. A 5000 lb car with a 1000 hp will not handle as well 2500 lb car with 500 hp. They have the same HP/LB ration but the lighter car is better.

5. Getting a DCT is a bad investment. They have more issues long term and manual transmission rear wheel drive cars are coming to an end. You brought up "is this a bad time?" It is a horrible time to not buy a manual. They will end any year now and you will be sitting on a dime a dozen DCT. The manuals will be desireable in the future and command higher prices for this type of car. You will not see want ads in 10 year....wanted M2 automatic! No, the want ads will be looking for M2 MT! If you prefer automatic, that's cool, get what makes you happy but you are including questions about cost and value so I offer these thoughts. Buying a DCT M2, if you like driving manual, is the dumbest move ever! You can still get one today and if you like manual, you better get it now!

If I could special order an E46 Competition Package M3 with manual gearbox and no sunroof today, I would sell both my BMWs and order it! I missed that boat. You can still find a manual M2 today, don't squander your chance!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Nebula View Post
Quote:
When do BMW have plans to change it?
Release date supposedly July 2018. Read through the two dedicated threads above if you have some patience.
I assume you are talking about the CS release date?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

I was in this debate as my collection date grew closer. I had already placed my order for My18 end if summer. I wanted to enjoy the current car already and didn't really want to wait basically another year at least. Could be longer depending on availability. If anything I can always assess the situation in the next year or two or just keep my current M2. I figure if you haven't already ordered yet and can wait, maybe see what is announced. You should still be able to put in an order for a MY18 M2 and maybe might even get a discount.
      11-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Starting July 2018 the N55 M2 will no longer made and the MY19 detuned S55 M2 Competition will replace it. We don't know cost yet. If the cost is low and the car isn't terrible I expect used N55 prices to go down, especially in the UK. If the cost is high, then perhaps used prices won't go down much. It doesn't appear that the M2 Competition will be any more limited than the N55 M2, but anything can happen. Obviously the M2 Competition will be hard to get initially no matter if limited or not.

If you're looking for a deal on a used N55 M2 then it makes sense to at least wait until they announce the M2 Competition that will replace it just to see what happens. I mean basically it's 6 months or less to find out what happens with N55 used prices.
Appreciate 1
M4SW54.00
      11-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
M4SW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Starting July 2018 the N55 M2 will no longer made and the MY19 detuned S55 M2 Competition will replace it. We don't know cost yet. If the cost is low and the car isn't terrible I expect used N55 prices to go down, especially in the UK. If the cost is high, then perhaps used prices won't go down much. It doesn't appear that the M2 Competition will be any more limited than the N55 M2, but anything can happen. Obviously the M2 Competition will be hard to get initially no matter if limited or not.

If you're looking for a deal on a used N55 M2 then it makes sense to at least wait until they announce the M2 Competition that will replace it just to see what happens. I mean basically it's 6 months or less to find out what happens with N55 used prices.
Thanks. Very helpful.

I'm surprised they are dropping the standard M2 given it's been so well received. If they put a M3/M4 engine in the M2 CS will they not also produce a standard M2 as well. They've kept the M3 and M4 and brought out a CS. Will they not have two levels of M2 also?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Very helpful.

I'm surprised they are dropping the standard M2 given it's been so well received. If they put a M3/M4 engine in the M2 CS will they not also produce a standard M2 as well. They've kept the M3 and M4 and brought out a CS. Will they not have two levels of M2 also?
The M2 Competition will be replacing the standard M2 is the best information we have today. They might also offer some special editions next year who knows, but I have not heard anything. The M2 Competition will be the base model going forward for MY19.
Appreciate 1
M4SW54.00
      11-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

The N55 engine must finish production by July 2018 due to regulations so the M2 will either:

be dropped and replaced with the M2cs (S55)

or

the B58 will replace the N55 and we will have another LCI (in addition to the M2cs)

No one knows though.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 11-23-2017 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
M4SW54.00
      11-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
JPizzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster S

Two LCI’s back to back? Has bmw ever done that?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post

if only it were that simple...
      11-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #18
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep

Here "We" Go Again.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #19
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzz View Post
Two LCI’s back to back? Has bmw ever done that?
The F80 has had 2 LCI updates.

And i can't imagine it would be very hard to throw a B58 into an M2 when the M240 already has it.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
if only it were that simple...
Well regardless, somewhere between now and Summer 2018 we are going to know what's going on with MY19 M2s and the S55. So since he is looking at the used market anyway AND he is the UK which has a glut of used M2s sitting around waiting to be sold, seems like he might as well wait. It seems likely in three months we will know all the facts and he can make a more informed decision.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
AngryBaby344.50
      11-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #21
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Very helpful.

Maybe you should forget the name "CS" and all the marketing, raise price etc it comes with. For what we know It will be called "Competition" and replacing the based M2 for summer 2018.

Back to your main question I would wait few months (2/3, not more) for the official release at your place. Then you have two plans regarding your budget:
  • Go check the used M2 (LCI) market and have one with a better price regarding the effect of the new M2 and the age of the first M2.
  • Go to your delearship for a new M2 (LCI) available in their supply and have a (really) good discount.

Instagram: @MrYLT
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 02:52 AM   #22
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

There are some really good discounts available on new M2 LCI UK cars at the moment. 10% +

That was unheard of in first 12-15 months.

Not many used LCI currently but more coming. Add pre registered vehicles into the mix and there’s a good choice.

Trouble is. I’d be jumping in we’re it not for the M2 Competition. Really struggling with what to do.

Could get new and run it for 10 months. Make just about cover the hit with a good discount.
Appreciate 0