Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
BMW M2 Hidden Hitch Option

FYI, found this while searching for a different vehicle and thought it might be of interest for some.

https://stealthhitches.com/products/bmw-m2-2016-present
Appreciate 1
Yiruna393.50
      02-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
wacobipe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

After a fair bit of research I rolled the dice and ordered a Stealth hitch for my 2018 M2. I put it on last weekend and I am pleased with the quality of the product, ease of installation, and overall results.
One thing to note is that there is significantly more cutting of the heat shield than the directions show (directions are for a 2 series but are otherwise correct) and you must also cut the stock diffuser to make this work. It isn't bad, and the cuts are nearly invisible unless you are laying on the ground, but you do need to cut nonetheless.
The hitch is nearly invisible when not in use as well so I am very pleased with the results!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      02-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

If you put a hitch on a low hanging car, you are going to have a bad time
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
wacobipe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
If you put a hitch on a low hanging car, you are going to have a bad time
I disagree. I had one on my 135 for years with zero issues. This one is even better as there it nothing whatsoever hanging lower than the rear diffuser except when the hitch bar is installed, and the hitch bar is still not as low as the rear differential.

Yes, you need to engage your brain and not do something stupid...but that isn't all that hard!
Appreciate 3
Louv300.50
      02-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm curious... What on earth are you wanting to haul?
      02-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
wacobipe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post
I'm curious... What on earth are you wanting to haul?
I have a small trailer that I use to haul radio control airplanes to the flying field. I’ve also seen people with track trailers that carry a set of track tires, fuel, tools, etc. There are also people who have bikes they may want to transport.

I choose this option over a second vehicle like a truck because I don’t want to buy a second vehicle and I have no place to park one. This is a common approach in Europe (where the M2 has a tow rating and a tow package)...but not in the States.
Appreciate 9
Louv300.50
pz6193275.50
seis-speed2426.00
ORG52.50
Kankles1484.50
ried791.50
      02-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacobipe View Post
I have a small trailer that I use to haul radio control airplanes to the flying field. I’ve also seen people with track trailers that carry a set of track tires, fuel, tools, etc. There are also people who have bikes they may want to transport.

I choose this option over a second vehicle like a truck because I don’t want to buy a second vehicle and I have no place to park one. This is a common approach in Europe (where the M2 has a tow rating and a tow package)...but not in the States.
Ah ok.. That makes total sense! I've seen some pretty crazy pictures of various things hooked up to Corvettes, so I was just wondering
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:00 AM   #8
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That actually looks pretty well sorted but when you have the hitch receiver on it could scrape when leaving parking lots
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #9
wacobipe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That actually looks pretty well sorted but when you have the hitch receiver on it could scrape when leaving parking lots
Yes...you definitely need to be aware of what your doing and think ahead...but only while the tow bar is actually in place. It pops out in seconds so it will only be on the car when it is being used, and removed at all other times.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes...you definitely need to be aware of what your doing and think ahead...but only while the tow bar is actually in place. It pops out in seconds so it will only be on the car when it is being used, and removed at all other times.
I have been thinking of getting a hitch for some time now to haul a Leroy Track Trailer for my Track Tires. Was considering a Curtis Hitch which is much less expensive. On this hitch do you have to splice into the wiring system for the electrical wiring? Overall, how difficult was it to install?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Not bad but the finish work is absolutely horrible...
Attached Images

02-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
wacobipe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN. View Post
Not bad but the finish work is absolutely horrible...
Glad you found something worthwhile to contribute.
Appreciate 4
pz6193275.50
M2Debt98.00
      02-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
wacobipe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
I have been thinking of getting a hitch for some time now to haul a Leroy Track Trailer for my Track Tires. Was considering a Curtis Hitch which is much less expensive. On this hitch do you have to splice into the wiring system for the electrical wiring? Overall, how difficult was it to install?
You do need to splice into the wiring. I would classify the splice connectors included as top quality. The entire wiring harness was of higher quality than the one that came with my Curtis hitch I had on my 135 which came from etrailer.

Difficulty level: it is definitely not a job for a beginner or someone not somewhat familiar with how modern cars are assembled. You do need to remove the entire back bumper and then get it back in place, running the wiring from the battery bay to the rear is a challenge, trimming the heat shield and the diffuser takes some patience, and while the wiring directions are very clear, you should be able to use a multi-meter to verify which wire to splice just in case wire colors are different than the directions.

There was nothing that was hard, it just takes some patience and knowledge. It took me about 6 hours total...I could do it a second time in 3.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
You do need to splice into the wiring. I would classify the splice connectors included as top quality. The entire wiring harness was of higher quality than the one that came with my Curtis hitch I had on my 135 which came from etrailer.

Difficulty level: it is definitely not a job for a beginner or someone not somewhat familiar with how modern cars are assembled. You do need to remove the entire back bumper and then get it back in place, running the wiring from the battery bay to the rear is a challenge, trimming the heat shield and the diffuser takes some patience, and while the wiring directions are very clear, you should be able to use a multi-meter to verify which wire to splice just in case wire colors are different than the directions.

There was nothing that was hard, it just takes some patience and knowledge. It took me about 6 hours total...I could do it a second time in 3.
Any problems breaking tabs while removing your bumper? I read on one thread that this could be a problem.

Last edited by chief1richard; 02-16-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #15
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks, the wiring harness that Curtis advises to use senses the current in the applicable wire which eliminates the need to splice into wires. Overall I like hitch you installed because of the ability to disconnect the hitch and not see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am always afraid of long term effects of towing (plebeian thoughts I know) it destroys the rear suspension and puts strain on transmission
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #17
wacobipe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am always afraid of long term effects of towing (plebeian thoughts I know) it destroys the rear suspension and puts strain on transmission
This could be true if you load the tongue weight incorrectly (max. Tongue weight is 200 lbs). And it definitely is more strain over not towing, just like putting more people in the car is or driving in a spirited manner vs. gently.

If the trailer is loaded correctly, I personally do not see any significant risk and I prefer this to owning a second vehicle, but that’s just my view. I respect someone who chooses not to tow with their car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
(where the M2 has a tow rating and a tow package)...but not in the States.
Wait really? Could you please link me to these numbers, i'd like to grab a hitch for my m2 as well, but I'm worried about how much it can tow.

Because I went on the bmw germany website and found zero info about this on the technical specs portion.
      02-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

So no one has any info on the m2's towing capacity in any region/market of the world?
      02-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
Tanning Machine
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 330Cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

I bet this would discourage people from bump-parking.

#LifeHacks
Yeah, but on the other hand if they smack it good it might not to wonders for your own car . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #21
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Dumb
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #22
chief1richard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Did you use the Tekonsha wiring harness for your hitch? If so is it an A, B, BT,or BTT wiring system?
Appreciate 0