BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Chris Harris Drives the M2...AGAIN! "It's an M3"

01-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #89
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Should've, would've, could've.

Too bad for the crybabies in this thread that BMW didn't feel that was appropriate. The M2 is the M2 and the M3 is the M3.

The M2 "could've & should've" had an S-series engine as well. But it is neither an M3 nor does it have a Motorsport engine.
Besides what BMW already did to the M2 engine.

What makes an S series engine besides the S?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #90
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilberGrau ZHP View Post
With BMW car sales firmly in the tank- they should up production of the M2 and make more dolor choices- maybe I'd buy one- not waiting a year and for colors I am not overly crazy about. So an few couple thousand people in America have one - who cares great for the brand and us drivers. After all they will make as many M3's and M4's as the audience will take- M2 is the other way around.
^^^this^^^
M2' production should be cranked up
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #91
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEOF40 FS M3 View Post
I have driven all M cars in the last 20 years including all new Ms and own some of them. The M2 is only good when compared to the new M cars M3 and M4 but outside of that is just another Turbo car which is heavy to be a sports car. It has Turbo lag and sounds awful like the M3 and M4. It can be a nice grocery car with a manual transmission, just fun for a little while but boring in the long run. It is a good looking car, the front fascia is the best part of it.

BMW and the M Divison have become a marketing brand that builts car for the masses. M badges for everyone diluting brand.

The M2 isn't heavier than an E46 M3 and probably lighter than the E92 M3. As for the engine. Well, I kind of like turbo engines as it makes it more powerful for normal driving.

As a final note. I can't afford a 991 GTS and you're comparing apples with oranges. The M2 is great for what it is. No need for some stuck up rich guy coming here telling us that our cars are crap...
Dear Verdi,

The first part of your post is fine and the good thing about life is that we do not all have to agree on what we like and we dont like.
This is a forum about cars and we all like different things and have different opinions.

The second part of your post it is uncalled for, no need for personal attacks especially when you dont know who I am.

And btw I am not rich and I work hard for what I got but again everything in the universe is relative.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #92
bgalex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3, F10 M5

Still dislike the exterior, interior, and everything about the car it self. Weird design, but to each their own
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #93
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Dear Verdi,

The first part of your post is fine and the good thing about life is that we do not all have to agree on what we like and we dont like.
This is a forum about cars and we all like different things and have different opinions.

The second part of your post it is uncalled for, no need for personal attacks especially when you dont know who I am.

And btw I am not rich and I work hard for what I got but again everything in the universe is relative.
Hey rich guy, what did you like better, your current e92 or the e36?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #94
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

here we go
Attached Images

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 1
Geo_33534.50
      01-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #95
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
I have driven all M cars in the last 20 years including all new Ms and own some of them. The M2 is only good when compared to the new M cars M3 and M4 but outside of that is just another Turbo car which is heavy to be a sports car. It has Turbo lag and sounds awful like the M3 and M4. It can be a nice grocery car with a manual transmission, just fun for a little while but boring in the long run. It is a good looking car, the front fascia is the best part of it.

BMW and the M Divison have become a marketing brand that builts car for the masses. M badges for everyone diluting brand.
I have to agree. The M cars to me were always crazy versions of the standard car. E46 has a bigger inline 6 but with a 1,500 rpm higher redline and and insanely good chassis. The e90 had a small V8 that also went to insanely fast engine speeds. these two were much different than there standard cars. The 335 could be as fast but not as "good" if that makes sense. But the new m cars are just tuned versions of their standard cars. 340 to an M3 could be obtained with good suspension components and a tune which brings the appeal down. I'm sure we're just stuck in our ways a bit. I'm not against progression but it doesn't seem like there's progress. Numbers don't matter it's the enjoyment of driving and as seen on these forums and online, the newer m cars don't really compare to the old ones when comparing the feel you get when you drive it.
Appreciate 2
Law6381.00
      01-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #96
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Quote:

I have to agree. The M cars to me were always crazy versions of the standard car. E46 has a bigger inline 6 but with a 1,500 rpm higher redline and and insanely good chassis. The e90 had a small V8 that also went to insanely fast engine speeds. these two were much different than there standard cars. The 335 could be as fast but not as "good" if that makes sense. But the new m cars are just tuned versions of their standard cars. 340 to an M3 could be obtained with good suspension components and a tune which brings the appeal down. I'm sure we're just stuck in our ways a bit. I'm not against progression but it doesn't seem like there's progress. Numbers don't matter it's the enjoyment of driving and as seen on these forums and online, the newer m cars don't really compare to the old ones when comparing the feel you get when you drive it.
Go try those comparos and report back. A tuned 340 isn't even close in terms of feel or performance compared to a stock F80/82 - first hand experience. Night and day.

When that torque hits in my M3, I'm pretty damn happy. All you old folks stuck in the past. Change is good. Progression is good. Stop whining so much. It's painful to read despite my efforts to scan through the nostalgic posts.

While it doesn't scratch my itch, the M2 should make every satisfied BMW owner happy that BMW can still get it right. That bodes well for the future ///M and regular series variants.
Appreciate 4
Robin_NL8716.00
Geo_33534.50
      01-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #97
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Go try those comparos and report back. A tuned 340 isn't even close in terms of feel or performance compared to a stock F80/82 - first hand experience. Night and day.

When that torque hits in my M3, I'm pretty damn happy. All you old folks stuck in the past. Change is good. Progression is good. Stop whining so much. It's painful to read despite my efforts to scan through the nostalgic posts.

While it doesn't scratch my itch, the M2 should make every satisfied BMW owner happy that BMW can still get it right. That bodes well for the future ///M and regular series variants.
Im in my 20's I hardly qualify as an old timer. But if we're talking straight line speed I'm sorry to break it to you but you can achieve your stock power easily from a 35/40i engine. I wasn't at all downgrading the performance of the M3 I very much respect it but my point was in terms of experience, which is subjective and varies amongst different drivers so I don't see the need for an argument.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #98
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

I didn't know Chris Harris could be annoying reviewing cars. Did he smoke crack before this review?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #99
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Im in my 20's I hardly qualify as an old timer. But if we're talking straight line speed I'm sorry to break it to you but you can achieve your stock power easily from a 35/40i engine. I wasn't at all downgrading the performance of the M3 I very much respect it but my point was in terms of experience, which is subjective and varies amongst different drivers so I don't see the need for an argument.
We're not talking straight line speed though, are we?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 04:02 AM   #100
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalex View Post
Still dislike the exterior, interior, and everything about the car it self. Weird design, but to each their own
check your eyes man
Appreciate 1
AlexCirci496.50
      01-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #101
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
I completely disagree. My M2 is superior in every way to my E46 and gives me plenty of driver enjoyment. If I wanted the purist possible feel from a car, I'd go and get a car from the 80s with no power steering. Can't beat that for purity!!
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      01-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #102
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Why can't the M2 just be the M2? Why does it have to be something else, unless you wish it was called the M3?
Similes make for quick, accurate descriptions.
It's also a manifestation of us geezers longing for the good ol days "cause they don't make them like they used to."
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #103
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox73 View Post
Actually, I'll split the difference with you...looks like it's a 22 (almost 23) year grudge, not 24:

"The E36 M3 debuted in February 1992 and was in the dealer's showrooms in November that year. It was the first M3 powered by a straight-six engine; the engine used was a 2,990 cc (182 cu in) S50, which produced 210 kW (282 hp).

Initially available as a coupé only, BMW introduced M3 convertible and saloon versions in 1994, the absence of any M5 models in the BMW line-up between the end of E34 M5 production in 1995 and the launch of the E39 M5 in 1998 prompted the introduction of the 4-door Motorsport model."

Also: http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...an_m/1994.html
Another deprived US perspective...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #104
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
I completely disagree. My M2 is superior in every way to my E46 and gives me plenty of driver enjoyment. If I wanted the purist possible feel from a car, I'd go and get a car from the 80s with no power steering. Can't beat that for purity!!
Agree. My M2, and I've only had it six days, is leaps and bounds better than my E46 M3 was, and I loved that car.

So far it feels like it handles much better than my E92 M3, too.

Put that in your "purist" pipe and smoke it, M hipsters.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8716.00
SoCalRob281.00
      01-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #105
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
Agree. My M2, and I've only had it six days, is leaps and bounds better than my E46 M3 was, and I loved that car.

LOL Congrats. Off course it steers, turns in lightyears better than E90/92 M3. Been there done that.

And you know what? In front of me German carmag Sportauto Issue 2/2017.
A test between 718 Cayman, Audi TTS and M240i with the marvellous B58(so they say)

Conclusion. Pricewise and MPG wise the M240i wins. But it's way too fat(1578kg) vs M2 and the rest. 718 wins overall.

It did a 1:15.00 at Hockenheim Short.
M2 1:12.2 as I recall.

Left is TTS, middle M240i, right 718:

And take a look at this score: M2: 78 points. Still number 1 (after 2seater Cayman*deep bow to Porsche*) And we're talking serous sh1t here: Sportauto Carmag...

Anyway enjoy your M2, the REAL M car!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #106
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
Quote:
Haha I wasn't saying it doesn't provide enjoyment? I was saying there's more of an excitement of driving an e46 than any of the newer BMWs. It's opinion, sure. But it seems like plenty of people share mine. But then again, everyone has their opinions. I'm glad we have different view points on it. Makes for good conversation.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #107
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Loving the butthurt of all the folks that are too stuck up or insecure to just admit BMW hit a homerun with the M2.

The car isn't for everybody, but you can't say it's not a proper M-machine.
Appreciate 3
D CHOI581.00
Robin_NL8716.00
      01-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #108
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
But the new m cars are just tuned versions of their standard cars. 340 to an M3 could be obtained with good suspension components and a tune which brings the appeal down. I'm sure we're just stuck in our ways a bit. I'm not against progression but it doesn't seem like there's progress. Numbers don't matter it's the enjoyment of driving and as seen on these forums and online, the newer m cars don't really compare to the old ones when comparing the feel you get when you drive it.
Which previous series of M cars got its own bespoke aluminium sub-frame bolted directly to the car? Are you for real with this BS? M cars have never been further from their base cars than this generation.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      01-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #109
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post

LOL Congrats. Off course it steers, turns in lightyears better than E90/92 M3. Been there done that.

And you know what? In front of me German carmag Sportauto Issue 2/2017.
A test between 718 Cayman, Audi TTS and M240i with the marvellous B58(so they say)

Conclusion. Pricewise and MPG wise the M240i wins. But it's way too fat(1578kg) vs M2 and the rest. 718 wins overall.

It did a 1:15.00 at Hockenheim Short.
M2 1:12.2 as I recall.

Left is TTS, middle M240i, right 718:

And take a look at this score: M2: 78 points. Still number 1 (after 2seater Cayman*deep bow to Porsche*) And we're talking serous sh1t here: Sportauto Carmag...

Anyway enjoy your M2, the REAL M car!

Cheers
Robin
Light years ahead of an E92 M3? I'm glad you love your M2 but let's not get too carried away. Let's love our M2's for what they are and avoid the exaggerated negative comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #110
Godchild14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
Apologize if already posted. Enjoy!

http://www.topgear.com/videos/top-ge...-harris-bmw-m2

Quote:
“It takes you back to when driving was brilliantly simple…” So says Chris Harris about the BMW M2.

Watch as he tests BMW’s baby super-coupe out on track. Cue some science, and some pretty serious skids…
Attachment 1556323
It's true the new M2 is really The Old M3 I've driven this bad boy on the LimeRock Track and it was amazing comparing it to the new M3 that Lag and M4 that's just ok I had more fun with the M2 it felt like I was in my car the quick responsiveness just pure joy