BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 owners regrets for MT or DCT

07-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #111
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
I regret even considering a DCT. Time I'll never get back.
As I have told two of my buddies who were having internal conflict, a true manual transmission guy never considers an automated gearbox of any kind. I was torn for a short time when I was considering my order but I guess old age has made me a DCT guy now. I have a buddy who is diehard manual and recently drove a 911 GTS in Germany for a week with a PDK and he is suddenly torn. Its interesting to see a perspective change after some first hand experience. Fact is both are great, we are fortunate to actually be able to make a choice. So few cars offer one these days. We should celebrate that versus debating the merits of each.
Appreciate 2
Rupes1054.50
      07-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #112
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobat View Post
I understand that this is written as some kind of irony or sarcasm. To some extent I can agree that in my subjective opinion a Miata is best suited for MT. (even though I never driven one with DCT).

But, maybe you and some others should consider that there might be humans actually choosing a M2 DCT by their free will, just because they find it more fun to drive or faster or easier or harder or cooler or a better overall package or any combination of those or other reasons.
And those humans may be mentally stable or instable, living on the country or in high traffic areas, be trackers or Sunday drivers or whatsoever.

The thing I can give you right in is that most sports car buyers just do not by a car based on logic. Irrational feelings makes people buy strange cars that often gives the owner great pleasure. For some (appearently) the most important is that the car is a MT, others have to have a boxer six behind them, some want a cab and others doesn't care about anything else but their neighbors envy . And then there are some some strange people actually love the superfast gearchange of a DCT gearbox.
There is nothing "rational" about buying an M2 and thank the God I don't believe in for that. These cars are about fun and we get to choose what our brand of fun is, for some its rowing their own gears and some love the amazingly quick shifts of the DCT. Nothing wrong with either but if we were rational we would be driving Accords.
Appreciate 2
Al1969530.50
aerobat134.50
      07-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #113
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Quote:
As I have told two of my buddies who were having internal conflict, a true manual transmission guy never considers an automated gearbox of any kind. I was torn for a short time when I was considering my order but I guess old age has made me a DCT guy now. I have a buddy who is diehard manual and recently drove a 911 GTS in Germany for a week with a PDK and he is suddenly torn. Its interesting to see a perspective change after some first hand experience. Fact is both are great, we are fortunate to actually be able to make a choice. So few cars offer one these days. We should celebrate that versus debating the merits of each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Quote:
My SA pushed hard for the DCT and I test drove a DCT M4 they had in the showroom. I made the decision for a MT when I test drove a manual GTI my wife was looking at. I knew the second I stepped on the clutch pedal I'd be going MT for the M2. And the first heal/toe downshift was conformation. It really comes down to whether you consider having a MT as being engaged with the car or a PITA.

Most people think of a car as an appliance and engagement is the last thing they want. They want convenience. The less they do the better. When I'm driving, I think about ... driving. Call me crazy. I know if I had a DCT it would find its way into auto mode, especially in the city. And since you can barely get out of 3rd legally given the speed limits and the car, my only fun with a DCT would be at the track. So, MT it is.

Anyway, that's the thinking behind my earlier post. And I respect everyone's personal decision and their own reasoning.

Now get off my lawn!
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #114
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
No shame in that game and yet it doesn't happen. :

I think around 40-60% of DCT regret is probably due to dudes "buying a car their wife can drive. "

15 -20 years ago when men were MEN, they happily bought the 5MT because it meant she wouldn't want to drive the sportscar. Of course back then if your wife was was a real WOMAN, she already knew how to drive a manual.
I taught my wife and my kids how to drive a stick. She currently has an Audi A4 stick.
My Ex wife and any long term GF I've been with drive MT. Current GF drives my 1M on track.

I wish I were as successful with the offspring. One child. AT driver. 325 vert.

Note.. Also Hasn't driven a 1M.. so....
I'm still on the mt vs dct fence but I thoroughly enjoy passing cars I wouldn't be able to pass if I was messing with a manual gearbox.
      07-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #115
Banilejo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

double post

Last edited by Banilejo; 07-12-2018 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #116
Banilejo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

It’s all personal preference, we should be glad the M2 offers the choice specially at this price point.

I’ve owned manuals all my life and enjoy it immensely, but I went for the DCT mainly for convenience since I was replacing two cars (one fun car and one winter car - both manuals). My commute in the past couple of years turned into mostly crawling on the highway, I was not enjoying my manual cars 90% of the time I drove them.

If the M2 was a car to drive just for fun I would get the manual (but I probably would not have bought the M2 for that).

Now I can do the daily grind on the commute without much fuss in full auto/comfort mode and still have fun when the opportunity arises. Car handles great and is plenty fast for me.
Appreciate 1
Al1969530.50
      07-13-2018, 02:27 AM   #117
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Drove a M2 MT for almost an hour yesterday. On and off Track.(haven't done so since I bought my DCT 1.5 years ago).
There was a small but clearly noticeable lag when shifting up. Not much but disturbing I would say.
Is this something that can be noticed in all MT or was there something wrong with this car?
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 1
Al1969530.50
      07-13-2018, 02:58 AM   #118
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
It’s all personal preference, we should be glad the M2 offers the choice specially at this price point.

I’ve owned manuals all my life and enjoy it immensely, but I went for the DCT mainly for convenience since I was replacing two cars (one fun car and one winter car - both manuals). My commute in the past couple of years turned into mostly crawling on the highway, I was not enjoying my manual cars 90% of the time I drove them.

If the M2 was a car to drive just for fun I would get the manual (but I probably would not have bought the M2 for that).

Now I can do the daily grind on the commute without much fuss in full auto/comfort mode and still have fun when the opportunity arises. Car handles great and is plenty fast for me.

Bought the M2 just for fun

Bought the M2 with DCT

Bought the DCT for my wife

Enjoy (almost) all the time the DCT in sport+ manual mode

Will probably move to MT for next one
Appreciate 1
aerobat134.50
      07-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #119
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

The only thing I don't like about the DCT is that you can't brake torque it.
      07-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #120
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I have a manual, but my last M3 was DCT. I have to say, I miss DCT. I’d never claim to be a superstar stick driver. My 1st gear start is sometimes not that smooth, and my 1-2 shift is almost never so.

DCT makes you feel like you’re a shifting Superman, there’s a sense of immediacy and control that for most drivers, a manual will never have.
Appreciate 2
Al1969530.50
qnet681.50
      07-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #121
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the DCT is that you can't brake torque it.
Who needs brake torque when you have launch control and smoky burnout mode?
Appreciate 2
Al1969530.50
ChrisK4449.00
      07-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #122
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
M2 Manual will definitely be more engaging and feels more in control (root in my world). However, as a daily drive the M DCT works better in Sydney road condition.

Overall, M2 Manual is more fun but M2 M DCT is technically more advanced car (faster on track and move livable daily).
      07-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #123
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
On every forum, threads regarding MT vs DCT, I've never read a post were an MT owner truly regrets their decision. I've seen plenty of posts by both MT and DCT owners who love and swear by their choice. But I've only seen regrets posted by DCT owners.
on this theme

you will see threads about going manual to dct then back to manual ti recapture driving enjoyment

but you will never see
dct to manual then back to dct because they felt they were missing out on driving enjoyment

case closed
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #124
TheMagician
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
on this theme

you will see threads about going manual to dct then back to manual ti recapture driving enjoyment

but you will never see
dct to manual then back to dct because they felt they were missing out on driving enjoyment

case closed
I was lucky to change my order from DCT to manual.
Appreciate 1
Al1969530.50
      07-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #125
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
DCT makes you feel like you’re a shifting Superman, there’s a sense of immediacy and control that for most drivers, a manual will never have.
Did you just say the DCT gives a sense of control the manual will never have?

I've officially heard it all...
Appreciate 3
bobert858.50
Poochie9103.00
      07-17-2018, 10:11 PM   #126
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
On every forum, threads regarding MT vs DCT, I've never read a post were an MT owner truly regrets their decision. I've seen plenty of posts by both MT and DCT owners who love and swear by their choice. But I've only seen regrets posted by DCT owners.
I guess you haven't looked hard enough because they're out there. I opted for the 6mt and regret it. For the M2 it's just not good with the lack of rev match on/off individual of drive modes and the slight boost lag when shifting gets annoying. When I get the M2C it'll be a DCT. Plus track driving in the DCT is better/faster.
Appreciate 3
Al1969530.50
heavyD^23688.50
      07-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #127
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
Quote:
I guess you haven't looked hard enough because they're out there. I opted for the 6mt and regret it. For the M2 it's just not good with the lack of rev match on/off individual of drive modes and the slight boost lag when shifting gets annoying. When I get the M2C it'll be a DCT. Plus track driving in the DCT is better/faster.
How dare you!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:40 PM   #128
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
I'm still on the mt vs dct fence but I thoroughly enjoy passing cars I wouldn't be able to pass if I was messing with a manual gearbox.
How could that happen? Do you know how to drive a MT car? Just downshift and pass.

I do a lot of passing on 2 lane mountain roads where you need to anticipate the brief opportunities to pass, before the line goes solid on your side again. I've already downshifted long before the opportunity presents itself.

Not brain surgery.
      07-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #129
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
How could that happen? Do you know how to drive a MT car? Just downshift and pass.

I do a lot of passing on 2 lane mountain roads where you need to anticipate the brief opportunities to pass, before the line goes solid on your side again. I've already downshifted long before the opportunity presents itself.

Not brain surgery.
How could dct be faster on the track than manual really? Why are formula cars and newer exotic cars not manual then? Who's talking about passing cars on mountain roads? My response was to @m3adjuster about the track.

My point was I can focus on driving the line instead of shifting but you're right, i must be a total dolt as it's not "neurosurgery".
qnet681.50
      07-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #130
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Most people think of a car as an appliance and engagement is the last thing they want. They want convenience. The less they do the better. When I'm driving, I think about ... driving. Call me crazy. I know if I had a DCT it would find its way into auto mode, especially in the city. And since you can barely get out of 3rd legally given the speed limits and the car, my only fun with a DCT would be at the track. So, MT it is.
Made the same thought process...after driving both.
      07-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #131
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobat View Post
Drove a M2 MT for almost an hour yesterday. On and off Track.(haven't done so since I bought my DCT 1.5 years ago).
There was a small but clearly noticeable lag when shifting up. Not much but disturbing I would say.
Is this something that can be noticed in all MT or was there something wrong with this car?
Normal!
      07-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #132
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Made the same thought process...after driving both.
Same here but without driving MT car prior to getting one - best decision ever.
Appreciate 1
Al1969530.50